Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

CHANGE

Food stamp use jumps 85 percent in four years - Milford, MA - The Milford Daily News
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Raven

recession Number two is around the corner
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

I need to get my SNAP credit card.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

here's some more change.

Geithner: Taxes on ?Small Business? Must Rise So Government Doesn?t ?Shrink? | CNSnews.com

I gotta sneeze....a...aaa......aaaaaaaa.....aaaaaaaa..... EFFU

much better

Where do they get these ideas out of a cracker jack box? What makes them think that small business can support this. UGH

"Ellmers then said: “Sixty-four percent of jobs that are created in this country are for small business.”

Geithner conceded the point, but then suggested the administration’s planned tax increase on small businesses would be “good for growth.”"

CLASSIC. What a jackass.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Chesapeake Bill

Makes sense...small businesses are typically owned by middle class...middle class can now get the health care that lower class can because of a glitch in the health care reform act...thus they have more money to turn over to the government...

...at least that is the government logic model in play...

You fail if you expect logic from the vortex that is DC...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
albin35
Pembroke MA

May be a repeat but it's still good.

A Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.

A Depression is when you lose yours.

A Recovery is when Obama loses his!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by albin35 View Post
A Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.

A Depression is when you lose yours.

A Recovery is when Obama loses his!
And which candidate has a plan that will turn this around and bring unemployment back to 5%?

I'm talking plan, not Rick Perry style rhetoric....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
And which candidate has a plan that will turn this around and bring unemployment back to 5%?

I'm talking plan, not Rick Perry style rhetoric....
So are you now admitting that Obama was all rhetoric when he ran? Why don't you come up with a defense of O, rather than try to smear someone from the other party who hasn't even had a chance to improve things? It's a little tiresome to see O's supporters still trying to bash the other side to deflect blame instead of admitting that maybe he isn't quite living up to expectations.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

FB:
I'm disappointed in many things Obama has done. Lybia, for instance. Extending the Bush Tax cuts for another example. Would the economy be any better under McCain Palin? I don't think so.

I was responding to a generic joke that the US economy will magically turn around when Obama doesn't get re-elected and wanted to know who from the other side (since it was clearly not a joke coming from a leftist position) has presented. If I had left Rick perry out (Who, as Scarborough said, is just running around doing a bad 1999 era GWB impersonation anyways) would the context have been less of a smear?

As an independent, someone like Huntsman has some appeal to me, but I want to hear what any of them, will do to improve the economy.

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
fishbones

Fair enough, Bryan. I just get annoyed when people blindly defend Obama when he clearly isn't doing a good job (albeit he started in a tough spot). It's almost like they're afraid to admit that maybe they made a mistake. I'm not sure what any of the other candidates are planning in terms of fixing the budget, but I know that spending like a drunken sailor on leave isn't working.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
FI'm not sure what any of the other candidates are planning in terms of fixing the budget, but I know that spending like a drunken sailor on leave isn't working.
Very true.
Walking out of meetings doesn't help either.

The bi-partisian Simpson Bowles report came out with recommendations of cuts and taxes, both loopholes closing and raising some rates. The discussion here was that b/c both sides didn't love it, it was probably a good proposal.

when the rubber hits the road, will both sides be able to compromise?

Bryan

Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
albin35
Pembroke MA

I'm looking for a candidate who recognizes they work for us. Government has an insatialble appetite they need to be controlled. There is a lot that can be gained from fasting and prayer. Washington has outlawed God and gourges itself on our taxes.

Michael
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by albin35 View Post
There is a lot that can be gained from fasting and prayer. Washington has outlawed God and gourges itself on our taxes.
Michael
\

Well, thats where we start to disagree at a really intrinsic level. I 100% support your ability to believe what you want and worship what you want, but keep it out of government!

Bryan

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
\

Well, thats where we start to disagree at a really intrinsic level. I 100% support your ability to believe what you want and worship what you want, but keep it out of government!
You disagree with yourself at a really intrinsic level if you 100% support albin's ability to believe what he wants and worship what he wants if he chooses to believe in God, and that God is who created us with the inalienable rights that inspired the creation of this country to secure those rights for its citizens, but, on the other hand, insist that he keep that God out of government.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
Raven

to quote Obama:
Some days one term seems enough.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
Quote:
Nearly twice as many Massachusetts residents rely on food stamps today as did just four years ago, but state figures suggest the rapid rise of people seeking help to buy groceries may finally be slowing.
Sounds like the food stamp trend is simply following the recession and slow recovery.

We should cut taxes to ensure these free loaders can't buy food for their kids

-spence
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
zimmy

The unemployment rate is more than 100% higher than 4 years ago, so relatively 85% not so bad, is it?

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

HERE'S SOME GREAT CHANGE

Barack Obama to ask New York governor Andrew Cuomo to be his 2012 running mate for vice president: sources - NYPOST.com

One jackass gone is a good start.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal - TheHill.com

Your killin me. 80% of the people want a tax increase?

SHOW ME JACKASS cuz I definitely don't believe your snake oil bull shat.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:

Your killin me. 80% of the people want a tax increase?

SHOW ME JACKASS cuz I definitely don't believe your snake oil bull shat.
Well, this is spin on the WH's part.....
The poll actually said 20% thought the way to get their was ONLY through spending cuts. that means 80% think it needs at least a combo of taxes/spending

Bryan

Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #21
spence

I think people do support the bi-partisan debt commission that said a combination of factors was necessary to address the issue. So saying that they all agree with Obama is a stretch, but I think the number of people who want any tax increase off the table is pretty low.

What's absurd is that Reagan is held as the standard for supply side economics when he had no problem raising taxes when it was necessary...16 times.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
spence

Actually, here's the poll Obama was referencing...an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Se...2-24-28-11.pdf

When asked if you support a surcharge tax on people making over a million dollars 55% found it totally acceptable and 25% found it mostly acceptable.

Page 16.

So, it does indeed look like the GOP is really out of step with the American people on their tax position in negotiation for raising the debt ceiling.

-spence
Old 07-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #23
FishermanTim

Quote:
....Where do they get these ideas out of a cracker jack box? What makes them think that small business can support this. UGH

"Ellmers then said: “Sixty-four percent of jobs that are created in this country are for small business.”......
Do they mention what percentage of jobs lost were from small businesses, or did they just happen to "forget" to mention that part?

Correct, he opens his mouth and all I hear is "EEYOORE, EEYOORE!"
Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #24
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

He's watching you

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Do they mention what percentage of jobs lost were from small businesses, or did they just happen to "forget" to mention that part?
What's the significance? Small business is a certainly a job creator but also a big area of loss as most small businesses don't really last that long.

-spence
Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Actually, here's the poll Obama was referencing...an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Se...2-24-28-11.pdf

When asked if you support a surcharge tax on people making over a million dollars 55% found it totally acceptable and 25% found it mostly acceptable.

Page 16.

So, it does indeed look like the GOP is really out of step with the American people on their tax position in negotiation for raising the debt ceiling.

-spence
Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal
By Sam Youngman and Alicia M. Cohn - 07/15/11 11:54 AM ET

President Obama on Friday kept up the pressure on Republicans to agree to revenue increases in a deal to raise the debt ceiling, claiming 80 percent of the public supports Democrats' demand for tax increases.

so let's see, page 16 of a poll of 1000 from February indicates that these (mostly non-millionaires I'm guessing) support a surcharge tax on people making over a million dollars 55% found it totally acceptable and 25% found it mostly acceptable. Shocking!!!! These 77% of 1000 from February allow Obama to claim that 80% of the Nation is with him, "the American Public Agrees...ahhhh...with ME!!!"......... unbelieveable....delusional...disturbing

maybe he missed the Rasmussen report from the other day...

55% Oppose Tax Hike In Debt Ceiling Deal
Thursday, July 14, 2011

As the Beltway politicians try to figure out how they will raise the debt ceiling and for how long, most voters oppose including tax hikes in the deal.

Just 34% think a tax hike should be included in any legislation to raise the debt ceiling. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 55% disagree and say it should not.

I guess somewhere between 80% and 34% lies the truth of course, Rasmussen is from July 14th and asked specifically about the debt ceiling and Obama's poll was plucked from a months old heap and the questions had nothing to do with the debt ceiling debate

-spence

By a 59% to19% margin, Political Class voters favor a tax hike in the debt ceiling deal.

By a 68% to 22% margin, Mainstream voters take the opposite view [/B]

55% Oppose Tax Hike In Debt Ceiling Deal - Rasmussen Reports

it does indeed???????????

looks like Obama is not only out of step but lying again

Obama: Public is 'sold' on tax increases in a debt-ceiling deal

claiming 80 percent of the public supports Democrats' demand for tax increases.

I wonder what %%%% of Americans would like Obama to find another job?

Last edited by scottw; 07-16-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #27
Raven

tax weed
Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
spence

The two numbers are not the same.

One poll asks a very specific question about a tax increase only on people earning over 1 million. There's dramatic support for this.

The other asks a very vague question about support for a "tax hike" which could imply raising taxes for everyone.

The Rasmussen poll doesn't invalidate the NBC/WSJ poll. Rather it provides another perspective at a different point in time.

I do think Obama is correct in asserting that the American people don't support the ideological position that *any* tax increase on anyone is off the table.

-spence
Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

I do think Obama is correct in asserting that the American people don't support the ideological position that *any* tax increase on anyone is off the table.

-spence
Certainly not the ones who still have the wool pulled over their eyes.

" Choose Life "
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
One poll asks a very specific question about a tax increase only on people earning over 1 million. There's dramatic support for this.

-spence
Spence, are you comfortable with a majority allowing the government to do to a minority what the majority will not accept be done to itself? Is this a form of mob rule? Is this a disregard of the constitutional protection of equality before the law? Does this ignore the Founder's intent to create a system of government that protects individuals from the tyranny of the majority?