Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
mosholu
Mosholu

Baseball Question

The heavy necklaces you see on many players, are they just for looks or do they have some other purpose? Thx.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Backbeach Jake

It makes them feel cool and good about themselves. I've never grasped the concept of jewelry myself, especially during work and sports.
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
It is to remind all the fans that it is your money than I'm able to flaunt with expensive toys.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
spence

It's to balance the tin of chew in their back pocket. Without, they'd tip right over.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If you are talking about the ones like you see Okajima wearing...those are Phiten necklaces. supposed to help w/ blood circulation and well being (not that I buy it).....they're made of titanium

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's to balance the tin of chew in their back pocket. Without, they'd tip right over.

-spence
Chew comes in bags. Dip or snuff comes in tins. Most players don't keep tins in their pockets because it would either hurt or they'd crush it when they slide. They keep all that stuff in the dugout.

As a side note, Tim Raines only slid head first because he kept small vials of coke in his back pocket back when he was with the Expos.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
If you are talking about the ones like you see Okajima wearing...those are Phiten necklaces. supposed to help w/ blood circulation and well being (not that I buy it).....they're made of titanium
Thx for the explanation that is exactly what I was wondering. I guess if you think it is doing something for you it might help.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
stcroixman

just another baseball player fad. When I was a kid every payer kept his index finger outside of the finger area. Then they started making gloves with the finger hole.

only in baseball, although I like to see high socks and hate the low cut pants in style now.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcroixman View Post
just another baseball player fad. When I was a kid every payer kept his index finger outside of the finger area. Then they started making gloves with the finger hole.

only in baseball, although I like to see high socks and hate the low cut pants in style now.
I agree. I always thought it was inconsistent that the Yankees had such tight rules regarding facial hair and hair length but yet everyone was free to wear their trousers pants the length they want.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Here's a yahoo write up about them in the news today...

What's with the thicker necklaces being worn this postseason? - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Thanks for that. I guess for 50 dollars I would try it out.