Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
spence

The Great Schlep

http://www.thegreatschlep.com/site/index.html

This is really, really funny...some mild language so beware.

-spence
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

The Great Schlep aims to have Jewish grandchildren visit their grandparents in Florida, educate them about Obama, and therefore swing the crucial Florida vote in his favor.

I can see flocks of Schleppers coming into WPL and FLL in droves.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Track Suits

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Too funny.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
fishsmith
DDG-51

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

I'm a shi&stain, but that was funny.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Yes, it was funny..

Here is Jackie Mason's response, not as funny but a tick more of an honest broker in that there is no Schlepping to twist anyone's arm:

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Wow.
He's even more rambling and incoherent than McCain at times....

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Wow.
He's even more rambling and incoherent than McCain at times....

Hehehe - he's always been that rambling though a little less Aloof than Obama

The point was, go out and vote for your conscious, not for someone that your grandkids told you to vote for.

I'm going to drift a little off topic for a moment before coming back on topic.
Last spring, my son, now in second grade, kept coming home from school with his teachers telling him to convince his parents that voting for Obama was the way, that Obama would be the next great president. He couldn't name any other candidates running (this is understandable - he was in first grade). He was shocked and surprised when when I said I was probably not voting for Obama. He then asked why I would not vote for the first Black President. I don't think he meant that in a racial tone as he does not understand a racial tone. We do not raise him to have a racial tone.
I had to explain to him that you don't vote for a president because he can be the first Black President, or he can be the first this or the first that. IMO, you vote for someone because they are the most qualified and that someone is the best choice for President.
I am not convinced that Obama can be the best choice for President, now. I feel he possibly could be a good candidate with another decade under his belt and with a better understanding.

So before I get relegated into a whacko-right as I have been called in the past I am an independent, which in RI is unaafiliated. I vote Dem & Rep. I voted for Bush Senior, Clinton, wrote in McCain once, and never voted for W.

I also think that McCain would have been best 8 years ago and that we would not be in the stink we're in now with W & Cheney et al had McCain won the last time around in 2000.

I'd rather see Biden president -v- Obama because I think Biden is more qualified.

So coming full circle, the point I was trying to pass along to my son was that what I am going to do and what I encourage him to do when he is old enough, is to independently make up one's mind to vote for the person they will feel will be the best President for America. Do not bend to the flocks & masses that pull a lever along a party line. Do not vote for a candidate because a particular interest or group asks you to, vote for who YOU think is the best person for the job AFTER you research the candidates.

At this time, I do not feel that Obama is that person, he may be with a lot more seasoning first, and for a chance to see his record - a real record - after more maturation.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I also think that McCain would have been best 8 years ago and that 1 we would not be in the stink we're in now with W & Cheney et al had McCain won the last time around in 2000.

I'd rather see Biden president -v- Obama because I think Biden is more qualified.
Three things:
1. I agree; in 2000 I voted Gore, but wasn't nearly as fearful of McCain as I am now. It is not the same McCain in 2008 as it was in 2000. The 2008 ticket of McCain/Palin scares me. Flat out. We'll be out of Iraq and into Iran, with the economy still in the tank. before the end of their first term if they win.

2. My original order of the dems (I couldnt tolerate any of the right candidates) (See RIJ; I'm not a dem sheep, but I do support BHO now)
1. Richardson
2. Biden
3. Obama
4. Hill

I think Obama will be a good leader, I have grown to like him, but I agree as far as experience, he was not my #1 choice. I do think he is smart enough to have good people behind him

3. very good point, and it makes me sad that people from either side are swayed by either Sarah Silverman or Jackie Mason... or Drill baby Drill, or change.

It comes down to research, conscience and intuition. Hopefully we end up making the correct decision, whatever that is.

Bryan

Old 10-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
JohnR

Brian, I agree it isn't the same McCain now. The thing is (sadly but maybe thankfully) is that whether Obama or McCain goes in now, we will have elections in 4 years. At least with McCain we get another chance in 4 years. With Obama, we could have that for 8.

I don't see McCain going into Iran with boots. McCain or Obama *may* have to go into Iran with other than ground forces if they get Nukes. That ship has sailed (unless W does something else dumb) but the focus will move from Iraq to AFG.

I don't have ANY confidence in Obama being able to work to solving the 800 pound elephant in the room - Pakistan. Obama's addresses on how he will handle Pakistan have been flat out wrong.

We MUST get the local populace of Pakistan, specifically the people in the FATA, to come around. That is the where the focus must be. Attacking into Pakistan isn't going to help. What was never mentioned is that any appreciable supplies to all NATO forces - meaning ANYTHING that can't be loaded on an aircraft (not that we have the airlift capacity) now go through Pakistan to get to AFG. Doing more to destabilize an already destabilized area would be disastrous.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Nebe

We all have to remember that the prez is only the talking head. The main reason that I favor regime change in DC is that not only will the head be cut off, but with the coming of a new party we can expect a flushing of the toilet bowl in many many offices.

They should just change the name president to scapegoat. Bush is too stupid to see everything that everyone is doing to screw things up..
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
fishbones

I'm so disappointed in my girl Sarah. I love her show on Comedy Central and her live shows are even better. This video just shows how ignorant people can be when it comes to who they think is the best candidate. She never gave a real reason to vote for Obama. The video is basically saying "Obama is great and McCain sucks. If you don't vote for Obama, you're stupid and don't deserve to have visits from your family." Nothing like guilting people into voting for your candidate. I can't wait to send this to my half Jewish ultra conservative brother in law. He'll hit the roof.

* Even though I don't agree with her message, I did laugh at the comparison between Jewish grandparents and black people.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
JohnR

My philosophy right now is more to have not one single party have the keys to the Executive and Legislative branches. When the Pubs have all the keys, bad things, when the Dems have all the keys, bad things...

Who can truly be the Unifier of America? get the partys on the same page? That's really what we need - to stop bickering talking points along party lines and unite as a country in favor of the country, behind the Constitution an what our founding fathers intended.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
Nebe

ron paul
Old 10-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
spence

God you people are funny. She's a comedian for christmas sake!

-spence
Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Three things:
it makes me sad that people from either side are swayed by either Sarah Silverman or Jackie Mason... or Drill baby Drill, or change.
Spence.
amen.
but the thing that is scary, is that this will sway some people!

Bryan

Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
God you people are funny. She's a comedian for christmas sake!

-spence
So is the video and the website just a joke? They way she was reading off the cue cards it seemed that they have some real points to make and they really want people to vote for Obama. Even though she's a comedian, she still has opinions and she has a way of getting her message to the public.

If you want comics doing politics, the SNL "presidential debate" last night was much funnier.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
My philosophy right now is more to have not one single party have the keys to the Executive and Legislative branches. When the Pubs have all the keys, bad things, when the Dems have all the keys, bad things...

Who can truly be the Unifier of America? get the partys on the same page? That's really what we need - to stop bickering talking points along party lines and unite as a country in favor of the country, behind the Constitution an what our founding fathers intended.
I agree but unfortunately when there are 2 sets of keys, If one person knows there's something good behind the door they want to be the one that opens it and if theres something bad behind the door they want the other ones to open.....but while they are busy fighting, the door never gets open

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."