Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #151
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Can you find some new material? Please!!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
there’s a ton of economic news reported this week. One third of the companies in the SP500 report earnings, second quarter gdp growth gets announced, the fed meets and will
almost certainly raise rates by at least 75 bps.

this is a huge week for the democrats. If the news paints a better picture, they can maybe get through the midterms with no more than a bloody nose. If the news gets no better,,they’re going to likely get creamed

Every poll shows that economic issues matter the most, every poll shows that nobody cares about january 6th at the moment. even abortion is far below economic concerns, and i thought that was going to really hurt the gop, and it still might, but not if current polls are correct.

The democrats are already saying “even though 2 consecutive quarters of GDP shrinkage has long been the common definition of a recession, we don’t think there’s a recession even if gdp shrinks again.”

the american people don’t care about january 6. They do care about democrats telling them
that the economy isn’t hurting them
as much as they know it’s hurting them.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:14 PM   #152
Pete F.
Canceled

Modern constitutional law as we have known it ended today.

When the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and Casey v. Planned Parenthood, it repudiated the very idea that America’s highest court exists to protect people’s fundamental liberties from legislative majorities that would infringe on them.
What the dissent aptly called a “catastrophic” decision is not only a catastrophe for women, who now can be forced to carry unwanted pregnancies to term. It is a catastrophe for all Americans — and for people all over the world who have built their own modern constitutional courts on the US model. The tyranny of the majority won the day.

The right to an abortion was based on the principle of a living Constitution that evolves to expand liberty and equality. That same master principle of modern constitutional law provided the grounding for Brown v. Board of Education, ending segregation. It was the basis for Obergefell v. Hodges, finding a right to same-sex marriage. It is the same principle that undergirds dozens of other decisions establishing rights we today consider fundamental, from sexual freedom to stop and seizure, that were not considered similarly basic in 1791 when the Bill of Rights was ratified or in 1868 when the 14th Amendment was.

In place of the living Constitution that protects liberty and equality from the tyranny of the majority, the court in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization announced a Constitution that only protects rights that already existed in the distant past. The majority considered it irrelevant that the people who ratified the original constitutional provisions did not include women, whose rights are at issue in Dobbs and whose equality is derogated by the decision. According to the majority, the dead hand of the past rules our constitutional future.
It is no exaggeration to say that the Dobbs decision, written by Justice Samuel Alito and joined by four other conservatives, is an act of institutional suicide for the Supreme Court. The legitimacy of the modern court depends on its capacity to protect the vulnerable by limiting how the majority can infringe on basic rights to liberty and equality.

The Dobbs majority not only takes the court out of that business. It holds that the court should never have expanded the protection of liberty and equality in the first place.

The most basic argument of the Dobbs decision is that, in 1868, states did not consider abortion a fundamental right. That is accurate, as the magisterial dissent, co-authored by Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, acknowledges.
But in 1868, there was also no clearly established right to contraception. There were no Miranda rights to protect arrestees. There was no right to choose your own sexual partner, let alone to marry the person you love. And there is no definitive historical evidence that the people who ratified the 14th Amendment thought that doing so prohibited segregation. If you take Dobbs’s logic seriously, all the landmark decisions establishing these rights are wrong.

Will the court now undertake a major effort to revisit these core rights?

Alito’s majority opinion, which is not significantly different from his leaked draft, tries to suggest the court will not do that. Its only basis for that suggestion is to say that abortion is “unique” because it involves life. Justice Clarence Thomas, in a separate concurrence, called openly for revisiting rights to sexual freedom and gay marriage. The dissenters argued cogently that it is now open season on those and similar basic rights.

It is hard for me to imagine that the rest of the conservative justices actually plan to roll back many of our most fundamental rights. Unfortunately, that hardly matters. State legislatures can and will now pass laws that violate or eliminate those rights. The lower courts will have to adjudicate them. Ultimately the Supreme Court will have to weigh in again.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #153
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Modern constitutional law as we have known it ended today.

When the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade and Casey v. Planned Parenthood, it repudiated the very idea that America’s highest court exists to protect people’s fundamental liberties from legislative majorities that would infringe on them.
What the dissent aptly called a “catastrophic” decision is not only a catastrophe for women, who now can be forced to carry unwanted pregnancies to term. It is a catastrophe for all Americans — and for people all over the world who have built their own modern constitutional courts on the US model. The tyranny of the majority won the day.

The right to an abortion was based on the principle of a living Constitution that evolves to expand liberty and equality. That same master principle of modern constitutional law provided the grounding for Brown v. Board of Education, ending segregation. It was the basis for Obergefell v. Hodges, finding a right to same-sex marriage. It is the same principle that undergirds dozens of other decisions establishing rights we today consider fundamental, from sexual freedom to stop and seizure, that were not considered similarly basic in 1791 when the Bill of Rights was ratified or in 1868 when the 14th Amendment was.

In place of the living Constitution that protects liberty and equality from the tyranny of the majority, the court in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization announced a Constitution that only protects rights that already existed in the distant past. The majority considered it irrelevant that the people who ratified the original constitutional provisions did not include women, whose rights are at issue in Dobbs and whose equality is derogated by the decision. According to the majority, the dead hand of the past rules our constitutional future.
It is no exaggeration to say that the Dobbs decision, written by Justice Samuel Alito and joined by four other conservatives, is an act of institutional suicide for the Supreme Court. The legitimacy of the modern court depends on its capacity to protect the vulnerable by limiting how the majority can infringe on basic rights to liberty and equality.

The Dobbs majority not only takes the court out of that business. It holds that the court should never have expanded the protection of liberty and equality in the first place.

The most basic argument of the Dobbs decision is that, in 1868, states did not consider abortion a fundamental right. That is accurate, as the magisterial dissent, co-authored by Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, acknowledges.
But in 1868, there was also no clearly established right to contraception. There were no Miranda rights to protect arrestees. There was no right to choose your own sexual partner, let alone to marry the person you love. And there is no definitive historical evidence that the people who ratified the 14th Amendment thought that doing so prohibited segregation. If you take Dobbs’s logic seriously, all the landmark decisions establishing these rights are wrong.

Will the court now undertake a major effort to revisit these core rights?

Alito’s majority opinion, which is not significantly different from his leaked draft, tries to suggest the court will not do that. Its only basis for that suggestion is to say that abortion is “unique” because it involves life. Justice Clarence Thomas, in a separate concurrence, called openly for revisiting rights to sexual freedom and gay marriage. The dissenters argued cogently that it is now open season on those and similar basic rights.

It is hard for me to imagine that the rest of the conservative justices actually plan to roll back many of our most fundamental rights. Unfortunately, that hardly matters. State legislatures can and will now pass laws that violate or eliminate those rights. The lower courts will have to adjudicate them. Ultimately the Supreme Court will have to weigh in again.
the “living constitution” theory doesn’t safeguard against tyranny, because obviously it allows whoever is in charge, to decide what the constitution means. you can’t be bound by the constitution and be a tyrant.

all of a sudden you’re worried about “the tyranny of the majority”, yet you hate the electoral college, which was specifically designed to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority. As was the filibuster. which your side also currently hates.

do you have ANY principles?

do you think scotus should
decide cases based on avoiding catastrophes for women? i keep forgetting about the famous “women shall endure no catastrophes” clause in the constitution. do you have ANY idea why the statue of Lady Justice on every courthouse is wearing a blindfold?

any judge that ruled to uphold Roe because they want to help
women, those are the tyrants. SCOTUS isn’t the national organization for women. The constitution is what matters, not sympathy for women.

has abortion been a catastrophe for the 50 million babies killed?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-25-2022 at 08:40 PM..
Old 07-25-2022, 08:45 PM   #154
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
the “living constitution” theory doesn’t safeguard against tyranny, because obviously it slows whoever is in charge, to decide what the constitution means.

all of a sudden you’re worried about “the tyranny of the majority”, yet you hate the electoral
college, which was specifically designed to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority. As was the fillibuster.

do you have ANY principles?
Once again you demonstrate your lack of knowledge of American history.
The electoral college was a compromise instituted to bring the slave holding states into the Union.

The popu#^&la#^&tions in the North and South were approx#^&im#^&ately equal, but roughly one-third of those living in the South were held in bond#^&age. Because of its consid#^&er#^&able, nonvot#^&ing slave popu#^&la#^&tion, that region would have less clout under a popu#^&lar-vote system. The ulti#^&mate solu#^&tion was an indir#^&ect method of choos#^&ing the pres#^&id#^&ent, one that could lever#^&age the three-fifths comprom#^&ise, the Faus#^&tian bargain they’d already made to determ#^&ine how congres#^&sional seats would be appor#^&tioned. With about 93 percent of the coun#^&try’s slaves toil#^&ing in just five south#^&ern states, that region was the undoubted bene#^&fi#^&ciary of the comprom#^&ise, increas#^&ing the size of the South’s congres#^&sional deleg#^&a#^&tion by 42 percent. When the time came to agree on a system for choos#^&ing the pres#^&id#^&ent, it was all too easy for the deleg#^&ates to resort to the three-fifths comprom#^&ise as the found#^&a#^&tion. The pecu#^&liar system that emerged was the Elect#^&oral College.

Should blacks votes only count as 3/5?
Just what principles do you choose from the ones that were held in the late 1700s or even the 1950s, should Alabama still be able to say: No niggers, no Jews, no dogs?
Your aggrieved white manhood is the same as every right wing cult in American history.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 06:31 AM   #155
Jim in CT

GM follows walmart with another earnings miss, though they didn’t adjust future earnings which is good. Not much good news so far this week, and it’s a huge week for financial news. Like the super tuesday of financial news.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:30 AM   #156
Pete F.
Canceled

From now on, I expect everyone who sees Rafael Cruz to address him as “Kiss My Ass Cruz”

On the street? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”
At the airport? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”
At a restaurant? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”
In Cancun? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”

Because it is important to respect people’s chosen pronouns.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:39 AM   #157
Jim in CT

Quote:
From now on, I expect everyone who sees Rafael Cruz to address him as “Kiss My Ass Cruz”

On the street? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”
At the airport? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”
At a restaurant? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”
In Cancun? “Hey, Kiss My Ass Cruz!”

Because it is important to respect people’s chosen pronouns.
that’s what americans care about, pete. pronouns. all the polls show that pronouns are a higher priority than cost of food.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:42 AM   #158
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
that’s what americans care about, pete. pronouns. all the polls show that pronouns are a higher priority than cost of food.
Well, it's English, but since it's not your first language -- or if it is you suffer from such an indifferent education that you can hardly be expected to understand it -- so you grunt out whatever buzzword flotsam sluiced into your wet brain from the Fox effluvium pipe.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 07:45 AM   #159
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well, it's English, but since it's not your first language -- or if it is you suffer from such an indifferent education that you can hardly be expected to understand it -- so you grunt out whatever buzzword flotsam sluiced into your wet brain from the Fox effluvium pipe.
you said democrats are poised to win the midterms. I’m sure pronouns will lift them across the finish line. Nothing matters more to americans right now.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #160
Pete F.
Canceled

The GOP openly wants to consolidate the power of the presidency, turn America into a Christian nationalist state, purge Jews from their ranks, silence dissenters, take away the right to marry, ban books & control women.

It's a fascist movement and must be treated as such.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #161
Jim in CT

Quote:
The GOP openly wants to consolidate the power of the presidency, turn America into a Christian nationalist state, purge Jews from their ranks, silence dissenters, take away the right to marry, ban books & control women.

oh, the republicans are the anti-semites! not the party of Ihan Omar. Please tell us more.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:05 AM   #162
Pete F.
Canceled

Projection, lie, false equivalence.
Projection, lie. false equivalence.
And repeat....
Old 07-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #163
Jim in CT

Quote:
Projection, lie. false equivalence.
And repeat....
you’re the Jack Nicholson character from The Shining, Pete.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:27 AM   #164
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Jim, your problem is that Republicans have publicly stated all the above and then:
And repeat....

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 09:32 AM   #165
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, your problem is that Republicans have publicly stated all the above and then:
And repeat....
can you point me to where any influential republican publicly said he wants to purge the jews.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:55 AM   #166
Pete F.
Canceled

Google is available to use and it’s even free, or ask George Soros
You obviously have no contest with the others
Sad
Old 07-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #167
wdmso

Quote:
GM follows walmart with another earnings miss, though they didn’t adjust future earnings which is good. Not much good news so far this week, and it’s a huge week for financial news. Like the super tuesday of financial news.
Jim People haven't stopped shopping at walmart. just that the inflation affecting the world is impacting their profit margins they are still earning money .. but their poor stockholders .. are taking a hit .. LOL

CEOs Earn 345 Times What The Average Worker Takes Home

yep keep feeling bad for corporate america like a good Conservative
Old 07-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #168
wdmso

Jim Do you support Trump and his faithful plan if he's re elected in 2024

According to a report Trump plans to purge the government of career employees with actual expertise, and replace them with only the most hard-core loyalists.
Trump’s 2025 plan includes a nightmare list of Cabinet picks — and purge of career officials: report

Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows' group, the Conservative Partnership Institute, is expected to play a key role. The group has already raised nearly $20 million, including $1 million from Trump's PAC, and has a team working on a database of "vetted staff that could be fed immediately" to Trump's team,

Trumpworld feverishly building a database of thousands of MAGA diehards who could replace longtime civil servants
Sounds like a fascist coup or an Authoritarian coup or a communist coup Not American democracy

If you read any of the above . and see an America 1st agenda . you're a cult member and a threat to the American way of life and governing
Old 07-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #169
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

According to a report Trump plans to purge the government of career employees with actual expertise, and replace them with only the most hard-core loyalists.
Trump’s 2025 plan includes a nightmare list of Cabinet picks — and purge of career officials: report

Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows' group, the Conservative Partnership Institute, is expected to play a key role. The group has already raised nearly $20 million, including $1 million from Trump's PAC, and has a team working on a database of "vetted staff that could be fed immediately" to Trump's team,

Trumpworld feverishly building a database of thousands of MAGA diehards who could replace longtime civil servants
Sounds like a fascist coup or an Authoritarian coup or a communist coup Not American democracy

If you read any of the above . and see an America 1st agenda . you're a cult member and a threat to the American way of life and governing
Jim, Scott, Dad and others keep complaining anyone left of center just can’t let Trump go, that we are obsessed with him and yet it’s been exposed that Trumps plans are really a group effort. Democratic government under Trumps rule goes the way of the dodo bird and your votes won’t mean sh*t down the road.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #170
Pete F.
Canceled

For the Republican establishment, there are no real limits or red lines. Bigotry, conspiracy, anti-democracy--all are to be overlooked in the service of victory for the Party.

First overlooked. Then rationalized. Then justified. Ultimately...embraced.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #171
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Jim, Scott, Dad and others keep complaining anyone left of center just can’t let Trump go,
Pretty sure I've never stated that, not saying that's not what you "heard", but I never said it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #172
Jim in CT

Quote:

i would never, ever vote for trump in a republican primary. if he were to be the gop nominee, i’d absolutely vote for him.

“according to a report…”. wow it must be true, then.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #173
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Jim, Scott, Dad and others keep complaining anyone left of center just can’t let Trump go, that we are obsessed with him and yet it’s been exposed that Trumps plans are really a group effort. Democratic government under Trumps rule goes the way of the dodo bird and your votes won’t mean sh*t down the road.
i’m not complaining, just noting it. because it’s true.

look up the word obsessed in the dictionary. tell
me that’s not where al are.

i’m not saying do t discuss him. but none of you are able to talk about anything else.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #174
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i would never, ever vote for trump in a republican primary. if he were to be the gop nominee, i’d absolutely vote for him.

As I posted

For the Republican establishment, there are no real limits or red lines. Bigotry, conspiracy, anti-democracy--all are to be overlooked in the service of victory for the Party.

First overlooked. Then rationalized. Then justified. Ultimately...embraced

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #175
Jim in CT

Quote:
As I posted

First overlooked. Then rationalized. Then justified. Ultimately...embraced
as I posted, you’re psychotic.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #176
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

i’m not saying do t discuss him. but none of you are able to talk about anything else.
Oh I know, we never discuss climate change, gun legislation, police profiling, abortion, term limits, voting restrictions, Supreme Court appointments, just Trump, Trump and more Trump. Do you really believe the stuff you post, your sort of a Trump mini-me, believing stuff proven so wrong by numerous examples. Carry on with your own obsession with the liberals and of course whataboutism, on that later point you rule.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 07-26-2022 at 06:12 PM..
Old 07-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #177
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
as I posted, you’re psychotic.
You’re easily led

The nominee you said you would vote for spoke today in DC

The former president delivered a straight up fascist and authoritarian speech, complete with executions, military takeovers and forcible relocations of citizens.

Feel free to watch it yourself

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #178
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
You’re easily led

The nominee you said you would vote for spoke today in DC

The former president delivered a straight up fascist and authoritarian speech, complete with executions, military takeovers and forcible relocations of citizens.

Feel free to watch it yourself
I think Graham is the most pathetic politician of the bunch. In 2016 he blasted Trump for who he really is. Trump gets elected and now he loves Trump. Trump maintains the big lie leading to the 6th and now he is out and done with Trump. Then he softened his stance feeling the committee is just out to get his buddy Trump. Now he says Trump is good for America and should run, OMG is this guy going thru menopause?
Old 07-27-2022, 05:20 AM   #179
wdmso

A member of Viktor Orban's inner circle has resigned after the Hungarian prime minister spoke out against becoming "peoples of mixed race".
Zsuzsa Hegedus, who has known the nationalist Mr Orban for 20 years, described the speech as a "pure Nazi text",

Isn’t Victor speaking at CPAC soon
Old 07-27-2022, 05:27 AM   #180
wdmso

Quote:

Of course you will vote for him why put the country before Trump..

It’s like saying I’d never fish with a known pedophile , until he owns a nice boat. Then I’ll forgot his history

Because I might get something out of it