Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #1
wdmso

Gun-Trained Teacher Accidentally Shoots Gun In Calif. High School Classroom

high school teacher — a reserve police officer — accidentally discharged his gun during a lesson at Seaside High School in Seaside, Calif.,

"No one was seriously injured during the incident." I bet the students ears beg to differ

the term accidental discharge is no longer used in the Military they call it a negligent discharge and discipline follows for the supervisor and the trigger puller

He was Trained .. and we haven't even started a nation wide arming program

the laws of probability more guns equal more accidents & gun violence
Old 03-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #2
Nebe

Lol.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
high school teacher — a reserve police officer — accidentally discharged his gun during a lesson at Seaside High School in Seaside, Calif.,

"No one was seriously injured during the incident." I bet the students ears beg to differ

the term accidental discharge is no longer used in the Military they call it a negligent discharge and discipline follows for the supervisor and the trigger puller

He was Trained .. and we haven't even started a nation wide arming program

the laws of probability more guns equal more accidents & gun violence
What would it take, for a little honesty to take place here?

I am not a huge advocate of arming teachers. But no one said it would be perfect. If teachers have guns, there is the potential for more violence...the guns could go off accidentally, the teacher could snap and shoot up the school, a student could take the gun and shoot up the school. Those are the "cons" of arming teachers.

WDMSO, when you evaluate an idea, do you only look at the cons, or do you consider the pros, as well?

The idea of arming teachers offers the following potentially significant pros - it may deter some would-be shooters, it may help stop shootings from being worse than they otherwise would be.

Arming teachers might lead to some additional violence. But it's possible, that the violence it prevents, more than offsets that. So while the idea doesn't solve the problem, it might be an improvement over the status quo. That's the argument we need to have.

"the laws of probability more guns equal more accidents & gun violence"

When you ignore the deterrent effect, and you ignore the potential ability for a teacher to reduce the casualties of a shooting, you are right.

We will never get anywhere with thoughtless partisan rants.

Your logic is that perfect is the enemy of 'better'. It's thoughtless and dishonest.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I don't think you can determine IF arming teachers will have the affect people think it might. Teachers aren't immune to having life beat them down to a point they think they have had it and having seen teachers back in my day take a lot of crap from the kids who really didn't want to be there; not sure I'd want that guy/gal armed when he/she snaps.

Then they have to be willing to use that gun and actually kill someone at close range, that's a world apart from shouting targets at your local gun club range. Then what if the shooter hasn't shot anyone yet and there is a possibility he can be talked down by a police negotiator, but the teacher prevents that from happening by confronting him and it escalates if the teacher fails to neutralize the shooter.

Then you have the crazy student, who learns the teacher has a gun and he doesn't have access to any at home, there are just so many situations to consider to even make a judgement call. I personally think funding for better school security measures, better awareness from other students (see something, say something), teachers and parents; along with better mental health care options are a better options.

What will be interesting down the road quite a ways, is what percentage of these younger kids who walked out yesterday asking for change, become the voters who will decide to seat someone who will change the gun laws in Washington. Look at this year and the Me too movement, women becoming empowered and the youth speaking out for changes; if the momentum holds some changes are inevitable.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

I am not a huge advocate of arming teachers. But no one said it would be perfect. If teachers have guns, there is the potential for more violence...the guns could go off accidentally, the teacher could snap and shoot up the school, a student could take the gun and shoot up the school. Those are the "cons" of arming teachers.

WDMSO, when you evaluate an idea, do you only look at the cons, or do you consider the pros, as well?

The idea of arming teachers offers the following potentially significant pros - it may deter some would-be shooters, it may help stop shootings from being worse than they otherwise would be.

Arming teachers might lead to some additional violence. But it's possible, that the violence it prevents, more than offsets that. So while the idea doesn't solve the problem, it might be an improvement over the status quo. That's the argument we need to have.

When you ignore the deterrent effect, and you ignore the potential ability for a teacher to reduce the casualties of a shooting, you are right.

Your logic is that perfect is the enemy of 'better'. It's thoughtless and dishonest.
These are in the US
On average 10 children a year have been killed by guns in schools over the past 25 years.
On average 100 children a year have been killed riding their bicycles to school each year for the past 25 years
On average 1500 children a year are killed in gun violence
On average 15000 children a year are injured by guns
You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools when the shots fired were one of two negligent discharge incidents yesterday. I can not find good statistics on negligent gun discharges by people currently permitted to have guns in schools, it would be interesting. However I would surmise that it will not save lives.
I think we have a gun problem but i think it is far bigger than school shootings

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
These are in the US
On average 10 children a year have been killed by guns in schools over the past 25 years.
On average 100 children a year have been killed riding their bicycles to school each year for the past 25 years
You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools when the shots fired were one of two negligent discharge incidents yesterday. I can not find good statistics on negligent gun discharges by people currently permitted to have guns in schools, it would be interesting. However I would surmise that it will not save lives.
I think we have a gun problem but i think it is far bigger than school shootings
"You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools "

WRONG.

I accuse them of being thoughtless, because in order to determine the effect of arming teachers, you need to estimate the additional violence caused by the extra guns, and then subtract from that, the violence that is potentially reduced by the presence of the extra guns. When doing a cost benefit analysis, you need to consider both the costs and the benefits, not one or the other.

Both sides are guilty of this, both sides tend to fixate on the side that serves their agenda, and ignore the side that serves the other agenda. That's why nothing ever gets done.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"You accuse people of being thoughtless and dishonest because they think that more children will be killed if there are more guns in schools "

WRONG.

I accuse them of being thoughtless, because in order to determine the effect of arming teachers, you need to estimate the additional violence caused by the extra guns, and then subtract from that, the violence that is potentially reduced by the presence of the extra guns. When doing a cost benefit analysis, you need to consider both the costs and the benefits, not one or the other.

Both sides are guilty of this, both sides tend to fixate on the side that serves their agenda, and ignore the side that serves the other agenda. That's why nothing ever gets done.
Prove your point then, what is the cost benefit analysis

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Prove your point then, what is the cost benefit analysis
I haven't the slightest idea, never claimed I did. What I did claim, is that the idea, like all ideas, has both a cost and a benefit. It's quite possible the cost outweighs the benefit. But you can't ignore the benefit, and make a decision based just on the cost. That's all I'm saying.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
spence

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...from-misfiring
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And I know a few dozen families in Newtown, who would gouge their own eyes out, for the teachers there to have been armed.

As I said, the thoughtless ideologues, focus on the one side of the cost/benefit analysis that serves their agenda, and ignore the other side. Too bad the places where you get your news, don't have cartoons showing tiny caskets that are not lowered into the ground because of the occasional (admittedly rare) benefit of having armed security around...
Old 03-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
And I know a few dozen families in Newtown, who would gouge their own eyes out, for the teachers there to have been armed.

As I said, the thoughtless ideologues, focus on the one side of the cost/benefit analysis that serves their agenda, and ignore the other side. Too bad the places where you get your news, don't have cartoons showing tiny caskets that are not lowered into the ground because of the occasional (admittedly rare) benefit of having armed security around...
So you are going to save some fraction of 10 children per year, and not worry about the 1500 other children who are killed or 15,000 who are injured by gun violence.
Perhaps the fractional savings of having children not ride bicycles to school would be worthwhile, what about those parents? There are many more of those than parents of children killed by school shooters and no one has the right to a bicycle.
How will you explain the cost benefit analysis to the parent of a child shot negligently by an armed school teacher/guard?
Or when the school shooter uses the armed school teacher/guards gun to kill someone?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Or simply for a properly secured entryway and a lack of easy access to a Bushmaster XM-15.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
And yet these Newtown families would disagree with you.

http://wnpr.org/post/sandy-hook-pare...rming-teachers
Old 03-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And yet these Newtown families would disagree with you.

http://wnpr.org/post/sandy-hook-pare...rming-teachers
I dont care what NPR says, those parents wish there were armed teachers in that school on that day. It's not possible that they didn't wish the teachers were armed that day.

Your NPR link quoted one of the Sandy Hook families. One. One is less than sixteen. I know math isn't a strong suit for liberals, but surely even NPR knows that 1 < 16.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Or simply for a properly secured entryway and a lack of easy access to a Bushmaster XM-15.
Major Hasan used a handgun, and killed 13 soldiers, shot 30 more. I have stated many times that I am convinced there is a reason why a lot of these kooks choose weapons that look like the AR-15, but you or I could walk into an elementary school with a handgun and easily kill 20. I'm not saying I like the AR-15. I'm saying you can make a compelling argument, that banning them, might not do much. But it might save SOME lives (see what I did there? I mentioned the pro AND the con - try it sometime, I promise that your brain won't explode, you might even like how it feels to show some intellectual honesty).

As to the entryway, how did Cruz get in? I never learned that...But my school is secure, has one locked door with a buzzer. I can make up a lot of different stories to get in. I've gone in the middle of the day, rung the buzzer, and told whoever answered that my son forgot his saxophone and I was there to drop it off. They don't confirm before they buzz me in. But security is of course, part of it.

I wouldn't arm teachers. I'd have soldiers.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Armed teachers should be #24 on the list of solutions and the few that can do it are by far the exception to the rule.

Short version, you have to prevent people that should not have access to a weapon from getting hands on them.

You need to work out a way people that should not have access are flagged, then heard in a court in order not to overly infringe on their rights.

You need to vastly improve training and school security.

There have surely been studies done to come up with alternatives that enhance security.

Proven: Hanging signs stating "Gun Free Zone" are about as effective as signs stating "Drug Free Zones"

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
I dont care what NPR says, those parents wish there were armed teachers in that school on that day. It's not possible that they didn't wish the teachers were armed that day.

Your NPR link quoted one of the Sandy Hook families. One. One is less than sixteen. I know math isn't a strong suit for liberals, but surely even NPR knows that 1 < 16.
Actually sounds like they discussed it with two people although there are quotes from one. Do you have any quotes from those "dozens of families" who you claimed wish teachers had guns that day?

And here's a quote from Nicole Hockley from another article.

“Rather than arm them with a firearm,” Ms. Hockley said of teachers, “I would rather arm them with the knowledge of how to prevent these acts from happening in the first place.”

Last edited by PaulS; 03-15-2018 at 06:42 PM..
Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Actually sounds like they discussed it with two people although there are quotes from one. Do you have any quotes from those "dozens of families" who you claimed wish teachers had guns that day?

And here's a quote from Nicole Hockley from another article.

“Rather than arm them with a firearm,” Ms. Hockley said of teachers, “I would rather arm them with the knowledge of how to prevent these acts from happening in the first place.”

the article you posted said Newton families - plural. I Saw a husband and wide comment about teachers. one family. 1<plural.

Paul, I'm also opposed to arming teachers, but I like a little honesty.

"Do you have any quotes from those "dozens of families" who you claimed wish teachers had guns that day?"

Nope. But I have common sense bursting out of my ears.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 AM   #19
wdmso

Quote:

why is it a good guy with a gun or a teacher with a gun an honest idea

posting about a good guy with a gun in a school shooting a ceiling tile... in class or saying more guns more likely increases the chances of accidents then preventing school shootings is thoughtless and dishonest ??

i think those who support guns in schools have not conducted an honest risk assessment of the whole idea they just assume gun equals better safety.. i dont assumes its risker to have a gun on a teacher a risk assessment shows it is

Last edited by wdmso; 03-16-2018 at 03:34 AM..
Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #20
PaulS

Quote:
the article you posted said Newton families - plural. I Saw a husband and wide comment about teachers. one family. 1<plural.

Paul, I'm also opposed to arming teachers, but I like a little honesty.

"Do you have any quotes from those "dozens of families" who you claimed wish teachers had guns that day?"

Quote:
Given you can't back up your statement (and were just shown to be wrong about liberals counting ability and a petty angry person at that), maybe if you were concerned about honesty you should stop lying yourself. If you want to talk about lack of honesty, either pull up statement from "dozens of families" or look in the mirror to see the person who is not honest.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
zimmy

Quote:
When you say you know them, do you know them? I don't know a few dozen, but I do personally know people who lost a child, a former colleague who lost a child, and have a good friend who had kids in Sandy Hook School that day and I have NEVER heard them say they wish the teachers were armed. Pretty sure you are making that up and it is a pretty egregious thing to state that if you don't actually know it. I understand the sentiment you are referring to, but many of those parents have dedicated their lives to preventing it happening to other people and I don't know one of them who is promoting armed teachers. I do know some of them are appalled by the idea.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #22
zimmy

Quote:

There is that back patting again.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #23
Pete F.
Canceled

Some competition here

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...on-in-the-room

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #24
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
There is that back patting again.
Try making that wrong.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #25
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
When you say you know them, do you know them? I don't know a few dozen, but I do personally know people who lost a child, a former colleague who lost a child, and have a good friend who had kids in Sandy Hook School that day and I have NEVER heard them say they wish the teachers were armed. Pretty sure you are making that up and it is a pretty egregious thing to state that if you don't actually know it. I understand the sentiment you are referring to, but many of those parents have dedicated their lives to preventing it happening to other people and I don't know one of them who is promoting armed teachers. I do know some of them are appalled by the idea.
It is easy to sit in a chair while you are supposed to be working and be the judge and jury. Sometime s the context of such statements are lost on certain individuals. I think what Jim is trying to explain is that ANY PARENT who lost a child that day at Sandy Hook would have embraced ANY measure which could have prevented their child's death. Obviously the children were defenseless and there were no heroes in the building that could use martial arts or fancy words to help save a life. Let's not pretend that if any of us finds ourselves in a situation where the outlook appears dire and the bad guys have guns as well as bad intentions then we would hope for any way to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Who is going to be the first fool here that gets a look at the news and hears that a shooter is at their children's school with plenty of ammo and there is NOBODY to defend their son or daughter. Can you honestly say you would just sit there and HOPE for the best? Yes, we have to do better at preventing a situation like this in the first place. But what happens when that doesn't work?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
It is easy to sit in a chair while you are supposed to be working and be the judge and jury. Sometime s the context of such statements are lost on certain individuals. I think what Jim is trying to explain is that ANY PARENT who lost a child that day at Sandy Hook would have embraced ANY measure which could have prevented their child's death. Obviously the children were defenseless and there were no heroes in the building that could use martial arts or fancy words to help save a life. Let's not pretend that if any of us finds ourselves in a situation where the outlook appears dire and the bad guys have guns as well as bad intentions then we would hope for any way to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Who is going to be the first fool here that gets a look at the news and hears that a shooter is at their children's school with plenty of ammo and there is NOBODY to defend their son or daughter. Can you honestly say you would just sit there and HOPE for the best? Yes, we have to do better at preventing a situation like this in the first place. But what happens when that doesn't work?
These are in the US
There are 74 million children under 18 in the US, I didn't check to see just how many are in school, but lets say 50 million.
Roughly 20,000 children die each year for any reason.
On average 570 children a year are killed in car accidents
Just where are our priorities?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
why is it a good guy with a gun or a teacher with a gun an honest idea

posting about a good guy with a gun in a school shooting a ceiling tile... in class or saying more guns more likely increases the chances of accidents then preventing school shootings is thoughtless and dishonest ??

i think those who support guns in schools have not conducted an honest risk assessment of the whole idea they just assume gun equals better safety.. i dont assumes its risker to have a gun on a teacher a risk assessment shows it is
"why is it a good guy with a gun or a teacher with a gun an honest idea "

Because in most cases (if not all cases), the mass shootings stop at some point, after the good guys with guns show up. Not before. So common sense dictates that if a mass shooter shows up somewhere, the closer a good guy is with a gun, the fewer victims there will be. Now, having guns in school may cost more lives than it saves (accidental shootings, someone getting their hands on the guns, etc). But there is a potential benefit to having someone on scene with a gun. Are you really going to say that makes no sense?

"i think those who support guns in schools have not conducted an honest risk assessment "

Some, sure. Some are touting the benefits of guns in schools and acting like there is no downside.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Given you can't back up your statement (and were just shown to be wrong about liberals counting ability and a petty angry person at that), maybe if you were concerned about honesty you should stop lying yourself. If you want to talk about lack of honesty, either pull up statement from "dozens of families" or look in the mirror to see the person who is not honest.
"Given you can't back up your statement "

Sure I can, because I have a brain. Who would rather wait for the cops to show up, in that situation, than rely on an armed teacher?

You said families, plural, spoke out against it. The article only referred to one.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #29
Sea Dangles

Quote:
These are in the US
There are 74 million children under 18 in the US, I didn't check to see just how many are in school, but lets say 50 million.
Roughly 20,000 children die each year for any reason.
On average 570 children a year are killed in car accidents
Just where are our priorities?
Not sure about that but my priority is to raise my children to grow up to be independent, kind people. They deserve to be protected regardless of where or how.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #30
PaulS

Quote:
"Given you can't back up your statement "

Sure I can, because I have a brain. Who would rather wait for the cops to show up, in that situation, than rely on an armed teacher?

You said families, plural, spoke out against it. The article only referred to one.
If you had a brain you wouldn't have questioned the article.

So either show us statements from the "dozens of families" or admit you're dishonest (either way you're petty for even commenting on the plural).