Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I think Jim is confusing the word constant with continuous.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
And once again, you know zip,

From Websters. continuous - WITHOUT INTERRUPTION.

We go years at a time (thankfully) without violence against abortion providers. How is that "without interruption"?

Threats that need to be taken seriously? Sure (and that's a tragedy). Actual acts of violence? Extremely rare. Hardly continuous.

I await your explanation of how I am wrong.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
Nebe

I heard the largest hate group in the US is.........

Wait for it.....

The Republican Party !
Old 11-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

I won't say you are wrong because I think this is a matter of perspective. Curious to know how you would describe the Palestinian/Israeli conflict as they sometimes go months or years without violence yet it seems continuous to me as it never really goes away. So I will say you are right because I know how much it means to you with your little boy mentality.

Last edited by Sea Dangles; 11-29-2015 at 09:36 AM..
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
buckman

Quote:
I won't say you are wrong because I think this is a matter of perspective. Curious to know how you would describe the Palestinian/Israeli conflict as they sometimes go months or years without violence yet it seems continuous to me as it never really goes away. So I will say you are right because I know how much it means to you with your little boy mentality.
I'll say one thing for Jim, I have never seen somebody ask to be proven wrong so many times in his posts and never get a clearly written rebuttal in return .
Old 11-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'll say one thing for Jim, I have never seen somebody ask to be proven wrong so many times in his posts and never get a clearly written rebuttal in return .
The reason Jim has to ask so many times is because he's intolerant to facts and just keeps repeating the same discredited lines.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The reason Jim has to ask so many times is because he's intolerant to facts .
Said the guy who, on this thread, claimed that dishonest videos are leading to murder. Is that based on facts? Which facts support that claim?

Also from the guy whose candidate (1) claimed that Bill didn't cheat on her, but was rather that victim of a vast right wing conspiracy, and (2) lied through her teeth about coming under sniper fire in Bosnia. Yet you won't call her a liar. It would therefore seem that your concern over the facts is, how shall we say, quite selective.

Again, don't respond to what I'm saying, but rather, lob insults.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-29-2015 at 01:06 PM..
Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
"I think this is a matter of perspective."

Well, that's not what you said, you said I was confusing oh the hell with it.

"how you would describe the Palestinian/Israeli conflict as they sometimes go months or years without violence"

I would describe it as not remotely comparable to the Christian/Planned Parenthood conflict, which only becomes a "conflict" every few years when a kook snaps. There are organized, large groups in Palestine that want to annihilate Israel. Apples and oranges.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"I think this is a matter of perspective."

Well, that's not what you said, you said I was confusing oh the hell with it.

"how you would describe the Palestinian/Israeli conflict as they sometimes go months or years without violence"

I would describe it as not remotely comparable to the Christian/Planned Parenthood conflict, which only becomes a "conflict" every few years when a kook snaps. There are organized, large groups in Palestine that want to annihilate Israel. Apples and oranges.
So now you have made my point for me in a format that fits your narrative. Semantics aside,you still seem confused despite conceding they are both befitting your definition.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
So now you have made my point for me in a format that fits your narrative. Semantics aside,you still seem confused despite conceding they are both befitting your definition.
I wasn't framing around any narrative. You said I was confused about the definition of continuous. Not remotely true. Then you, I think, compared anti-abortion violence (once every few years, a total of what, 20 deaths?) to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. That's a ridiculous comparison.

Violence at abortion clinics isn't "continuous". It happens once every few years. One of us is very confused about the meaning of the word "continuous", but it's not me. When have the Palestinians gone "years" without inflicting violence on their Jewish neighbors? Enlighten me, please.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

Please tell me what part was not clearly written and I will attempt to make it easier for you to understand.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Please tell me what part was not clearly written and I will attempt to make it easier for you to understand.
It's not necessary . I'm really not interested . It was a generalization .
Old 11-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
Sea Dangles

Didn't think so
You just got smarter, yay
Old 11-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Sea Dangles

You are having trouble with the context of the discussion and once again your hubris won't allow you to see beyond your agenda. Your insecurity is what is most endearing as usual.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
You are having trouble with the context of the discussion and once again your hubris won't allow you to see beyond your agenda. Your insecurity is what is most endearing as usual.
I'm surprised he hasn't started cackling about this act of terrorism happening on Obama's watch.

Here's an incomplete list…I'd note that death threats, bombings, break-ins, shootings, bio-terror etc… are all violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

It must be nice volunteering your time to help a poor woman get a cancer screening and not knowing if there's a bomb waiting for you, or perhaps a little anthrax in the mail.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
buckman

Quote:
I'm surprised he hasn't started cackling about this act of terrorism happening on Obama's watch.

Here's an incomplete list…I'd note that death threats, bombings, break-ins, shootings, bio-terror etc… are all violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

It must be nice volunteering your time to help a poor woman get a cancer screening and not knowing if there's a bomb waiting for you, or perhaps a little anthrax in the mail.
I believe Jim has stated over and over how horrible it was. What's your point Spence? How often? I would say not often even though even once is too much . The man involved in this incident clearly has a mental health issue . That little detail will be left out of your
narrative
Old 11-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
I believe Jim has stated over and over how horrible it was. What's your point Spence? How often? I would say not often even though even once is too much . The man involved in this incident clearly has a mental health issue . That little detail will be left out of your
narrative
I already said he may be crazy, that actually makes the disingenuous videos even worse. Jim is discounting the violence targeted at PP clinics. My point is spot on.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
I already said he may be crazy, that actually makes the disingenuous videos even worse. Jim is discounting the violence targeted at PP clinics. My point is spot on.
Spence did say the guy was likely a nut.

I'm not discounting anything. I said, correctly, that a couple of dozen people have been murdered by pro-life terrorists in the last 45 years. You called the violence "continuous". I said that the facts don't seem to back that up.

Dangles said that the violence against Jews has taken a break, at times, for "years" at a time.I asked him to tell us when, exactly, the Palestinians went "years" without inflicting violence. He didn't respond,

You said the video inspired murders. Dangles said violence in Israel sometime goes quiet for "years". I asked each of you to support those clams, and instead of responding, you hurl insults.

Truth hurts, eh?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
buckman

[QUOTE=spence;1087427]I already said he may be crazy, that actually makes the disingenuous videos even worse. Jim is discounting the violence targeted at PP clinics. My point is spot on.[/QUOTE

Jim never discounted the violence targeted a PP clinics . I haven't read that anywhere here although my comprehension level probably isn't up to some of those here that are very impressed with them selves .
Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
Sea Dangles

Exaggeration to emphasize a point has a name,hyperbole.

The point was lost on some folks who have trouble following a bouncing ball.
Try making that wrong is what I say here. Stop getting lost in the numbers and understand the comparison is only to inspire you to think with an open mind. I should have known better.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #20
buckman

From 1973-2010, 421 women have died as a result of legal abortion (CDC).
I guess we can say women consistently die from abortion .
Old 11-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Before Roe v Wade how many women died each year from illegal abortions?
Old 11-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
The pro-life crowd is hardly responsible for what those idiots did to themselves. People get killed robbing banks, right? Are you implying that lawmakers who write the laws making bank robbery illegal, are to blame for the deaths of people who die while robbing banks?

Jeesh.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #23
detbuch

Quote:
If PaulS's number of 5000 is correct, it even more so fit Buckman's "I guess we can say women consistently die from abortion."

His point wasn't the actual number so much as pointing out the loose way the word "continuous" is used. I think, perhaps I've misread again, I think he meant continuously rather than consistently, although either would make his point.

And, as you induced Paul to give us a vastly higher number of deaths from illegal abortions, then women even more continuously or consistently died from abortion pre-Roe v. Wade.

Which more than validated Buckman's statement.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
Where did you get the 421 number? The total between 1973 -2011 was 50 MILLION. Currently we're pushing 58 Mil. Makes PaulS's number of 5000 per year before 1973 equal to about a week's worth currently.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Where did you get the 421 number? The total between 1973 -2011 was 50 MILLION. Currently we're pushing 58 Mil. Makes PaulS's number of 5000 per year before 1973 equal to about a week's worth currently.
Huh?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Huh?
Ooops. Misread women for aborted babies. My numbers are for numbers of abortions.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
PaulS

Old 11-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #28
Sea Dangles

Spoken like a true catholic
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Spoken like a true catholic
True, I am a deeply flawed Catholic. We can't all be as purely Catholic as one who advertises in his on-line signature that he supports the slaughter of millions of innocent unborn.

I have some sympathy for these women, not a ton. It's my understanding that before Roe V Wade, abortoin was legal in the cases of rape, or when the life of the Mom was in danger. In other words, all these women pursuing black market abortions, had (1) engaged in consensual sex, and (2) were healthy enough to give birth. In other words, every single one of them wanted an abortion for nothing more than personal convenience. So while I sympathize with anyone who feels any kind of despair, I save most of my sympathy for the innocent, defenseles baby. That's the victim. But spin that as "hating women" if it makes you feel less ghoulish about your position.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #30
Sea Dangles

OK Taliban Jim
If that was meant to educate,intimidate, or shame me then consider it a waste of time. I have no problem stating my position on this issue as you know. Next time I spill some jizz I will be thinking of you.