Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
buckman

Jobs to be saved, found!

Well it appears the jobs to be saved will mostly be state, city and federal employees. I'm willing to bet the jobs created will also be there. Nothing like a couple million hack jobs created on the backs of our children to set the economy straight.

Here's a link to what the state will do with the funds:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ut_still_wary/
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
JohnnyD

The US government is the #1 employer in the world.

The real shame is that my roommate and 30+ other teachers in town are about to be laid off at the end of the year in Mansfield. Many people moved to Mansfield because it used to be known as a stellar town for education. Soon, with the huge funding cuts, laid of teachers and decreased programs, Mansfield will be just as average as anywhere else.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Raven

NO worries Johnny

i'll always think of you as being a STELLAR kind of guy
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Im one of those people that moved to Mansfield because of the schools. maybe we should have saved the $ instead of redoing all of those baseball fields?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Im one of those people that moved to Mansfield because of the schools. maybe we should have saved the $ instead of redoing all of those baseball fields?
Ffs RIJIMMY, you're here too? Seems like half this board is from Mansfield.

Don't worry though, Mansfield Crossing is going to bring in over $1M profit to the town. I have a lot of friends involved with the town and what they left out in that number, are the 5-6 firefighters they hired, a handful of additional cops and the extra strain on the town utilities.

I assume you've driven under the RR Bridge on 106. Rumor has it that with the budget cuts, they don't have enough people to complete that and a handful of other jobs as initially scheduled.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Let's also not forget the $1 million football practice field they put in a couple years ago. On top of it, the timer for those big HID lights for on the new practice field was broken for about 4 months and they were on 24 hours/day. Can only imagine the cost of leaving 50 1000W lights on for that long equated to.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Also the brilliant sign in SOuth Common with the distances to all of Mansfields sister citys. Thats useful.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Let's also not forget the $1 million football practice field they put in a couple years ago. On top of it, the timer for those big HID lights for on the new practice field was broken for about 4 months and they were on 24 hours/day. Can only imagine the cost of leaving 50 1000W lights on for that long equated to.
Those lights have been on since the fields were built. A total watse of $$ and I have complained several times.

Don't believe the hype about laying off teachers. It's happens every year and I have been here 25 years. Maybe one more override will do it. lol

Nothing but the best for the town. Best trucks, best town hall, best water dept. garage. best everything.

And don't forget millions wasted on lawyers to defend the town manager.

Still.....I love this town
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Also the brilliant sign in SOuth Common with the distances to all of Mansfields sister citys. Thats useful.
Donated, so was the sign at the schools and the clock in the center
Old 02-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:

The real shame is that my roommate and 30+ other teachers in town are about to be laid off at the end of the year in Mansfield. Many people moved to Mansfield because it used to be known as a stellar town for education. Soon, with the huge funding cuts, laid of teachers and decreased programs, Mansfield will be just as average as anywhere else.
Good news is all the towns are in the same boat so we should still be ahead of them.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:

Have him apply at St. Mary's we always seem to have some openings every fall
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Don't believe the hype about laying off teachers. It's happens every year and I have been here 25 years. Maybe one more override will do it. lol
It's already been confirmed that he's losing his job. The school administration had a meeting either today or yesterday about what jobs are going to be cut.

I can't wait D'Agostino to be gone, btw.

Quote:
Still.....I love this town
Same here.

buckman, you're quite in the know with town going ons... Do you know about the High School Percussion Ensemble winning a national championship last year and the year before? If so, my friend(who's getting laid off) and I are the ones who instructed the group.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Have him apply at St. Mary's we always seem to have some openings every fall
He wants either a town job teaching high school, or he's thinking about changing careers completely. But I will pass the word. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Xaviern, Bishop Feehan, Bishop Connelly
Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Xaviern, Bishop Feehan, Bishop Connelly
I asked him about those... he and I have both taught the marching band at Feehan. He just doesn't want to teach in the private education sector.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
buckman, you're quite in the know with town going ons... Do you know about the High School Percussion Ensemble winning a national championship last year and the year before? If so, my friend(who's getting laid off) and I are the ones who instructed the group.

Yes I do and congrats to both of you. There's a great group of students at the high school because the town has a great group of very involved parents. My son was involved at the middle school level with another great teacher . John Ford.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
buckman

Quote:
I asked him about those... he and I have both taught the marching band at Feehan. He just doesn't want to teach in the private education sector.
Believe it or not. I was in the marching band at Feehan
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Yes I do and congrats to both of you. There's a great group of students at the high school because the town has a great group of very involved parents. My son was involved at the middle school level with another great teacher . John Ford.
I only know John Ford from when he was teaching in the elementary school. He was an incredible source in inspiration to the kids and they always had fun and enjoyed what they were doing.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #19
buckman

Quote:
I only know John Ford from when he was teaching in the elementary school. He was an incredible source in inspiration to the kids and they always had fun and enjoyed what they were doing.
Your right, it was the elementary school. I'm getting old
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #20
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=JohnnyD;666377]Ffs RIJIMMY, you're here too? Seems like half this board is from Mansfield.

Don't worry though, Mansfield Crossing is going to bring in over $1M profit to the town. I have a lot of friends involved with the town and what they left out in that number, are the 5-6 firefighters they hired, a handful of additional cops and the extra strain on the town utilities.

Good luck with that thinking about Mansfield Crossing !
I've been in Wrentham 20 years.
When I moved here it was a nice quiet town .
The POS selectmen, town employees, police & fire depts ect... forced the outlet malls on us , even though most all residents in the town wanted nothing to do with the mall in our town.
The %$%$%$%$ing malls really improved the quality of life in the town with all the traffic, car break ins, shop lifting, house break ins ect...

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Good luck with that thinking about Mansfield Crossing !
I've been in Wrentham 20 years.
When I moved here it was a nice quiet town .
The POS selectmen, town employees, police & fire depts ect... forced the outlet malls on us , even though most all residents in the town wanted nothing to do with the mall in our town.
The %$%$%$%$ing malls really improved the quality of life in the town with all the traffic, car break ins, shop lifting, house break ins ect...
Absolutely. I was being more than sarcastic. Mansfield is headed on that same route. Has been ever since they put in a complex of "Affordable Housing" (read: 90% section 8) called the Depot.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
striperman36
Old Guy

On West St?
Not the complex across 140 from the SS mall?

Sales have been way down at Mansfield Crossing, a certain outdoor clothier has numbers about 40 pct of last year. Fortunately, Tax revenues are tied to sales

They are building across the street from Fridays, they could build out a good portion of the industrial park between Mansfield Crossing and Home Depot with retail. You'd never know unless you lived in West Mansfield and wanted to get out to 140.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
They're not dependent on tax revenue funding.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Remember they put down the turf because the field was being used too much to maintain sod.
The upper fields and the field over by 106 are all clay those things are wet 90 pct of the time.

Why couldn't they just turn the damn things off manually thats municpal thinking to leave them on
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #25
buckman

Quote:
Why couldn't they just turn the damn things off manually thats municpal thinking to leave them on
I think they just hired someone to do that. lol
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #26
Raven

Buckman

that AVATAR should have a cannabis Leaf on his t-shirt...

Since he's openly admitted to Smoking as a youngster.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #27
fishbones

Quote:
On West St?
Not the complex across 140 from the SS mall?

Sales have been way down at Mansfield Crossing, a certain outdoor clothier has numbers about 40 pct of last year. Fortunately, Tax revenues are tied to sales

They are building across the street from Fridays, they could build out a good portion of the industrial park between Mansfield Crossing and Home Depot with retail. You'd never know unless you lived in West Mansfield and wanted to get out to 140.
What is it they're building across from Friday's? My son's preschool is on school st., so I drive by that site a couple of times a week, and can't figure it out. I can't understand why they'd be building when they've already had one anchor store at the Crossing go out of business. On top of that, I heard the Home Depot in mansfield will be closing this year, too. I just hope Benny's stays open.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #28
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
On top of that, I heard the Home Depot in mansfield will be closing this year, too. I just hope Benny's stays open.
NS, where did you hear that? I'll have to drive to Lowe's in Attleboro?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #29
Raven

or you could drive to Franklin to Homies

i'd wager the traffic would be easier
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #30
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

All in all Mansfield still is and will continue to be a safe place to raise kids. I am happy here.

Make America Great Again.