Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
SolOmoN

Send a message via Yahoo to SolOmoN
braid to braid?

can it be done and is it advisable to?
reason is I have some 20# on a spool and the spool is maybe a .25 the way full and I would like to fill it up with the remains of some braid(same type). basically I'm cheap and if I can get by with using what I have then so be it but if I have to bite the bullet then thats what I'll do.

and finally what knot to use to bend the two together if I do it?

thanks

sol...
SolOmoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

Wink

A bloodknot will almost disappear if you get it right. Difficult on braid ( for me, anyway.) My second choice is an albright. Don't skimp on the wraps on either one.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The cheap bass turd I am....I was successful with Uni to Uni on my free tiny samples of Spiderwire stealth......

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
ScottC

Albright is what I use, works great
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

bloodknot or uni to uni. freekin' uni knot is the balls.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Albright for sure....many turns

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Pete_G

The Albright makes me nervous in a braid to braid connection. The wraps can slip over the doubled over line if it isn't tied VERY carefully and snugged down completetly. Traditionally the Albright is used in situations of joining lines of fairly different diameters. The fatter, heavier line makes a nice bump at the top of the knot the lighter, thinner line can butt up against. Lines of a similar diameter (especially thin braids) negate that quality of the knot. Bottom line is I would NEVER send a customer out of the shop with 2 sections of braid connected with a Albright. It may work, but I'd be constantly worried they would come back pissed after losing a fish of a lifetime. Using a lock on an Albright will help the cause. But I still much prefer a uni to uni knot.

I've been using the uni to uni for a long time. It works. For everything short of big game it will do the job. Although instructions generally say it is only for combining similar diameters, I've found it has no problem joining something like 14# Fireline to 30# Fluoro. Last years inshore tuna season proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Use a few less turns in the fluoro and at least 6 turns in the braid. As a braid to braid knot it's my favorite by far. 6+ turns on each side. Be sure to snug this knot down properly and completely before cutting the tags. The only failures I've seen come from slippage. This is a knot I trust completely if I have to connect braid for a customer in light tackle or surf outfits. Only way to really make it stronger is to tie Biminis before tying the knot. Much bulkier though for such a minimal gain.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
ScottC

That is interesting Pete, I have never had a problem but I see where a Uni is better by design. I hauled in a 44 pounder a few years ago with a albright to albright, if I would have lost that fish I would have died right there hahah. Usually I just re spool if I break.

Off topic, but how much is a spool of lead core going for? 45% 100 yards.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC
That is interesting Pete, I have never had a problem but I see where a Uni is better by design. I hauled in a 44 pounder a few years ago with a albright to albright, if I would have lost that fish I would have died right there hahah. Usually I just re spool if I break.

Off topic, but how much is a spool of lead core going for? 45% 100 yards.
It's not that an Albright doesn't work, in fact for a bunch of applications it's one of the best knots for the job. I'm just not sure it's the best for this application. There's a lot of people using it without issue though so it can't be all bad. Most of the failures I see with an Albright are under shock conditions. A slow, even pull doesn't necessarily show the weakness. Pop an Albright with a few quick shocks and you can sometimes get it to let go. I always shock test an Albright I tie. If that tag end slips through or the wraps manage to get over the tip of the knot it'll completetly let go.

I'm at home today so I'm not 100% sure on the price of the lead core off top of my head. I think it's $11.99 though.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
realbigfish

alberto knot. its a modified albright. very stong and low profile.
realbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

All these knots work

Uni is the one I have used without anything coming apart ever on a braid to braid or a mono to braid setup. Its really a trip when you land a fish and your knots stay together.

I always equate the albright with my flyfishing.......

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
Roger

Whatever knot you use, add a tiny drop of superglue to middle of the knot. That'll add insurance. Wrap a dime sized peice of wax paper over it so that you don't need to wait for it to dry completely before finishing winding.

I never use glue in the field, but find it helpful when splicing lines.

Best regards,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #13
baldwin

I use uni-to-uni connection for braid to braid and mono to mono, but have recently started using the albright for mono leader to braid. Satisfied customer.
baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I use uni-uni joining lines..I don't like the blood knot because of the tag ends sticking out the sides . trim those too short, you may have a problem .. Albright,,fly line to backing
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #15
ReelinRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolOmoN
can it be done and is it advisable to?.
Yes it can be done and if properly constructed, such a knot will not significantly weaken the line.

For joining equal diameter braided lines the uni to uni is best.

For unequal diameters the Albright / Alberto is good but I have been using a short spider hitch in the 20lb and then to back to back unis. I use braid exclusively on my spinner bait set-ups and use a 20lb running line (Sufix) and a braid casting (shock) leader of between 50lb and 100lb depending on the set-up's duty. When using 80 or 100 the 20 really needs to be doubled to resist slippage.

Yes, it gives you two knots about 4-6 inches apart but they go thru the guides fine and I use Fuji LSCG SiC Lowriders exclusively on my distance rigs (20mm gathering guide).
ReelinRod is offline   Reply With Quote