Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Jim in CT

George H W Bush

An amazing patriot and family man.

Coming from a very influential family, he easily could have landed a cushy assignment in WWII. He flew bombers in the Pacific instead.

Wrote famous love letters to his 'darling Bar' back home.

More should know what he did at Chi Chi Jima. His squadron was assigned to bomb a very vital Japanese radio tower. His plane was scheduled to bomb last in the formation. Each of the planes ahead of him in the pattern, were obliterated by anti aircraft fire as they approached the target. He saw his, must have assumed he was about to meet the same fate, and attacked it anyway. His plane was shot down, he piloted the aircraft long enough for the crew to jump out, then he jumped out.

As he was in the water, Japanese boats came for him, but American pilots strafed those boats, keeping them back until he was rescued. Other American pilots who were captured alive by the Japanese at Chi Chi Jim were tortured to death, and then eaten. It's in the book 'Flyboys', written by the same guy who wrote Flags Of Our Fathers.

He also lost a daughter at age 3 to cancer, he always said that he hoped that she would be the first person to welcome him to heaven. I pray that worked out as he hoped.

Would have been easy for him to spend his life at the beach and at the country club, enjoying the wealth he inherited. But he dedicated his life to service. And he never seemed attracted to service out of a desire for power or fame or women.

Last edited by Slipknot; 12-03-2018 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: respect
Old 12-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

what a life lived for this patriot
#respect
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Slipknot; 12-03-2018 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: respect
Old 12-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
spence

Also the youngest pilot in WW2
Old 12-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
PaulS

Rip
Old 12-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Great man, dedicated servant to our country, and arguably our last great Statesman President.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Kind of a cool story here, a kid we know has been working as part of the grounds keeping crew for HW at his Kennebunk house. Really good kid who has been working the past three summers there. Straight A student, one of the top football players in the state, just a solid kid top to bottom. There is absolutely nothing you can say bad about this kid.

Well last summer the Bush's head of staff asked him to go to lunch with him. While they were at lunch, the HoS tells him that the Bush's feel that the place for him is Annapolis. The president drafted a letter of recommendation for this kid, as well as one from W, to attend Annapolis. 17 years old and this kid is set for life.

Barbara loved him too, just such a good kid.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Kind of a cool story here, a kid we know has been working as part of the grounds keeping crew for HW at his Kennebunk house. Really good kid who has been working the past three summers there. Straight A student, one of the top football players in the state, just a solid kid top to bottom. There is absolutely nothing you can say bad about this kid.

Well last summer the Bush's head of staff asked him to go to lunch with him. While they were at lunch, the HoS tells him that the Bush's feel that the place for him is Annapolis. The president drafted a letter of recommendation for this kid, as well as one from W, to attend Annapolis. 17 years old and this kid is set for life.

that’s pretty cool. Lots of stories like this about the man, who always said humility was the most important trait in a man.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
JohnR

Quote:

Wow. That is Fantastic

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

A decent man who had a strong moral compass....

I have reflected on this since I heard it.

If only current officials could find some of this in their own constitution. (note I said officials, not leaders....for they are not)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
A good kid does good work, gets noticed and a family of influence provides a pathway for that kid to better himself and honorably serve the country, and Eben Noonans it.
hey, Newsweek called Bush a wimp on their cover, and donna brazile ( yes, that donna brazile) pushed a lie that he had a mistress.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
DZ

HW is the only former President I've ever seen live. He spoke here at the Naval War College in June (15th) 2001. I still have my invitation to the event. I wrote the following notes at the time:

"Former President George Bush was the guest speaker at the graduation. Over 3000 were in attendance. Weather was partly sunny with patchy fog. Security was very tight. Also in attendance were Senator Claiborne Pell, Governor Lincoln Almond, Senator Chafee. Subject of Bush address was Operation Desert Storm."

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow. That is Fantastic
Just found out he has also been invited to the funeral.

He’s going to have to miss a day of school for that though

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:

that is very cool, and consistent with everything we know about the man.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Jim in CT

in the last moments of his life, an irish tenor who bush really liked. Bush asked him to sing Silent Night.

i thought i liked this guy before i learned everything i learned this weekend. Politics aside, what a decent person.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
JohnR

Quote:

Not a problem, the Navy takes care of their own.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not a problem, the Navy takes care of their own.
He's still in High School, Senior year

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #17
JohnR

Quote:
He's still in High School, Senior year
Ahh, thought he was at Canoe U.

Last edited by Slipknot; 12-03-2018 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: respect

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Rest in peace Mr. President.
I hope in his passing he is celebrated as he deserves to be and hopefully more people will realize what he has done for our country in his lifetime.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #19
PaulS

My brother has a thing about meeting sports celebrities. This drives the rest of the family crazy. A few years ago my uncle and brother were invited to an outing at the tennis hall of fame in Newport the day before the tennis tourney and HOF intro. there. They played on the courts and then were showering. They were almost dry when HW walks by naked to go to the shower. My brother drops his shorts and walks into the shower and talks him up as they lather up. Says he was a nice guy. I think he was trying to get invited to play tennis in Kennebunkport.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #20
Sea Dangles

Years ago we stayed at an Inn across the street from the compound in Kennebunkport. What a beautiful property on the water,looked like a striper paradise. One morning we saw Barbs out walking Millie their beloved spaniel.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

I was fishing at Parsons Beach when Fidelity came in fishing, he was driving
He fished for a while with the Secret Service guarding him from a RIB
Then he took off, his guards were paying attention to some beachgoer and got left in the dust. They scrambled
Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I was fishing at Parsons Beach when Fidelity came in fishing, he was driving
He fished for a while with the Secret Service guarding him from a RIB
Then he took off, his guards were paying attention to some beachgoer and got left in the dust. They scrambled
What kind of boat is Fidelity, an Intrepid?

HW and W liked fishing for stripers and blues.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Mike Pence's tribute to HW as worth watching. Not long ago, Pences son (a marine pilot) made a carrier landing on the USS George HW Bush. Pence contacted HW, who sent Pence's son a letter and a package.

Politics aside, the more you hear about HW, the more you think of him.

I also keep remembering that a few years ago, one of his secret service agents had a kid getting cancer treatment, and HW shaved his head in solidarity with the kid. How many people of this importance, would do that?

There is an expression - to whom much is given, much is expected. HW seemed to live by that phrase, he really did.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #24
Jim in CT

I always liked this photo of the Bush family, at mass shortly after 09/11. The warmth and love between them, always seemed so genuine to me, so sincere. I also can't help but compare that, to the poses of the family next to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	65807  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
FishermanTim

He was one of a few presidents (primarily ones in our lifetimes) that could evoke such emotional outpouring decades after his terms in office.

It goes to show just what kind of president he was, and much more to the kind of man, husband and father he was as well!

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Rest in peace Mr. President.
I hope in his passing he is celebrated as he deserves to be and hopefully more people will realize what he has done for our country in his lifetime.
Right on Bruce...I was touched to see the missing man formation flown as he was returned "home"
I am privileged to have met him and shook his hand...I have a summer home in Saco...we were at a family dinner about 10 years ago at Federal Jacks in Kennebunkport. ...President Bush drove his boat to the dock,secret service in tow...
He came in and took his table near us,being a military man myself, I stood up and saluted him (as did everyone at my table including my grandson).... he turned back smiled and shook hands with everyone at the table. ..it was one of those moments you never forget..
Godspeed mr.President you will be missed by many.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Right on Bruce...I was touched to see the missing man formation flown as he was returned "home"
I am privileged to have met him and shook his hand...I have a summer home in Saco...we were at a family dinner about 10 years ago at Federal Jacks in Kennebunkport. ...President Bush drove his boat to the dock,secret service in tow...
He came in and took his table near us,being a military man myself, I stood up and saluted him (as did everyone at my table including my grandson).... he turned back smiled and shook hands with everyone at the table. ..it was one of those moments you never forget..
Godspeed mr.President you will be missed by many.
that’s a great story.

i think all that niceness and warmth from him and Barb was totally sincere, not staged at all. just a really decent guy who felt he was spared form death for a reason, and did everything he could
to make the most of his second chance.

If you want to read a very disturbing tale of war crimes, read ‘Flyboys’, about the battle of Chi Chi Jima, where Bush was shot down. the book isn’t about him, it’s about other pilots there who were captured. but it does tell his story, and you will see how close he came to meeting a fate that’s impossible to believe happened to anyone, but it did. Bush came very very close to being tortured to death and eaten, that’s what happened to american
pilots captured at chi chi jima. i don’t know why that’s not better known.