Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

Gas Grill Advice?

There are two things that can make a man sad but happy at the same time, when the old tv goes and he can get a flat screen and second would be when the gas grill goes and you can get a new one. Well its the gas grill - all rusted out. Tired of buying a new one every third year and tired of replacing parts. Any one have any advice on buying a decent grill that won't rust out but won't break the bank either?

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
stcroixman

those weber gas grills are solid and have come way down since I bought mine 8 years ago (of course). All stainless, they are like driving a caddy!!

Also throw a cover or tarp over it for the winter, it will add a couple years to a grill's life.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Bazza

A second vote for the weber. I had a cheap charbroil from HD, and had to replace the burner every year. It never cooked even. I have had the weber for a few years now. Most people I know, who have a weber have been happy with it.
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
spence

Depends on your budget. Under a grand I think the Weber is probably the best bet cost/value.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Notfishinenuf

Have cooked on just about every kind out there. The best so far is Vermont Castings hands down! Keep it covered in the winter and it will outlast all the others.

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Bronko

Vermont Castings has an excellent reputation, top notch. I have a Weber right now that I really like, but the Vermont Castings may be next on my list.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
basswipe

My school of thought here is different.

I bought a $100 Char-Broil.If a part needs to be replaced the generic versions of these parts can be found in almost any Benny's,WallyWorld or Joblot for almost next to nothing which means no hassles.And it works well.I also cover mine after each and every use,it never sees rain unless I'm using it in the rain.

I also have to admit that I do a fair amount of cooking over charcoal/wood in my pit so for me the cheapy is a good option.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

I got a ducane as a christmas present this year and its ok, not great. Prior to that I had a Weber for 10 years. I'd get another one if I was spending my own money.

Another opition is to look into getting a rebuilt unit. At my club we recently purchased a rebuilt weber to use for special outside functions. It cost $100 and works as well as a new $500 one.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Saltheart

Get one with a cast burner manifold. They will outlast the sheet metal manifold models by 10 years or more.

I was given a Charbroil for a present one year and I got to say i am surprised how well its holding up. It does not have the cast manifold which is too bad cause the rest of the grill still looks new.

A stainless one is raelly nice. I imagine a stainless one with the Nickel.iron cast mnifold would probably go 20 years with no p[roblems. Its a case of you get what you pay for. What I do is find the ideal model , then shop for as low a price as possible on it.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

weber, 10 years no problem.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
spence

I don't think there's much difference between the Weber and Vermont Castings. Both are still good but I doubt either is as good as they both once were.

Agree on the stainless burners, that's what mine are and they're very durable. Nearly every part on my grill is stainless and carries a lifetime warranty which is nice. It's an old Kitchen Aid made by Lynx.

Even better are the bronze cast burners. Stainless steel when heated won't last forever.

If you cook with a lot of high heat a cheap burner won't last more than a few seasons.

-spence
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
luds
Night Stalker

If you do go the weber route try to stay away from homies or lowes. If you compare the features that those grills have against what they carry at ace or independant stores you will be surprised at the better quality you get for a small fraction of a cost increase. the most notable thing being better cooking surfaces.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I had a Vermont Castings which was purchased from Home Cheapo---it lasted a whopping year and a half. It was used all winter, too--never sat idle. The company went bankrupt shortly after we bought it, and we couldn't get the parts to fix it

Vermont Castings in under new ownership now, and they're supposedly much better---but our next grill is still going to be a Weber.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
spence

Interestingly enough, I think a lot of the big name grills at the big box stores are just purchased names. Pretty sure both Ducane and Jenn-Air are...

I didn't know VC went under, but it doesn't surprise me if they couldn't navigate the storm after HD started to price squeeze them. When my father bought his Vermont Castings the price difference between HD and the local retailer was more than 50% more. Big difference in quality...

Here's a nice photo of my grill, at least the top of it

-spence
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Raven

Arrow i just don't see the obsession

with Gas grills outdoors except for not
cooking inside the house ect. mess and smoke

because i prefer to BBQ with 100% WOOD charcoal
for the flavor imparted to the meat that you
can never get from a gas grill.

It's almost as if the gas grill has become a
sort of status symbol like a second car
every year they are bigger
soon they'll have TV's built into them

right now they are adding fridges to them
side burners for steaming corn or lobster ect...

and Spence is advertising his favorite Brew on them
like they are a sexy girl in a Bikini with sushi on her Belly.

Just my woodsy opinion though....never mind. )
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
Sea Dangles

Big Green Egg.Smoker,cooker extraordinaire.The Raven way.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
Slingah

I just got a CharGriller with side fire box that I BBQ and smoke with...had to do some modifications on it to make it hold temp
low & slooooooow
lump charcoal and wood for fuel
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I like kickin' it old school! Weber meatball charcoal grill....$99.00 and it will last me 4-5 seasons before its time for new! I do not like the taste of propane on my food...and its inevitable! I do not mind the wait for the coals.....gives me time for a couple cold bottles of suds while I wait!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I'm another one.
10 years with a Weber.
No complaints from my wife at all !
I agree, cooking on a propane grille sucks compared to the old fashioned charcoal grilles !
Sucks we live in a society that we are in a rush for everything compared to when I was a kid !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
with Gas grills outdoors except for not
cooking inside the house ect. mess and smoke

because i prefer to BBQ with 100% WOOD charcoal
for the flavor imparted to the meat that you
can never get from a gas grill.

It's almost as if the gas grill has become a
sort of status symbol like a second car
every year they are bigger
soon they'll have TV's built into them

right now they are adding fridges to them
side burners for steaming corn or lobster ect...

and Spence is advertising his favorite Brew on them
like they are a sexy girl in a Bikini with sushi on her Belly.

Just my woodsy opinion though....never mind. )
To me gas grilling and cooking with smoke are different things. I love the gas grill for it's convenience and heat control. For searing fish skin on cast iron without stinking up the house, making pizza or a perfect crust on a steak they can't be beat.

Smoke is for smoke. I've nearly bought an Egg a few times...perhaps...

-spence
Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #21
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
To me gas grilling and cooking with smoke are different things.

-spence
All i was saying is that i personally prefer real wood charcoal
as apposed to charcoal brickettes that need lighter fluid to ignite.

I like real small portable grills where you can cook anywhere with
only say...a half gallon of real wood charcoal...

there's simply no way you can haul one of these mega grills
around to BBQ at remote locations.... say camping , fishing unless .........
your driving LIKE ...a BIG motor home rig.

I don't own an egg... i have Hibach's and other cheaper Grills.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
Nebe

I have a BBQ pro that I bought at sears 6 years ago.... Works as good today as it did the day I bought it. I keep a tarp over it and keep the inside pretty clean.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
Slingah

Quote:
To me gas grilling and cooking with smoke are different things. I love the gas grill for it's convenience and heat control. For searing fish skin on cast iron without stinking up the house, making pizza or a perfect crust on a steak they can't be beat.

-spence
It sure is....real BBQ takes hours..low & slow
Grilling is HIGH heat
spence knows...he's a cook
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #24
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Interestingly enough, I think a lot of the big name grills at the big box stores are just purchased names. Pretty sure both Ducane and Jenn-Air are...

I didn't know VC went under, but it doesn't surprise me if they couldn't navigate the storm after HD started to price squeeze them. When my father bought his Vermont Castings the price difference between HD and the local retailer was more than 50% more. Big difference in quality...

Here's a nice photo of my grill, at least the top of it

-spence

The box stores order in such volume that they can jam their specs down a manufacturer's throat, and offer "name" brands of inferior quality. A locksmith showed me the difference between a HD Schlage door lock, and the "genuine:"one that hardware stores sold--same was true of Delta faucets. Much cheaper components inside.

I understand that the new owners of Vermont Castings are not allowing their grills to be sold at HD and Blowes.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #25
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
-spence
Yep.....I have a Vermont Castings for Grilling up Steaks, Chicken, and Fish, Dogs and Burgers and anything when its quick I need

I have a Brinkman Side by Side Smoker for the Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Turkey, and anything else that I want low and slow.

Also have a complete Cast Iron Dutch oven setup for when I want to apply the low and slow to Casseroles, Desserts, baked beans, and when I want to fire somethig up over charcoal or Wood Fire and hang around outside.

Quote:
All i was saying is that i personally prefer real wood charcoal
as apposed to charcoal brickettes that need lighter fluid to ignite.
You don't need Lighter Fluid to light Charcoal...I use a Charcoal Chimney and it works pissah, and No fluid flavor on the food

Quote:
I like real small portable grills where you can cook anywhere with
only say...a half gallon of real wood charcoal...

i have Hibach's and other cheaper Grills.
Checkout the Lodge Sportsmans Grill, All Solid Cast iron. I got one of these for X-Mas and it is the Bomb......great for camping and it sears meat the nuts.

Costs a bit but you will never need to buy another Hibachi/Small Grill again.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #26
jredfly
Bait Boy's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I have a BBQ pro that I bought at sears 6 years ago.... Works as good today as it did the day I bought it. I keep a tarp over it and keep the inside pretty clean.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WOW! I wish I took better care of mine. My BBQ Pro is rusting out right where the burners are attached to the base after two years. Did you have the cast iron grate cooking surface? Mine totally rusted out and they wanted $80 for the replacement. The cast iron is supposed to heat up the fastest and be the best for searing but they don't last long with the humidity (as I found out). It is too bad to because I really liked that grill, especially for the price. Got a lot of good advice here. Went out and looked around, some of the new grills look like aircraft carriers. Looking for a good sale on a quality product and was hoping to keep it down around $400 but it looks like I might have to pony up another $100 or so to buy quality. Let me know if you hear of any deals out there.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it - Irish Blessing
jredfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #27
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Also have a complete Cast Iron Dutch oven

You don't need Lighter Fluid to light Charcoal...I use a Charcoal Chimney and it works pissah, and No fluid flavor on the food

Checkout the Lodge Sportsmans Grill, All Solid Cast iron. I got one of these for X-Mas and it is the Bomb......great for camping and it sears meat the nuts.

Costs a bit but you will never need to buy another Hibachi/Small Grill again.
------------------------------ -------------------------------------
i needed a bolt for the wheel barrow so i was shopping @ true value and I just saw the charcoal chimney there...
What a great idea..

of course i'll make one =LOL...too easy

whered ya buy the dutch oven kev?

i am about to go disassemble a stone fire place and haul it away
and rebuild it here just because i want too and i'm rather crazy

i like stone....it's my gymnasium ...i think nothing of moving rocks
so big that you guys wouldn't tow them with your truck.
keeps me strong utilizing all muscles in Unison with max Chi force.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #28
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
whered ya buy the dutch oven kev?
Walmart sometimes carries the 6 quart Dutch Oven for under $50 which is the best price I've seen on it. Thats where I got my 6qt from. The 6 qt is good for cobbler, baked beans, biscuits...even made a Pumpkin Cheesecake pie in it by placing a pie tin in it and using it as an oven.

I have an 8 Qt which is deeper that I can roast a whole chicken in that I scored on Craigslist.....as a matter of fact I gave my son a whole chicken and a bag of potatoes one day and told him to make whatever he wanted with it out in the yard, I came home expecting 1/2 cooked chicked and boiled potatoes.

The Kid made Garlic-Lemon Roasted chicken w/ Rosemary Potatoes and Sauteed green beans out in the yard......... I'll post a pic of it later...it was delicious

Right now I'm trying to find a 10 Qt deep so I can do big roasts and loaves of bread in it.

They sell them on Amazon too....but a little pricey there
Amazon.com: Lodge Logic 6-Quart Pre-Seasoned Camp Dutch Oven: Home & Garden

I think Lodge makes the best Dutch Ovens....real solid and they will last a lifetime.

I posted the Lodge Catalog that lists their entire line...you want the Camp Dutch ovens as they have legs that let them sit above the coals to help with air flow around the charcoal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009_Lodge_Catalog.pdf (1.96 MB, 1011 views)

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #29
Raven

Damn you mr Skinny

you make a man HUNGRY !!!!

of course with all this talk of cooking and grilling meat
i decided i needed a turkey blind because i can hear them cl#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g
and the friggan garden isn't even rototilled yet.

you think ROBINS eat worms...
turkeys will rip your veggies RIGHT out of the ground
with those big ole legs trying to get to them

also the bricks were in the way of moving /sliding my green house ends (wicked heavy)
down the slope ....so I spent the last 3 hours getting creative
and RAVENIZED THEM

into this.....and now i need breakfast and coffee number two

Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #30
Raven

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

I posted the Lodge Catalog that lists their entire line...you want the Camp Dutch ovens as they have legs that let them sit above the coals to help with air flow around the charcoal.
is this the necessary method to bake bread by having it up
higher than the coals...

and are you placing bread pans inside? or no.