Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
MotoXcowboy

Aquariums

heres mine, 55 gal, only one convict..this guy has killed every single fish i've tried to put in there..

after he is dies I might turn this into a big eel tank or a SW reef tank

anybody have fish/eels at home? i have to fix my old 10gal eel tank..leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FT55sm.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	16744   Click image for larger version

Name:	FTsm.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	16745  

Last edited by MotoXcowboy; 08-15-2006 at 08:50 PM..
MotoXcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Saltwater tanks look great, but a pita to take care of. Not to mention the fish run about $40+ each
I had a 55gal salt, loved it, just hated keeping it up..The salt builds up everywhere, but you can buy so many cool fish and coral it kinda outwieghs the work...Go for it!

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
teaser
Wave Jumper

I have a 110 gallon salt water tank, not too bad to take care of once it cycles. I don't even buy the salt to mix up anymore, I just go to the dock at night and take some good old sea water and dump it in the tank. I have 3 Spotted Pufferfish, 1 Goatshead, and about 30 Peanuts (peanut bunker). I usually have Gobies, baby Sea Robins, baby Fluke, had a baby Striper but it was eating everything in the tank so he had to go back home. The best thing about my setup now is that it doesn't cost me anything for fish, I just catch my own and in the tank they go. If you gotta have a tank ... go salt! It is messy though at times with the salt build up but that cleans right up.

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
I'd LOVE to set up at 100+ gallon sw tank.
Lotta work though for the startup.

Def hunt down a baby lobster and toss him in.
And name him "Pinchy"

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
teaser
Wave Jumper

Likwid, not that much to do for start up. just get crushed coral 2-3" for the bottom. Get a decent pump - I use a Fluval 300, add uplift tubes, rocks, heater, fill with sea water, toss in about 10 mumpers to cycle the tank and after 6-8 weeks ... you're done! Get the fish you like and they're happy campers in the tank. After the water level goes down about 5 gallons just get some more sea water and toss it in, after the tank cycles it takes alot to kill it. If you do start a tank for fish, don't try anything under 50 gallons because you'll be limited on how many fish you can put in there. Go for it! My new grand daughter just loves mine, it's the best babysitter in the world.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Island Girl

Oh hell no...... There will be no more eels......... I am sorry but um I don't think I can deal w/ ("I think the eel got out of the tank it's somewhere in the house") Yeah that's a little too nasty and disturbing for me....... hahaha nice try but um absolutly not! You can bring SW fish in all you want but NO EELS That's all I have to say on the matter...........!
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Likwid, not that much to do for start up. just get crushed coral 2-3" for the bottom. Get a decent pump - I use a Fluval 300, add uplift tubes, rocks, heater, fill with sea water, toss in about 10 mumpers to cycle the tank and after 6-8 weeks ... you're done! Get the fish you like and they're happy campers in the tank. After the water level goes down about 5 gallons just get some more sea water and toss it in, after the tank cycles it takes alot to kill it. If you do start a tank for fish, don't try anything under 50 gallons because you'll be limited on how many fish you can put in there. Go for it! My new grand daughter just loves mine, it's the best babysitter in the world.
Thanks for the advice, I've always heard to go BIG on saltwater tanks as not only can you keep a good number of fish but you don't get any rapid salinity/temp changes that aren't manageable.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
LT. DAN 2

Since the Peanut Bunkers are filter feeders, what do you put in the tank for them to feed on? I have a 55 gallon salt water and replace 5 gallons every 10 days...from the canal waters..
LT. DAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
Team Rock On

salt

"After the water level goes down about 5 gallons just get some more sea water and toss it in"

You need to replace evaporated water with fresh water. The salt doesn't evaporate.
Team Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #10
LT. DAN 2

I will usually take 5 gallons out and add 5 new with about a cup of well water (no chemicals) to allow for evaporation and rainfall.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
danno1

Don`t you have trouble keeping the tank cold ? Even with "air" in the house, the tank temps are warmer than in the house, because of the motor and lights.

Mako 22ft
200 Evinrude
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Oh hell no...... There will be no more eels......... I am sorry but um I don't think I can deal w/ ("I think the eel got out of the tank it's somewhere in the house") Yeah that's a little too nasty and disturbing for me....... hahaha nice try but um absolutly not! You can bring SW fish in all you want but NO EELS That's all I have to say on the matter...........!
LOL!!!!
I have had eels escape in my house, in my car, and in my boat. Earlier this year, my dog knocked over my eel bucket and started eating them. I came out and she was grining with half a bloddy eel writhing in her mouth. Boy did she stink.... I took a lot of sh1t for that one.

BUT.... when you realize the money you can save by not throwing eels out at the end of the night, or even better, catching your own, you will see the light, Island Girl....

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
MotoXcowboy

those sw setups you guys have sound cool. i didnt know it was that easy. everyone ive talked to made sw setups sound like hell. how do you add seawater in the winter? that must take a while to heat.. ive got to research more on the sw setups. ive got time..i wonder how long this convict will live.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #14
teaser
Wave Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. DAN 2
Since the Peanut Bunkers are filter feeders, what do you put in the tank for them to feed on? I have a 55 gallon salt water and replace 5 gallons every 10 days...from the canal waters..

I feed the whole tank with prepared fish food cubes from the pet store.
I them shrimp, algae, and zoo plankton squares ( one of each) every other day.
Cheap and easy! I replace some water about every 2-3 months.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
teaser
Wave Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rock On
"After the water level goes down about 5 gallons just get some more sea water and toss it in"

You need to replace evaporated water with fresh water. The salt doesn't evaporate.

The amount of salt you lose with the water evaporation is just about equal in ppm (parts per million) so there really is no need to add fresh water, been working for me like this for over 15 years with no problem.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
teaser
Wave Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1
Don`t you have trouble keeping the tank cold ? Even with "air" in the house, the tank temps are warmer than in the house, because of the motor and lights.

I only use lights at night or when company "must see" the tank, but I do occasionally leave a light on while it's a dark day outside. I only light the attinic light on those occasions though ...no white lights. The pump I use stores under the fish tanks stand inside the cabinet so there is no heat problem from that, I used to use a trickle filter but they were just too distractiong on those "quiet" nights.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
teaser
Wave Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXcowboy
those sw setups you guys have sound cool. i didnt know it was that easy. everyone ive talked to made sw setups sound like hell. how do you add seawater in the winter? that must take a while to heat.. ive got to research more on the sw setups. ive got time..i wonder how long this convict will live.

Convicts can and do live up to 10 years if the proper care is given to them, but they average about 5 in most cases.
I usually go down to the water and get 5 gallons in a bucket and let it sit at room temp for about 2 hours, but I do put an airstone in the bucket to keep the sealife alive and kicking so I don't poison the tank.
Go for it with the saltwater setup, you'll be amazed at the difference.I started with tropical fish, had every species I could get my hands on ...cheap money compared to saltwater fish ... after a few years I got bored with tropical and switched. My 55 became salt, haven't regretted it since.
I did regret doing a reef tank once though, way toooooooo much work, lost $3,000.00 worth of fish putting in a bad piece of live rock right from Florida, turns out the shipment came in that day dead and the dealer didn't know and I bought $300.00 worth of dead rock and poisoned my tank. That did it for me ...fish only!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #18
MotoXcowboy

wow thats crazy teaser.. $3,000 of fish holy ....! Okay, So I am assuming the saltwater we have here (New England) will support other saltwater species (not common to our water) Say like clowns ect.

In the meantime I am looking to add rocks to my FW tank. Im wondering if anyone can give me good advice about finding my own. I heard you supposed to find hard rocks like slate, granite, ect..river rocks? boil them and test the PH levels. I really dont wanna buy rocks from the LFS, the closest locals are petsmart and petco and they dont have real rocks anyway. I've got to get rid of the kiddie set-up ive got goin on here...

Going to put pool filter sand in my tank this week...It can go right over the gravel right? or should I get the egg crate stuff? sorry tons of questions.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #19
teaser
Wave Jumper

Motox,

The saltwater here will definately support any saltwater fish from anywhere. You just have to check the salinity level and balance it out at what you want ppm (parts per million).

As far as FW rocks go just pick out some rocks that you want to use, put them one at a time in a clean 5 gal. bucket filled with H20 and then check the Ph levels on them, if it doesn't go up then you're safe. Rule of thought though ... NO rocks that contain iron.

When you say your putting pool sand in your tank where are you putting the sand? If you are putting the sand over the gravel what type of filter system are you using now? If you have uplift tubes then forget about the sand because it'll block the undergravel filter.

The only way to do it with sand is lose the undergravel filter if in fact is what you are using now, if you are using a filter that hangs off the side of the tank then that's fine as long as the intake tube doesn't hang down to the sand, and once a week stir the sand up to get the undigested food to go up in the filter.

If you have any more questions I'll try my best to help you out.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #20
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

MotoX -

Texas siclet (sp?)? or JD? I had the same prob. Then bought 3piranhas (sp?) in brisol, ri.,....had them for 10 freaking years...one day there was 2.....one day there was 1.....next day the "survivor" got bored and next day there were none....
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #21
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

Never mind....Convict...2nd or 3rd word in MX's post....got it......

The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #22
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

The freshwater tank with the convict in it.

Is too close to that window. Being that close to the window, you may see algae blooms starting down the road. Cant make it out from the picture, but if you have a little bit of that backdrop left over wrap it around that corner that faces out the window. It should cut down on some of the light/ algae blooms.

If you havent already, get yourself a plecostamus "pleco" to clean the tank for you. The convict shouldnt bother it.

If you plan on adding other aggressive cichlids two things to remember: 1. Rearrange the structures inside the tank just before you add the new fish. The established fish, your convict knows the lay of the land in the tank and its all his. Pretty much the whole thing is his, rearranging the tank when introducing the new fish, this will make the fish establish their own territories. Basically, if you add stuff without rearranging the tank, your convict thinks youre feeding him.... 2. Make sure the fish you are adding are roughly the same size, this will cut down on your convict picking on your new additions because they are smaller, unless you're introducing small, quick shoal fish.

If you want something fun to watch add like a half dozen "striped danios" if you can get the jumbos theyre better, they're short money and fun to watch, in a tank with aggressives. The aggressives will chase them but cant catch em They're pretty quick lil shoal or schooling fish.

Looks like a fun tank!! I raised fish for years if I can help with anything let me know.

If you like saltwater tanks, look at keeping African chichclids. They keep at a really high ph but they have all the vibrant colors of most salwater setups. My favorites are the labido Chromis.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #23
MotoXcowboy

Thanks for the info teaser. I was contemplating putting the pool or sandbox sand (homedepot) over the gravel, since I dont have a undergravel filter. Until I upgrade to a better pump, Im using the whisper HOB filter that came with the tank.

Still havent decided to go all out w/ african cichlids or make the saltwater switch. I wish I could have both! hah...but until then im just going to make this tank a little better and hopefully introduce a few more after its upgraded a bit. (more rock structure/hiding places)

Last edited by MotoXcowboy; 08-22-2006 at 03:52 PM..
Old 08-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #24
MotoXcowboy

Thanks vic,
You're right, I am starting to experience algae blooms. (since my pleco died, the convict killed him too) I usually leave the shade closed all day and open it at sunset (feeding time and leave it open till I wake up so the fish gets to see sunrise and sunset. So I should have no sunlight at all huh...? I'll cover that side with some extra background I have. thanks.

I plan on getting another pleco (bigger) soon, once i have more hiding places for it.

thanks for the two tips about adding fish. Re-arranging structure..good idea. I didnt know about that.

cool...i gotta check out these "striped danios" that sounds cool too.

thanks for the advice I'll post here if i have questions.

Last edited by MotoXcowboy; 08-22-2006 at 03:53 PM..
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #25
MotoXcowboy

alright, heres my only question before I set up the new substrate...

should I just put it over the old gravel?

I have also read about egg crates and found them yesterday at hommies.

I didnt get them yet because im not ready to jump into the switch yet.

The guy at homies said he had tanks too and he puts a cloth over the egg crate then put sand over that. is that right? I thought the sand went right into/and piled up ontop of the egg crate.

I also read if you go the egg crate route/switch you lose alot of the natural cycle..and should probably re-cycle the tank? is that right?

I would imagine stirring up the sand on top of a gravel base(to release the gasses) would be a pain in the ass and messy. I dont want the two mixing!

I like the clean sand look...I'm probably going to just take the old gravel out and go with the egg crate. I would be pissed if the ugly gravel started to mix with my new sand...

What advice can you guys give me about switching this ugly gravel out and putting in some nice sand.

Makeover step 2 is im going to get rid of all this store bought ornamental crap and put in some real rocks.

thanks in advance guys..
Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #26
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Pond rocks wash em and scrub em like taters, then boil them and let them sun dry. Then do the bucket of water ph thing...

Taking out that gravel, remember that there is bacteria starting to grow on there that is beneficial to your tank. Cant really speak much to sand as I always stayed with a thin layer or polished rocks. Easier to vaccum

One thing to remember with rocks, that I learned with my piranas. When they grow a lil bigger (14"&17"), they're going to move things around to how they like them. Make sure they're set pretty sturdy, or you'll start hearing the rocks slamming into the glass at odd hours...

If you want to see that convict grow quick feed him a weekly cycle of krill in a month

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

I like neon, cardinal, head and tail and glowlight tetras.
I've had an aquariums of various sizes (5 gal-90 gal.) since I was a little kid, love watching the fishies swim around.
I have a 10 gal set up now, undergravel filter..the works.
Pretty easy to care for.

Zebra danios look like little tiny stripers.

Put in zebras, blue tetras and lepord danios and you have what looks like, mini stripers, blues and squeteague

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #28
teaser
Wave Jumper

Motox,

Here's a picture of my tank before I put the fish in, I'll see if I have any of it now and if I do i'll post them later.

lose all the gravel if you're going to use the sand, can't say that I'm all that crazy about the egg crate idea though, heard some negatives on that that are scary.Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 261
Size:  703.9 KB

Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #29
MotoXcowboy

thx for the info guys..

teaser, nice tank
Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #30
LT. DAN 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I feed the whole tank with prepared fish food cubes from the pet store.
I them shrimp, algae, and zoo plankton squares ( one of each) every other day.
Cheap and easy! I replace some water about every 2-3 months.
Are these the frozen cubes I see in the cooler at the fish store? Who is the manufacturer/distributor....Do they come 30 cubes to a package? ($4.79/pack)
Lt Dan