Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Race relations post Obama

Have you noticed any more tension/attitudes of some not all non Caucasians towards Caucasians. I have noticed what seems like at times intentional provocation from non Caucasians since Obama got in. for example: noticing you coming with your cart in store and moving their cart to block the way and ignoring you to perhaps see if you'll react. I have a feeling after seeing Obama get in and then add the beer summit with the whole Gates issue and how it was handled has either made non-Caucasians angry with whitie or feel they can treat us with no respect. Almost has if they want you to react and then verbally or perhaps physically assault you and start screaming you started it and are a racist. It's has if they have had enough of whitie and want us to disapeer which to me screams of people who want to segregated ironicly. It seems as though the more that is done for them the more they dislike us (once again not all). Is it just me?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
spence

Ok, fess up. What are you so guilty about?

-spence
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
JohnnyD

I noticed that I clicked on that "I hate crackers" thread of yours hoping to bitch about the white man.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I noticed that I clicked on that "I hate crackers" thread of yours hoping to bitch about the white man.
I thought it was going to be about Richard Pryor.

Word Association from NiNo - Video

Note: contains a bad word if you're around kids.

-spence
Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Cracker thread was just my having fun and yet also wondering how many people would view it because of the inflammatory title, I didn't really learn anything but for that matter I wasn't sure what I'd learn.

I am the kind of guy that gives everyone respect and lets them earn my disrespect. And when it comes to non Caucasians I actually go out of my way to hold the door, assist them and almost anything to try and show them I welcome them in fact I am probably nicer to them than I am the Caucasians knowing in the back of my mind if they are the racist they are probably more angry that I was so nice and they couldn't find a reason to hate me (kind of reverse psychology).
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Have you noticed any more tension/attitudes of some not all non Caucasians towards Caucasians. I have noticed what seems like at times intentional provocation from non Caucasians since Obama got in. for example: noticing you coming with your cart in store and moving their cart to block the way and ignoring you to perhaps see if you'll react.

It takes courage to be honest about feelings on race. That said, I haven't noticed any more of that type of behavior post-Obama than pre-Obama--perhaps less, maybe, if at all. I have noticed, here in Detroit, which is truly a black city, a more optimistic attitude in the blacks that I know. There seems to have been a psychological oppression lifted from their spirit. I fear a bit for their spirit if Obama crashes and burns. There is a lot of black psyche invested in his success. There is also a bit more realization that they may be responsible for the failure of this city. The spin-off from pride in success, if they wish to make that success totally their own, is that they must own and be responsible for their own failures. It is a good thing for their "self esteem" but they must not get too high lest the crash of failure might be a bitter pill.

I have a feeling after seeing Obama get in and then add the beer summit with the whole Gates issue and how it was handled has either made non-Caucasians angry with whitie or feel they can treat us with no respect. Almost has if they want you to react and then verbally or perhaps physically assault you and start screaming you started it and are a racist. It's has if they have had enough of whitie and want us to disapeer which to me screams of people who want to segregated ironicly.

Again, that sounds like pre-Obama behavior. The first requisite for intrinsic respect toward others is self respect. When that is lacking, not only will there be no respect for others, but there will be hate. Some would say unconscious self-hate breeds outward hate. That's not to say that the Obama phenomenon has wiped out all the hate and changed stereotypical black outlook into a pollyanna-fest. But it's, as O might say, a step in the right direction.

It seems as though the more that is done for them the more they dislike us (once again not all). Is it just me?
The little secret that we, in our liberal mode, don't acknowledge, is that doing for others makes us feel better, in terms of self-esteem, then those who receive our "help." And "the more that is done for them" the lower their self-esteem and "the more they dislike us".

Last edited by detbuch; 07-12-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
I am the kind of guy that gives everyone respect and lets them earn my disrespect. And when it comes to non Caucasians I actually go out of my way to hold the door, assist them and almost anything to try and show them I welcome them in fact I am probably nicer to them than I am the Caucasians knowing in the back of my mind if they are the racist they are probably more angry that I was so nice and they couldn't find a reason to hate me (kind of reverse psychology).
Actually, the greatest respect you can give someone is to treat them as an equal--that is, to transfer the respect you have for yourself to the other person. That engenders a like response from the other person back to you. If you show too much, make too much of a point of going out of your way to assist someone, that can signal your superiority in the matter and create resentment against you. That has been one of the subtly negative results of white societies "aid" to the black community. Between the cruel treatement of white racists and the over-coddling of the well meaning but guilt-ridden whites, there are few treat-me-as-an-equal whites for blacks to truly respect.

Last edited by detbuch; 07-12-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
Raven

you have to wonder why.....

they call the oil dilema down south a war
they call shooting @ taliban a war

they call bustin kids for weed a war

and why we are not blowing up mexican ice labs
in mexico that are cranking out 250 tons of meth
for the united states each year and why..........

it is not a much more serious war.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have noticed what seems like at times intentional provocation from non Caucasians since Obama got in.
If you are referring to the Fat Chick at the 7-11, you, technically, provoked her....not that she didn't have it coming. I do the same thing when I see it...give the dirty look and point to the sign.

I don't think Race had anything to do with it......you would have gotten the same reaction from a Pork-rind eatin, rebel flag waving, 300 lb white chick in Alabama if she had parked her General Lee knock-off in the same space and you did the same thing.

She was just a Biatch...nothing more, nothing less

99.99% of the time most things that happen aren't racially motivated......but if you are looking for it to be, who's got the issue.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
scottw

what exactly is a "non-causasians" ? ...I'm noticing fewer "caucasians" now that it's summer...try simply noticing whether or not someone is smiling...for get all of the other stuff, if they are smiling, return the smile, if they aren't... smile anyway and hope they have a good day, manners are certainly lacking in public but returning bad behavior is not productive, provocative behavior is just that, taking the issue away is the best way to deal with it, keeping count of the racial make up of people that cross your path is probably not productive...I think people in general are caught up in what they are doing in their own little bubble and pretty unaware or what is going on around them, whether texting or talking loudly on their phones in public places .....more concerned with their most recent messages than their kid slamming his mini shopping cart into the ankles of some other shopper
Politically, there is a lot of mileage to be gained by Obama and his ilk in firing up the various constituency groups on the basis of race...this will get very ugly because Obama and his team are most talented at exactly this...Michelle got the ball rolling yesterday...personally I think most Americans are or will become very tired of this constant attempt to run the race card up our butts an every issue.....

Last edited by scottw; 07-13-2010 at 12:37 PM..
Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

personally I think most Americans are or will become very tired of this constant attempt to run the race card up our butts an every issue.....

- I agree. Its getting old. The attempts by the media to highlight race with the Tea Party or any anti-Obama sentiment is tiresome. I think most people see through it. One incredibly positive aspect of the Obama presidency is that I never hear of Sharpton and Jackson. I wonder how they are making a living now that they cant pimp off race issues?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

and away we go..........

NAACP to condemn 'racism' of the Tea Parties
Posted: July 12th, 2010 02:31 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Shannon Travis

The NAACP will offer its members a resolution condemning the Tea Party for what it calls rampant racism.
Washington (CNN) – On Tuesday the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People will offer a resolution to its members condemning what it believes to be rampant racism in the Tea Party movement.

The resolution could pass on Tuesday or later this week as the nation's oldest civil rights organization holds its 101st convention in Kansas City over six days.

NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Jealous talked to CNN about the controversial, loose-knit groups that espouse a commitment to the Constitution.

"The Tea Party movement knows that there are tens of thousands of dedicated racists and ultra nationalists in their ranks," Jealous said. Those groups "must be repudiated by the regular, law-abiding members or they must take responsibility," Jealous added, saying "they can't have it both ways."

In addition to urging people to repudiate those "racist" elements among Tea Partiers, the resolution also says that elements of the conservative movement are driving to push the nation back to the pre-civil rights era. The story about the resolution was first reported Monday in the Kansas City Star.

Other claims from the NAACP: Tea Party activists have engaged in racist behavior, for example, by waving signs that degrade African-Americans and President Obama, in particular (hence anyone against Obama is against black people); members of the movement have verbally and physically abused black members of Congress and other elected officials; and a number of Tea Party activists think that issues of importance to African-Americans get too much attention (poll everyone in America, most would agree).
The Tea Party Express, a national Tea Party organization, is angry about the resolution.

"This is indeed the kettle calling the pot black," Mark Williams, national spokesman of the conservative grassroots group, told CNN.

"We're fighting the government programs that have emasculated the black family," Williams said.

He added: "It's the Obama administration that rolled back civil rights to a pre-civil rights era with 'Obamacare' in which they removed the concept of individual rights…it's the Obama administration that put a tax on white people with a tanning salon tax. I mean, this is the kind of stuff the Tea Party movement is fighting. We are fighting for the Constitution of this country, which, by definition, makes this a human rights movement – a civil rights movement."

"It's the 21st century and their rights as humans are absolutely at risk here. And the threat doesn't come from those people who love the Constitution. It comes from those people in power in Washington right now," Williams said.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
fishbones

In general, people of all races are becoming more rude and disrespectful of others. And it's not a real new thing. It's been going on for years. As I've gotten older, I see less manners, less holding open of doors, less "thanks" when something nice is done for another person, etc... I don't know if it's because people are raised to be A-holes now or if parents just don't have the time to teach their kids manners and how do be a decent human being. Or maybe it's what they see on tv as being ok or the fact that there's so much less face to face contact with other people because of cell phones and computers. What I do see more and more now are people (both young and older) that have no respect for others and feel like they can walk around angry like the world owes them something.

It doesn't stop me from trying to be nice to most people, but it does make me realize that there are a lot of sucky people out there.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Actually, the greatest respect you can give someone is to treat them as an equal--that is, to transfer the respect you have for yourself to the other person. That engenders a like response from the other person back to you. If you show too much, make too much of a point of going out of your way to assist someone, that can signal your superiority in the matter and create resentment against you.
Very well said.

Quote:
That has been one of the subtly negative results of white societies "aid" to the black community. Between the cruel treatement of white racists and the over-coddling of the well meaning but guilt-ridden whites, there are few treat-me-as-an-equal whites for blacks to truly respect.
I think the reality is that white and black people in many ways often have a very different perspective on life in America. I would guess the majority of white people, while not indifferent to race, for the most part don't let it influence their decisions in any meaningful way. Certainly some do on either extreme as you have noted.

-spence
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Very well said???? Are you kidding me? Thats the premise of 99% of the so called "conservatives" on here and you NEVER agree! The libs have and want to create an environment that gives and gives. We want one that people earn and earn.....which develops self respect and pride! Taking develops NOTHING!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Bronko

What a pack of race hustlers these buffoons are. Even Al Qaeda aren't safe!!!

President Obama, White House: Al Qaeda Is Racist - Political Punch

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan