Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #31
wdmso

It's a "sad day in America" when lawmakers, their staff, and their family members are being threatened for how they choose to vote on legislation, Rep. Fred Upton, who received a threatening voicemail after voting for the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill, said Sunday.

Welcome to the new GOP

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It's a "sad day in America" when lawmakers, their staff, and their family members are being threatened for how they choose to vote on legislation, Rep. Fred Upton, who received a threatening voicemail after voting for the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill, said Sunday.

Welcome to the new GOP

was it sad when Maxine Waters said on TV that people should confront republicans in public, to let them know they aren't welcome anytime, anywhere?

If this only a republican problem, tell that to Steve Scalise.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:

why has the national guard been activated in Wisconsin? because they’re afraid conservatives are going to riot? or afraid
liberals are going to riot?
Old 11-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #34
scottw

Quote:

Rep. Fred Upton, who received a threatening voicemail

pretty sure this is the first time this has ever happened since phones were invented

what have we become....???
Old 11-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

why has the national guard been activated in Wisconsin?

roasting marshmallows for the peaceful protestors...peaceful protestors will provide the campfires
Old 11-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #36
wdmso

Quote:
why has the national guard been activated in Wisconsin? because they’re afraid conservatives are going to riot? or afraid
liberals are going to riot?
So you think that comment doesn’t apply to them… also

I am happy that I am not a Fan boy !
of 17 year who killed 2 and shot one claiming self defense…

Ps get back to me when these people whom may or may not riot try to overthrow the government .
Old 11-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
So you think that comment doesn’t apply to them… also

I am happy that I am not a Fan boy !
of 17 year who killed 2 and shot one claiming self defense…

Ps get back to me when these people whom may or may not riot try to overthrow the government .
for the 20th time, it was unbelievably stupid for rittenhouse to head there with a rifle.

but that has absolutely no bearing on the trial. because even stupid people are entitled to self defense.

“claiming self defense.”

FFS, one of them pointed a loaded gun at Rittenhouses head from 5 feet away. how is that NOT self defense? the guy who got shot, pointed his gun at rittenhouse, before rittenhouse raised his gun at him. open and shut self defense.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
So you think that comment doesn’t apply to them…
you said something like “welcome to the new GOP”.

so no, you weren’t talking about BLM rioters.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #39
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
for the 20th time, it was unbelievably stupid for rittenhouse to head there with a rifle.

but that has absolutely no bearing on the trial. because even stupid people are entitled to self defense.

“claiming self defense.”

FFS, one of them pointed a loaded gun at Rittenhouses head from 5 feet away. how is that NOT self defense? the guy who got shot, pointed his gun at rittenhouse, before rittenhouse raised his gun at him. open and shut self defense.
Maybe the guy who was pointing the gun saw an active shooter kill two people, but I guess it all depends on who’s shooting.
I can find plenty of rationalizations for shooting armed people that were seen as threats.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-15-2021, 06:54 PM   #40
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Maybe the guy who was pointing the gun saw an active shooter kill two people, but I guess it all depends on who’s shooting.
I can find plenty of rationalizations for shooting armed people that were seen as threats.
Doesn't matter what the guy who was pointing the gun thinks he saw. Rittenhouse still reacted in self defense. Including when he shot the other two that were chasing him and attacking him.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #41
scottw

Quote:

Yes, the cell phone brigade was unable to overthrow the government…..
Old 11-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #42
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Doesn't matter what the guy who was pointing the gun thinks he saw. Rittenhouse still reacted in self defense. Including when he shot the other two that were chasing him and attacking him.
Pete is frustrated again…
Old 11-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #43
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Thank the GOP and Trump for finally bringing us infrastructure funding desperately needed, oh wait it’s NOT the all talk and no action guys win. Moscow Mitch ready to block everything, until it helps everyone including his constituents and then he is a no show for the signing, partisan hack.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Thank the GOP and Trump for finally bringing us infrastructure funding desperately needed, oh wait it’s NOT the all talk and no action guys win. Moscow Mitch ready to block everything, until it helps everyone including his constituents and then he is a no show for the signing, partisan hack.
the gop gets a huge F for not doing this when they could’ve.

despite your seething hatred, every single poll shows republicans holding huge leads for the midterms, as of now, which is a long way off obviously.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:01 AM   #45
scottw

Quote:

despite your seething hatred

he's been pretty cranky hasn't he....
Old 11-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #46
wdmso

The Wyoming Republican Party voted on Saturday to no longer recognize Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) as a member of their party.

For not bending the knee to Trump… America 1st just another GOP scam

So Joe and Krysten still getting it worse ?
Old 11-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #47
scottw

Quote:

The Wyoming Republican Party voted on Saturday to no longer recognize Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) as a member of their party.

you can have her if we get Tulsi Gabbard
Old 11-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you can have her if we get Tulsi Gabbard
amen to that.

wayne, is the DNC throwing parades for Manchin and Sinema right now? or are they being attacked non-stop? but according to you, that’s ok.

the GOP had a little civil war, it’s over, and the Liz Cheney faction got clobbered.

The democrat civil war is just starting, and man oh man is it entertaining.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:

So Joe and Krysten still getting it worse ?
they’re getting smeared non stop by the left. wait until there’s more attention to the social spending bill.

wayne, if the people back hime
feel cheney betrayed them, this is what she deserves. it’s called democracy. you think there’s a rule that you can’t criticize elected officials within your own party?

Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

The Republicans sure are being mean to Liz Cheney, someone who has the capacity to mount an independent spoiler run for POTUS in 2 years slicing off 5-8% of the R vote in places like PA or even Iowa. I’d donate.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
The Republicans sure are being mean to Liz Cheney, someone who has the capacity to mount an independent spoiler run for POTUS in 2 years slicing off 5-8% of the R vote in places like PA or even Iowa. I’d donate.
are the democrats being mean to Manchin and Sinema?

what is a party supposed to do, when it feels a member isn’t being loyal?

politics is a contact sport.

Cheney might run as a republican in the primary and get trounced. if she runs as an independent in the general that would increase the odds of a democratic win for sure. unless Kamala is running, in which case every registered republican in the country could run for president, and many would still get more votes than she will.

turns out being black and female, doesn’t necessarily overcome being an unimpressive, unprincipled, stupid, cackling skank.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #52
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
are the democrats being mean to Manchin and Sinema?

what is a party supposed to do, when it feels a member isn’t being loyal?

politics is a contact sport.

Cheney might run as a republican in the primary and get trounced. if she runs as an independent in the general that would increase the odds of a democratic win for sure. unless Kamala is running, in which case every registered republican in the country could run for president, and many would still get more votes than she will.

turns out being black and female, doesn’t necessarily overcome being an unimpressive, unprincipled, stupid, cackling skank.
Misogyny much?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
Misogyny much?
i don’t think it’s sexist to call a skank a skank.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #54
wdmso

feel cheney betrayed them, this is what she deserves. it’s called democracy. you think there’s a rule that you can’t criticize elected officials within your own party?

You have a twisted idea of Democracy…. Betrayed ! Lol. Can you say Radicalized
Old 11-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #55
Jim in CT

Quote:

You have a twisted idea of Democracy…. Betrayed ! Lol. Can you say Radicalized
they feel she betrayed them. it’s their opinion wayne, just as you have many opinions that a lot of people think are, well, not flawless.

my idea of democracy, is that people
who voted for liz cheney are allowed to criticize her if they feel betrayed.

there’s a big difference between failing to exhibit fealty, and voting to impeach. you have your opinion. her constituents have theirs. If the GOP stayed in its 2010 course, Liz might have been destined for big things. The GOP is different now, less tolerance for republicans of her mold.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-17-2021 at 08:22 PM..
Old 11-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #56
Pete F.
Canceled

Pretty simple, if you don’t exhibit fealty to Trump they’ll attempt to throw you out of the party.
Because Trump is the party and it is party first, country second
Old 11-17-2021, 11:04 PM   #57
detbuch

Quote:
Pretty simple, if you don’t exhibit fealty to Trump they’ll attempt to throw you out of the party.
Because Trump is the party and it is party first, country second
There is a land mass named the United States. When some people pledge allegiance to it, they have a vision of what it is, what their "country" is. What it is supposed to be according to whatever vision they've been taught, or have conjured on their own.

As individuals become members of groups and are cajoled into political parties, they either choose the party that seems to most closely align with the personal vision they experientially have grown into, or they simply inherit the party of their parents or of whatever societal tribe they belong to.

But the party they choose or inherit does not have the same vision of what the "country" is as does the other party (or parties). In the beginning, the vision of "our country" was pretty much, or at least fundamentally, the same for the two major parties. That original vision was informed by the Constitution the founders created.

As time passed with new generations of citizens with continuously changing visions of what the "country" is, or is supposed to be, the gap in vision between parties grew. Till today, the visions have become fundamentally opposed.

One party seems to prefer that we do not publicly make a formal pledge of allegiance to it, as that would offend some sensibilities. For that party, fealty to "country" verges on jingoistic nationalism. It supports kneeling in protest to what the flag represents. The borders separating our "country" from the rest of the world are more of an impediment than a protection. And for that party, the original uniting vision of what the country is politically, has also become an impediment. That binding, unifying document, must continually be evaded, overcome, while giving lip service to it with novel, contradictive interpretations. Rather, that party verges toward formal, legal, union with the rest of the world. Toward worldwide treaties that can bind us to world opinion and governance, and can be strong enough to supercede the limitations of the outdated U.S. constitution. That's all well and good if it's to your liking.

But it differs in so many ways from the vision of the "country" that the other party has which include opposition on things like our borders, the meaning of our Constitution, our view of exceptionalism, individual and religious liberty, right to bear arms, size and scope of government, marriage, life . . . even to the most fundamental division on what constitutes a man or a woman.

We live in the same land mass, but not in the same "country." The words country and nation are colloquially used interchangeably. But they have a formal distinct meaning. "Country" being a land mass, and "nation" being the political, social, cultural, etc., union. I put that word in quotes because expressions like "country first" usually are not merely referring to a land mass, but to a "nation." The intended meaning would more correctly be "nation first." We all live in the same defined land mass. But when we say "country first" we don't mean "land mass first."

On the other hand, maybe "country first" is appropriate to Progressives' vision of government. They have more affinity to the world, the global land mass, than merely being restricted to the U.S. "nation" which is too antiquated, provincial, and unfair according to their view of it..

Anyway, Trump is not the party. Hopefully, the party learned some important things from Trump--gained some political wisdom and know how that can appeal to Americans who are becoming aware of the stealth of this nation that progressivism has been covertly perpetrating for a century and is now more boldly and openly foisting on us. Politically, Trump is definitely "nation first." And that notion is horrific to Progressives. Understandably so. The Progressive doctrine is progressively morphing from its vision of administrated state power over this nation into the larger collective of administration over the Western world--and over the world eventually. And, of course, by experts who'll make it all good.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:29 AM   #58
Pete F.
Canceled

Liz Cheney is a conservative Republican in every traditional respect. But she will not lie for Trump -- which is why she's persona non grata in the GOP. "The Republican Party is more than Trump!" some people say, with annoyance. Oh? Not by the evidence.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Liz Cheney is a conservative Republican in every traditional respect. But she will not lie for Trump -- which is why she's persona non grata in the GOP. "The Republican Party is more than Trump!" some people say, with annoyance. Oh? Not by the evidence.
she’s a conservative in the bush/cheney neocon tradition. they have become less popular.

you can’t say everyone in the gop is either a cheney backer or a trumplican.

i like trump’s policies for the most part, i am disgusted by his personal behavior. that’s where much of the gop is right now. we want someone who will govern much like trump did ( again, whether you like it or not, his policies worked and were popular), without the loathsome behavior.

We want Trump without the spoiled brat 8 year old. that looks a lot
like Desantis to me. It also looks a lot like Desantis to many on the left, which is why they are terrified of him.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #60
scottw

Quote:

she’s a conservative in the bush/cheney neocon tradition. they have become less popular.

leftists hated bush/cheney but they suddenly love Liz...funny how that works