Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
sully853

questions about kayak

i found an almost brand new 14 emotion fisherman and am thinking of picking it up. my big worry is will it support me im about 6'2 240. Also does anyone have any experiacne with one of these? The seller wants 600 do you think this is a fair price? the yak comes with a high back seat ,a paddle, and a paddel keeper
Thanks
sully853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Slingah

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...nfo-kayak.html

Live at Leeds
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Fisherman Kayak by Emotion Kayaks - Product Reviews

Paddle-Fishing • View topic - Emotion Fisherman

Does it come w/ anything (i.e. Fishfinder, Paddle, Rod Holders) $600 seems a little steep for a used one if bare....but not if its got all the bells and whistles then its probably a good price.

a new one MSRP is $699

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
sully853

it comes with a paddle two rod holders in the back and swivel rod holder in the front
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
blondterror

offer him 400 tops...

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
fishbones

I think the high back seats also go for about $75 to $100. I have one and couldn't imagine yakking without it. I tried out an emotion a few years ago and liked it. I ended up buying an Ocean Kayak. Not sure if that price is a bargain, but if I could do it all over again I'd save my pennies and get a used Hobie.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
FishermanTim

I would check to see what the weight limit is for that model.

My brother thought he was doing something nice for me, and I did appreciate the effort, but he bought a used kayak, an Ocean Kayak "Yak Board". I asked him if he could check out the weight limit for that model BEFORE buying, but he didn't.
I checked online and found that this model was rated with a max capacity of 225-240 lbs. I am over 275 lbs, so I told him thanks, but I can't use it.
He wanted to see if it would still work, even though both of us were well over the 240 max rate. He sat on the yak and proceeded to turn it into a submarine.

I have 2 SOT kayaks, both are rated with a max capacity of 350 lbs. so I have no trouble using them, and I have a spare for anyone that might want to go fishing with me. My primary yak is a Pelican Pursuit 11.5' SOT angler kayak.
I have had it in Duxbury Bay, Lake Winnipesaukee, the Concord River and a list of smaller ponds in the area.

The key things to focus on besides price are:
Is it comfortable to sit in/on?
Is it relatively easy to propel?
Is it stable enough for YOU?
Will it hold all the gear that you intend to bring/need?

Good luck and hopefully you can get what you want for the price you want!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
sully853

ya i checked out the weight limit and its 350-375 so ithink i should be fine. im going to check it out in the next couple days will let you know what happens.
Also found a Perception Kingfisher 12.5 fishing kayak that has two rod holders in the back and a swivle in the front that is also in newer condition and the want 500 for it is this a better deal? and will it support me?

Last edited by sully853; 03-23-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
sully853

Ened up picking up 14 ft Emotion Fisherman for 450 came with carbon fiber padde, scotty rod holder,high back seat. Took it for a paddle in the river held my wait nice even with decently strong current got a splash of water hear and there but mostly very dry. very easy to manuver.