Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

2021 Sunday plug talk

Lets get the ball rolling...
I've got a bunch of maple blanks cut and turned the first 1/2 dozen into some needles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6233.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	67704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6253.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	67705  
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
pbadad

I'm toying with a fat needle. Those look great. Bigger profile. How is the sink rate?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
Linesider82

Starting to mess with some ideas. I plan to do a long thin needle in the 10-12" range and going to try a hand carved jointed swim bait.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
pbadad

Has a request for a jointed pike I make from my current 1 pc version. Started making these a couple years back. Diving and surface. Some wood composition differences form the 2 versions. The proto caught relatively quick but unfortunately a bigger fish had its way in the rocks. My tester was quick to point out he needed another. Nonetheless I documented the specs and built a hand full . The divers are built with different woods ( ayc & birch/maple. This allows the tail action to lessen than the surface model. I'm not a fish but I think bottom dwellers move lazily through structure especially during slack tides. Which we know us a prime tone for large to hunt.
I incorporate the Creek Chub style loop in front half and recess the front loop in tail section to tighten joint for casting and believe it or not it also has a developed knock especially on the surface model.
Ill elaborate more on the front section wiring in another post if anyone is interested.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
Diggin Jiggin

I didnt make too much progress this week. I got the rest of that batch of needles turned but then I took a timeout to clean the basement to reduce the amount of sawdust that was getting tracked upstairs...
Old 02-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
pbadad

Since its snowing and was doing some plug weighting, I decided to turn min pencil poppers. 4" long. 4gr tail wt. The went well last year.
Make a nice little surface needle too. I would post pictures but they're on phone. It would be great to have that option on the site.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post
I've got a bunch of maple blanks cut and turned the first 1/2 dozen into some needles.
Those look exactly like the ballerinas I make, patterned after one by Capesams. It is very similar to a spook, which I have called them before. It is really the only plug I can create repeatedly well. Interesting you call it a needle

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
Higgie

Made a small batch of some Nike’s this week that are ready for a test swim and started work on figuring out the steps in a few bottle plugs.
Higgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
pbadad

Today looks like a paint day. My mini pencil poppers are ready for color. Ill base color some pearl white and yellow then accent them with hot pink , red &chartreuse. These little buggers are 4" and weigh in <1oz. They're made from clear pine. With one or 2-#4 hooks sit in water tail down. Works like a regular pencil. Fresh or salt. Slow retrieve on top. Mini needle. Largemouth smash em.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #10
Higgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Today looks like a paint day. My mini pencil poppers are ready for color. Ill base color some pearl white and yellow then accent them with hot pink , red &chartreuse. These little buggers are 4" and weigh in <1oz. They're made from clear pine. With one or 2-#4 hooks sit in water tail down. Works like a regular pencil. Fresh or salt. Slow retrieve on top. Mini needle. Largemouth smash em.
Sounds like they’d work on albies as well. Hope to wrap up some odds and ends today but starting a big house project tomorrow so gonna have to change gears

It would be raining soup, and id be be standing outside with a fork
Old 02-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
pbadad

Oh yeh Albie snacks for sure!
Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
Diggin Jiggin

I feel like I'm in slow motion and very rusty. Just out of practice I guess. I did get my drilling and sanding done last week and hopefully I can steal a few hours to get them sealed this afternoon.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
Higgie

Finally got out to do some testing in the salt water today. It was much colder than I expected but worth it regardless. Tested four new plugs Im working on. A 2oz Danny flat glide needle that’s a level moderate sink a bottle darter and a Nike clone. Supringsly the Nike swam the best. I miss read the original Floyd roman plans from the professor on the first one but wanted to test it anyways and it swims amazing!! I have the weight more forward than the plans and a smaller lesser slope on the face but the action was impressive. Which to me was great becasue I’m ok to make some plugs similar to other builders but always have to have your own stuff. Only way to learn is to keep testing and keep tweeking. I’ll take some videos next time but hands were frozen. Enjoy the week
Old 02-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I have some 6" needles in the works which I am weighting a bit differently than I use to. I'm waiting till it get to 40 to test.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
pbadad

Painted plugs this afternoon. Have a couple new designs to test and a new rod build. Warming up this week.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
Higgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I have some 6" needles in the works which I am weighting a bit differently than I use to. I'm waiting till it get to 40 to test.
Once it hits 40 you’ll be out on the new fairway mowers over the club hahaha 😝

It would be raining soup, and id be be standing outside with a fork
Old 02-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #17
Diggin Jiggin

I got my needles primed this morning. Ive got some nice pine leftover from last year so was thinking I might try and turn a few fat swimmer prototypes, something along the lines of a nike.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #18
pbadad

Weighted my pine slim version of BM jrs. Come in at 1.2 oz. Dive a couple feet. 4 gr tailweight. Mid lip.slot cut. lefty 1 hi slot. 5 gr belly wt.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #19
pbadad

Before changing duplicator for baseball turnings I spun some 11.5" needle bodies for next year.
A few more weeks of paint and epoxy then its off till next season.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #20
Higgie

Just finished up some curly maple bottles and needles for an auctio have to transfer some pics to my laptop to get them up on here. Happy daylight savings spring is right around the corner
Old 03-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #21
pbadad

Higgie how r u sealing the maple?
Old 03-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #22
Higgie

Trying two separate methods. Etex with denatured alcohol and heated and dipped in helmsmans cut with min spirits. Dried then done a second time few days later.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #23
pbadad

I used both methods. Epoxy is time consuming when doing big numbers but i do it on occassions . Like hardening soft wood swimmers or small maple runs.
Helmsman 60/40 is my go.to. i did heat them plugs but stopped since i had issues drawing too much sealer into wood. I thought they were dry but as the finished plugs sat , the sealer leached thru the finish and popped it off the wood. It did a good penetration but I left it in too long(45min). I do 45 min to 90 min , no heat. With heat I was increasing weight over 7 grams. I did do 5 minute soak after heating which increased 1 or 2 gr. The plugs that leached I stripped and left for a month to dry out internally. After that the weight dropped some and paint held up. Sealer nightmares. Never had them until I tried something different . Thats how we learn. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #24
Higgie

In the past for maple and birch needles and darters I’ve had decent luck but never hurts to try something new
Old 03-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #25
pbadad

I hear you. I did 9 thin body swimmers. It took me 24 cc of thinned e tex to seal. I dump into small pie plate with plug head in mixing cup . Once it goes thru wirr hole i pour into hook hole drain again. Then with gloved finger spread lightly the epoxy on entire body. Hang to dry. Whats nice is 24 hrs later u sand and paint if u choose.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #26
pbadad

Wow its been a month since i posted on building. I kept busy readying bodies for next winter. Decided to turn bodies, drill , fill & seal.
Just recently I found some pine and cedar so I figure to make a few diving jrs, slim jrs .and easy to use 2 oz pencil poppers. Once i test these new builds ill finish them for use this season.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #27
Gobi

Hi Gents - I have a few plugs that need to be resealed, and one, a old G2, that I really want to fish this year. What would you suggest? The paint is compromised to the base material. thanks - Kieran
Gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:56 AM   #28
pbadad

Spar varnish thinned 60/40 mineral spirits.
That plug usually is pine. Are u stripping plug down to bare wood and removing hardware?
If ur doing 1 plug u could epoxy seal it. Basically u need to seal the thru wire hole, hook hole, lip slot and nose and tail end grain. Once stripped heat then pour in thinned 2 part epoxy. Thin with denatured alcohol 25%. Messy process. Use a catch pan , wear gloves. Not necessary to do outside body but u can once u have the inners coated. I rub the remaining epoxy with my hand on body. Hang to dry. Sand in a day or so. Prefer 24 hr cure epoxy or e tex.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #29
Jimmy Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post
Those needles don't work.
Jimmy Fee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:25 AM   #30
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
I hear you. I did 9 thin body swimmers. It took me 24 cc of thinned e tex to seal. I dump into small pie plate with plug head in mixing cup . Once it goes thru wirr hole i pour into hook hole drain again. Then with gloved finger spread lightly the epoxy on entire body. Hang to dry. Whats nice is 24 hrs later u sand and paint if u choose.
See, this is why I only build out of AYC. i don't need to go thru all this sealing rigmarole. I did get a ton of mahogany from Ross that I will work with this winter.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote