Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #31
Nebe

Ok. glad to hear this.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
As usual you didn't understand the context of why I posted the story. But I will dumb it down for you. When tdf was talking about gender studies, I thought I would post a humorous example of the far reaching righteousness of our progressive educators. Nothing more,nothing less.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
This is actually pretty common across the country. Doesn't seem to much much of an issue.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I’ll say this again. Trump is not signing this tax bill until 2018 so that when the cards fall, it will happen after the 2019 elections. Why would he do this if this is such a gift to all Americans?
Got any other predictions?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #34
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You will post more about your fascination with gays and liberals.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
You will post more about your fascination with gays and liberals.
And Hillary.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #36
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This is actually pretty common across the country. Doesn't seem to much much of an issue.
Its dopey and offensive to anybody with common sense,which is why I am not surprised you consider it to be acceptable.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #37
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I suspect the Dems will pick up some house and senate seats. Rumors of lots of women in both parties invigorated, running or supporting women running. Possibly flipping the senate to dems, but not flipping the house.

Donald will get primaried from inside the GOP
Not a clue who runs for the dems. We’ll see after 2018 who emerges.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
And Hillary.
Who? That nut doing infomercials for her book? Is she still around?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I suspect the Dems will pick up some house and senate seats. Rumors of lots of women in both parties invigorated, running or supporting women running. Possibly flipping the senate to dems, but not flipping the house.

Donald will get primaried from inside the GOP
Not a clue who runs for the dems. We’ll see after 2018 who emerges.
2018: in the senate, the GOP could not have better hand-picked which seats are up for re-election. There are twice as many democrats up for re-election as republicans. And I believe there is one Republican up for re election in a state that Hilary won, and 8 or 9 democrats up in states that Trump won. It would take a major event for the democrats to pick up seats in the senate. And that could happen.

You may be right in the house. Or, if the Dow is at 30,000, unemployment is at 3%, and 80% of Americans are actually seeing a small bump in their net take home pay, they might remember that not a single democrat voted for any of that. That's the gamble with tax reform. It's why the democrats are scared sh*tless of that bill.

In 2020 I think Trump steps down, and Pence runs, hopefully with Nikki Haley. Unless God answers my prayers and Condaleeza Rice steps up. Lie-awatha will run for the Democats, maybe Sanders too. Can't see anyone else on the horizon, Chris Murphy (God help us) maybe...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-23-2017 at 07:17 AM..
Old 12-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #40
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
2018: in the senate, the GOP could not have better hand-picked which seats are up for re-election. There are twice as many democrats up for re-election as republicans. And I believe there is one Republican up for re election in a state that Hilary won, and 8 or 9 democrats up in states that Trump won. It would take a major event for the democrats to pick up seats in the senate. And that could happen.

You may be right in the house. Or, if the Dow is at 30,000, unemployment is at 3%, and 80% of Americans are actually seeing a small bump in their net take home pay, they might remember that not a single democrat voted for any of that. That's the gamble with tax reform. It's why the democrats are scared sh*tless of that bill.

In 2020 I think Trump steps down, and Pence runs, hopefully with Nikki Haley. Unless God answers my prayers and Condaleeza Rice steps up. Lie-awatha will run for the Democats, maybe Sanders too. Can't see anyone else on the horizon, Chris Murphy (God help us) maybe...
You are not wrong on the senate, but even if it falls on the same lines one or two seats either way are huge. If Bannon gets involved and makes the gop voters divisive, all bets are off...

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
You are not wrong on the senate, but even if it falls on the same lines one or two seats either way are huge. If Bannon gets involved and makes the gop voters divisive, all bets are off...
Unless the economy crashes or we have a 9/11 event, I fail to see how the GOP doesn’t pick up senate seats. There are a few democrats up for re election in states that trump won by double digits. It’s just a horrible set of seats that happen to be up for re election, from the democrat perspective. It’s as if the gop hand picked which seats would be up.

As usual, you make an astute point about Bannon. He could screw the whole thing up.

There are several democrat senators who won purple states in 2012, largely because they rode Obamas coat tails. He can’t help them in 2018. And that will have an effect.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #42
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Unless the economy crashes or we have a 9/11 event, I fail to see how the GOP doesn’t pick up senate seats. There are a few democrats up for re election in states that trump won by double digits. It’s just a horrible set of seats that happen to be up for re election, from the democrat perspective. It’s as if the gop hand picked which seats would be up.

As usual, you make an astute point about Bannon. He could screw the whole thing up.

There are several democrat senators who won purple states in 2012, largely because they rode Obamas coat tails. He can’t help them in 2018. And that will have an effect.

You are correct, no Obama coattails, but there are votes that will come over with Trumps polarization. It will be telling who he endorses now and who wants his endorsement in the gop.

It will be an interesting year of politics.

Bryan

Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
You are correct, no Obama coattails, but there are votes that will come over with Trumps polarization. It will be telling who he endorses now and who wants his endorsement in the gop.

It will be an interesting year of politics.
Very, very interesting.

If 80% of Americans really do see a tax cut, that's the whole GOP election message right there. "Vote for me, or your taxes will go back up, and you'll stop getting these $1,000 bonuses and minimum wage hikes." It's a smart political move by the GOP. The people who got those $1,000 bonuses, might not care that Trump is a reptile.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Its dopey and offensive to anybody with common sense,which is why I am not surprised you consider it to be acceptable.
I didn't say I'd support it, just that it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #45
wdmso

I am a simple guy poor writer and worse speller but I work pay bills and have a house and live comfortably ..

its been said by many conservatives the Government should be run as a business or as we run our households.. ok hows is this tax plan doing that?

Sure i may get a tax break of 500 or 1000 bucks . i could also switch to geico stop going to D&D and save as much ..

Republicans know poor people and the middle class drive the economy 98% of any money they get is put back into the system.. where is the rich its reverse 2% goes back the other 98% gets invested or remains as wealth passed along

so in a nut shell the government gives big business more money and the government gives the middle class some money back to give it back to the companys who just got a huge tax break . but we should be thanking Trump for this bounty?

So the government just took a $5.5 trillion in revenue loss over a decade.

this is like one of us in our house losing our job.. the out come is clear things have to go ....or worse

a business with such a reduction in revenue would more likely close

What are they going to try to Take next? the next argument will be need to balance the budget
Old 12-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #46
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I am a simple guy poor writer and worse speller but I work pay bills and have a house and live comfortably ..

its been said by many conservatives the Government should be run as a business or as we run our households.. ok hows is this tax plan doing that?

It should be run at the behest of its citizens. If the citizens want personal freedom then it should be run differently than if they want to be subservient to government and to depend that it will provide all wants and needs. In either case, the smarter, more able, most aggressive, most dominant, will find a way to "run" things. Powerful, ruling humans, not being angels, will more often than not progress into a form of tyranny. A check against that would be a system of government which pits power versus power. Checks and balances, as we say in our system. Power seekers would over time tend to eliminate as many checks against them as they can.

Sure i may get a tax break of 500 or 1000 bucks . i could also switch to geico stop going to D&D and save as much ..

You could also make that switch with the tax plan and so save twice as much. If $2000 thousand is a pittance to you, you're not as poor as you say.

Republicans know poor people and the middle class drive the economy 98% of any money they get is put back into the system.. where is the rich its reverse 2% goes back the other 98% gets invested or remains as wealth passed along

Entrepreneurs and businesses drive the economy. The rest of us are passengers who buy the tickets. Both are equally needed.

And investment in business also drives the economy. Investment in business maintains and grows the economy. Confiscating money from business over and above the money business spends in wages, maintenance, growth, etc., and distributing it to others without compensation limits its abilities to hire, maintain, and grow. So it cannot "drive" as well and so cannot carry as many passengers.

so in a nut shell the government gives big business more money and the government gives the middle class some money back to give it back to the companys who just got a huge tax break . but we should be thanking Trump for this bounty?

If you want the economy to drive better, to carry more passengers, it is wise to invest in the drivers. Investing in government siphons fuel from the economy's engine, and we find ourselves walking or peddling a bike or driving an old car or staying home waiting for a government check rather than riding in a new car to work and pleasure.

this is like one of us in our house losing our job.. the out come is clear things have to go ....or worse

No, it's like one of us overextending ourselves and our resources and needing to cut back to a more sustainable level of work and spending. And one of us does not have the ability to print fiat money, as does the federal government, to cover our profligate spending, and by doing so, to devalue everyone elses savings and spending power.

General Motors was forced, by the federal government, to downsize and pay entry level workers less, and the company divested itself of pension responsibilities giving that to the workers and their unions to handle, and it is back bigger than ever, Now, for some reason, the federal government cannot see the wisdom it applied to an over-bloated, overextended, financialy in unstainable debt, General Motors, to its own similar financial condition. But then, why should we expect it to see the light when it can just print its own money and screw the rest of us by doing so, and then blaming it on the evil businesses, and entrepreneurs, enabling it to regulate them into submission and placing them under threat of new regulations.

What are they going to try to Take next? the next argument will be need to balance the budget
Oh, as Spence would say, the horror.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-27-2017 at 09:53 PM..
Old 12-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:

Money that is invested is also “put back into” the economy. Unless you burn your money or bury it, it goes back into he economy.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #48
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Oh, as Spence would say, the horror.
who said i was poor? I know I should be happy with my 1000.00 dollars (sarcasm) with the estate tax removal the Trump family would get $7B windfall I should be happy for them (sarcasm) like they need a tax break
Old 12-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #49
wdmso

Quote:
Money that is invested is also “put back into” the economy. Unless you burn your money or bury it, it goes back into he economy.
1000 spent and 1000 invested are not the same
Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
1000 spent and 1000 invested are not the same
I didn’t say they were the same. I said they are both pumped into the economy. You said wealthy people don’t use money in a way that puts it back into the economy. Unless they burn it or bury it, it goes back into the economy, and nothing in chairman Mao’s little red book can make that wrong. The economy needs people to invest, and it also needs people to spend. Both are critical.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
who said i was poor?

I apologize. I misread your post. You said you are a poor writer, not a poor person. But you certainly are not a poor avoider of rational discussion. I give a detailed response to your post, and the only thing you can respond back to is my irrelevant misread. But that gives you the appearance of actually responding to the meat of my post, which you are, apparently, incapable of doing. That you can't actually debate economics, makes you a poor judge of economic issues, so an unreliable judge of how the tax bill will impact the economy. You spout leftist talking points, but give no evidence that you know what you're talking about.

I know I should be happy with my 1000.00 dollars (sarcasm) with the estate tax removal the Trump family would get $7B windfall I should be happy for them (sarcasm) like they need a tax break
If you are not happy with $1,000 tax free every year, why should the rest of us care how you feel? There are probably millions of folks who'd be happy to take it off your hands if it means so little to you. Millions of folks who would be thrilled with the extra money. I doubt if the rest of the world cares what your emotional reaction to getting the money is. Burn it, for all we care. No, wait, spend it or invest it or save it in some bank account which will all contribute to the economy. And everyone else who gets the 1K or more will do the same, and the economy will be better off.

But why do you care how much of Trump's money he gets back? He's going to do the same thing you do, but on a grander scale, so will personally make a far more positive impact on the "economy" than you will, with your puny unappreciated 1K.

But if the federal government keeps it, the record shows that it will squander most of it on projects and programs that stifle the market growth needed to create jobs in which people will depend on earned income. So, instead, it will create more permanent government dependents. And, somehow, even with the massive cut the fed gets from tax confiscation, it manages to keep getting further in debt. Which also becomes a drag on the rest of us, not to mention the drag on the economy.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-25-2017 at 01:41 AM..
Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #52
wdmso

Quote:
If you are not happy with $1,000 tax free every year, why should the rest of us care how you feel? There are probably millions of folks who'd be happy to take it off your hands if it means so little to you. Millions of folks who would be thrilled with the extra money. I doubt if the rest of the world cares what your emotional reaction to getting the money is. Burn it, for all we care. No, wait, spend it or invest it or save it in some bank account which will all contribute to the economy. And everyone else who gets the 1K or more will do the same, and the economy will be better off.

But why do you care how much of Trump's money he gets back? He's going to do the same thing you do, but on a grander scale, so will personally make a far more positive impact on the "economy" than you will, with your puny unappreciated 1K.

But if the federal government keeps it, the record shows that it will squander most of it on projects and programs that stifle the market growth needed to create jobs in which people will depend on earned income. So, instead, it will create more permanent government dependents. And, somehow, even with the massive cut the fed gets from tax confiscation, it manages to keep getting further in debt. Which also becomes a drag on the rest of us, not to mention the drag on the economy.

Hard to have a rational discussion. when your only point in all your threads is anti government this anti government that ,,

.. i would have rather kept taxes where they were and took care of nations infrastructure.. but that wont happen now

its basic math ... you pull that much revenue from any system things suffer... you dont need a degree in economics to figure that out ..
Old 12-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #53
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Maybe he would be much happier had Hillary won and no doubt instead of getting $1000 the government would be taking atleast that $1000 from all of us !

Quote:

Old 12-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #54
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=wdmso;1134026]Hard to have a rational discussion. when your only point in all your threads is anti government this anti government that ,,

.. i would have rather kept taxes where they were and took care of nations infrastructure.. but that wont happen now

What “nations infrastructure” you talking about, ours or the rest of the world ?
Old 12-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #55
Nebe

You guys are insane if you think that parking millions or billions in a bank account Ian”returning it back into the economy”.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #56
scottw

Quote:
You guys are insane if you think that parking millions or billions in a bank account Ian”returning it back into the economy”.
you are insane if you park millions or billions in a bank account....
Old 12-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #57
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you are insane if you park millions or billions in a bank account....
As opposed to the same amount of money used by the middle class “consumers”. I should have explained my point further.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
You are insane, more accurately ignorant, if you deny it.

Nebe, where do you suppose banks get money to make loans, so that people can get mortgages and open businesses? They are lending the depositors' money. If there are no depositors, the bank has no funds to make loans.

Turn off MSNBC and read an economics text.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #59
spence

Quote:

Nebe, where do you suppose banks get money to make loans, so that people can get mortgages and open businesses? They are lending the depositors' money. If there are no depositors, the bank has no funds to make loans.
Nebe, you just got schooled.

Since you're ignorant and insane I'll break this down for you. The reason the economy is in the tank is because the banks don't have money to loan business so they can hire people and pay higher wages.

If we give the banks money in the form of deposits the banks will be able to lower interest rates and give out tons of loans. If we give the banks a lot of money they will lower rates to zero and we will have unlimited growth.

Make that wrong.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #60
scottw

Quote:

The reason the economy is in the tank is because.....