Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
spence

Thinking of buying a smoker

Have a really nice gas grill. Probably use it monthly.

Discuss.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Got one via MacoJoe, gave it to my son. He loves cooking on it and smoked everything is very good.

Lots of work, stuff goes in the smoker 10-12hrs before meal so lots of planning and watching.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
WESTPORTMAFIA

Get a vaporizer
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
WESTPORTMAFIA

Jeff if you get one ill be in for some lessons. Always wanted try smoking after trying smoked bluefish. But I get turned away as there is way too much info on smoking that my brain can handle. I'd like to see it done and learn how to do it.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
derf
wishin' i was fishin'

hummm...
i've got a brinkman 3in1 . propane .yea i know ,but i dislike charcoal ...
put wood chips in , fill the water pan ,fire it up .
quick & easy
check the temp every so often .
chicken breasts (boneless)@45 minutes
pork tenderloin @ 1 hour
pork butt 3 hours in the smoker finish in the oven
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
JamesJet

Lots of choices, I have a webber smoky mountain often called wsm or bullet. Bit of a learning curve, but get a book called low and slow. Trust me on that one. If you are used to charcoal now it's really easy.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJet View Post
Lots of choices, I have a webber smoky mountain often called wsm or bullet. Bit of a learning curve, but get a book called low and slow. Trust me on that one. If you are used to charcoal now it's really easy.
PM Tautog. He got a nice on two years ago he likes.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Sea Dangles

Jeff,you like nice things. Get the WSM in the smaller size. I replaced my WSM of 10 years last spring with the same product. These are used in competition frequently and are affordable when compared with the alternatives. Best thing is they are black, which as you know goes with everything. Order from Amazon for free shipping. Great for smoked bluefish pate'.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
spence

The WSM seems like a good value. Having a good gas grill I doubt I would use this for much besides smoking, which would diminish the benefit from a Kamado style cooker at a much higher price point. They do sure look cool though and would be great for pizza.

300 bucks delivered for the small WSM is pretty cheap.

I've done 3 hour smokes for ribs on the gas grill but I can't get it to make enough smoke to really impart good flavor, texture is there though.

-spence
Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

I have the kamado but I really don't want to gunk it up by doing smokes on it (although there is a ribeye roast on deck for Sunday dinner). I have not touched my gas grill in months due to the FLAVOR natural wood imparts. Thighs,porkbutts,ribs and most of all brisket are fantastic on the WSM.Homemade brines,mops and rubs make it fun to experiment. This fall I will try to smoke a turkey which I hear is awesome.Pull the trigger and never look back.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Fly Rod

here is the best buy for your money.... $150.00 - $200.00 ...U can have two levels of cooking with 22 1/2 inch racks bought at a weber store....can smoke 6-10 ribs at a time or one or two....once U buy the parts would take a day to build...I suggest buying a new open ended barrel and just wash out...cost about 68 dollars....3 weber 22 1/2 grills @ 16 -20 bucks each...do not need black iron pipe if U like bending down...pipe plus stainless bolts to hold racks about 30 bucks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel smoker 001.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	57066   Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel smoker 002.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	57067  
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Fly Rod

Do not use a grill thermometer...most R in accurate....for about 69 bucks U can buy a wireless barbecue Maverick ET-732 from Ebay...follow directions U should have no problems.

http://wyntk.us/smoking-times-and-temperatures
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I got a Brinkman Side Barrell Smoker...love it but not great for the winter.....takes a lot of charcoal to maintain temperature in the winter.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
fishsmith
DDG-51

I have a chargriller, it has a propane grill and charcoal grill w/smoker hopper (lowes special) So far the pork ribs have come out the best. I made brisket Saturday, but it didn't come out as good as I hoped, or maybe I'm not a brisket fan ( but I love corned beef). Anywho, I'm hooked and really enjoy the slow cooking. I use oak ... It's mild and I've got an oak tree in my yard. Good luck
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
Do not use a grill thermometer...most R in accurate....for about 69 bucks U can buy a wireless barbecue Maverick ET-732 from Ebay...follow directions U should have no problems.

http://wyntk.us/smoking-times-and-temperatures
Yes, even having a good electric would help on the gas grill.

-spence
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I got a Brinkman Side Barrell Smoker...love it but not great for the winter.....takes a lot of charcoal to maintain temperature in the winter.
That's a good point. Right now I grill year round. Hard to do pizza in the winter but most things are fine once it's gets cranking.

-spence
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Mr. Sandman

I am not a fan of the BBQ type smokers...you can not really control the heat accurately without constant tinkering. You want an electric smoker not one where you build a fire esp for fish. The the basic key to a good smoke (esp with fish) is brine, DRY, smoke at a low temp. You do not want to cook it you want to smoke it.

For this reason, I did a lot of research on these things and have had several smokers over the years. There are lots to choose from. My first one was a little chief from LL bean. I made a lot of good stuff with that thing but it rusts out and it is hard to control the heat.

I eventually went with the Bradley smoker in all SS. The model I have is not made any more and they have gone to an all digital generator that controls temp and smoke precisely.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/product...ectric-smoker/

I have had mine for about 8 years now and only had one minor problem in year 2 and I called them and they replaced the entire smoking unit for free. Excellent customer service and very good equipment.
If I were buying one now...I would buy the newest digital one they have, you will not be sorry. This is what you want... http://www.bradleysmoker.com/product...igital-smoker/

They look like a small refrigerators, are insulated and it controls the heat and smoke better than anything I have seen in a non-commercial machine. Some of the big commercial smokers are incredible but they cost 8-10K+

You have to buy the wood pucks from them. They come in a lot of different types of wood for different flavors. I like alder with fish. I thought that would be a pain but it works so well and is so slick and controlled and there are no screw ups when doing it. I like the system.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 09-24-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Sea Dangles

To me it is the tinkering that is fun. It only takes a couple of smokes to learn how to regulate the temp and a cold bev of choice makes it more than tolerable. My brother has the brinkman and my Dad has a gas smoker but seeing that I just replaced my WSM,you can tell I am satisfied. If you ever tried my smoked jerk chicken thighs you would understand.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Ok, sounds like we need to have an S-B smoke off! I'll be a judge!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
To me it is the tinkering that is fun.
yep...same here. I like to spend the day in the yard putting around and smoking up some ribs, or a whole Turkey

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

And then I don't get an invite?
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #22
Saltheart

I'm amazed at some of the short times reported for smoking. We used to put bluefish on and it took all day.

I think if you are a purist requiring charcoal its going to be a long day of baby sitting. If you can go for other sources of heat , I think the electric ones are the most automatic in terms of temp control. My heart leans towards gas fired but the all day long temp control feedback loop is not there as it is with an electric one.

Anyway ,I love the taste.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
Fly Rod

I too am amazed at the short times...Saltheart U were probably cold smoking them fish at 60-70 degrees...I do believe it is illegal to cold smoke for retail sales in Mass....plus cold smoking does not kill all the bacteria from what I have read....I smoke Alaskan salmon till it reaches 140 degrees depending on thickness

babybacks or ST. louis ribs take me about 4-5 hours at 250 degrees ...pork butt 9 hrs. or longer at higher temperture ....same with brisket....brisket is hard to get tender....rule of thumb with brisket is when U take a butter knife and slide it in easy in middle of brisket it is done....need to inject brisket with juices.

Some have said U have to watch the smoker all the time....once to desired temp I leave for an hour or so and recheck temp....go cut the grass etc:....sometimes my problem is not letting coals get hot enough at beginning ....once ya learn the nack of it it becomes simple.

Just bought a fresh 13 lb. porkbellie from market basket will brine today for 5 days and then smoke it....hope I do not mess it up....

This could be a good read for some.

www.amazingribs.com
Old 09-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #24
Sea Dangles

In the WSM I cook the butts overnight.Check it before sleep and it is done when I wake up. Absolutely killer!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
spence

I'm a bit of a purist but definitely see the practicality of a unit like a bradley. For some things like this I find it better to go natural, make a ton of mistakes and get a good understanding of how things really work. If you stick with it and are going to smoke a lot then upgrade.

That digital unit is nice though and the price looks pretty good for what you're getting.

This will require some more thinking. Thanks for all the input.

-spence
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
basswipe

I'm still using my cheapo Brinkman smoke 'n grill,slightly modified for easier use.I've never gone wrong with it so far,I've had some really good stuff come off of it.You are limited to the size of what you can smoke though.I keep telling myself that I'm going to step up but this one works great for me.

With the new Weber gas grill I recently bought I found a v-shaped smoker box that sits between the "flavorizor" bars just above the burner works much better than the square ones that are off to the side.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
spence

Wow, that Bradley digital is only $360 delivered from Amazon.

-spence
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Saltheart

Great Deal! Go for it!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wow, that Bradley digital is only $360 delivered from Amazon.

-spence
Wish ya hadn't posted that.Damn fine chance I'm about to be $360 lighter in the 'ol wallet!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Wish ya hadn't posted that.Damn fine chance I'm about to be $360 lighter in the 'ol wallet!
Need to check and see if it's really the same one in Sandman's link or perhaps an older model? Still looks nice though.

-spence