Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
striperman36
Old Guy

Man towed by Marlin

Kayak Angler Towed 11 Miles by Blue Marlin : The Fishing Wire

great, if you are on Stellwagen check for yaks...
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I watched a show recently on WFN that had guys catching these on yaks. One of the guys fought one for like 10 hours and then it broke off! They were saying he got pulled for 10+ miles but then at the end of the show they are all on a big boat getting a ride back! I know it's a big deal catching these of a yak but these guys aren't paddling back to shore after the catch. Makes it a little less impressive for me. Just my two cents!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
FishermanTim

Only slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY) more impressive than a "farm hunt".
If you aren't going to paddle out to the fish, don't bring a kayak.
Maybe they can bring the kayak to Seaworld and try it there?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
woodghost
rippen lips

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Mothership trips are awesome!
I have taken several in mexico and they are a blast!
15 friends loaded on a mothership, which brings fresh food, bait and drinks. granted its easier than paddling out 25-30 miles but it gets you to places most could never paddle to.
Isn't it the same thing as taking a ferry or boat to the islands to fish?
What about staying in a hotel on a fishing trip?
What about driving to newport or the canal, after all think of the sense of accomplishment you will feel after walking there!
woodghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
FishermanTim

That's not quite the same as having a larger boat carry a kayak out to where the fish are, so that you only spend less than a minute paddling to the fish.
Your canal analogy would work if I drove to NH to go hiking when there are plenty of hiking trails very close to home.
I'm sure that it's a thrill, but if you are going out to catch a marlin, swordfish or tuna 30-50 miles from shore, doing so from a kayak is only going to decrease the odds of the fish surviving the stress of the fight.
I'm sorry, but for me the act of kayaking entails a long trip powered by the paddle, and an equally long return trip. If you are taking a boat in order to use the kayak for big game fishing, that seems like an "extreme sport" approach to a simpler excursion.
(OK, maybe I just need a cup of coffee.)

In any case, I'm sure the thrill of going for a "Nantucket sleigh ride" can't be beat.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

yeah I tend to agree that it's bogus and not "real" kayak fishing. Still, I can't discount the skill it must take to land a fish like that from a yak.

I've also heard that mothershipping for Tuna is now illegal. Which is why that dude on the Cape that caught that Tuna after PADDLING out is so damn impressive.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote