Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

scotts step program.

when you guys throwing down scotts step 2??? i need to do some grub ex as well. is there an issue with throwing both down within a week or 2 of each other???
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Nope! Kill them buggers....
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Ace Hardware Stores

They had a deal where if you sign up for an Ace rewards card you get a $10.00 gift card, plus they had a rebate program on the Step 1,2,3, and 4. $25.00 store rebate plus $25.00 rebate from the company. Also an $8.00 a bag rbate through scotts for the grubex per bag. Max of three bags though, 10,000 sq. ft. bags size. I got mine in Hanson Ace Hardware. You cann put fert. down anytime, but grubeex should wait until dayytime temp is consistantly over 50 degrees, because the little bastards dont start heading to your roots until they are warm.. So anytime now on either will work. Dewey morning on the step 1 so it sticks to the weeds and kills them. Should put the grubex down just before it rains or water heavily just after putting it down.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I'm going to try and put Grub-ex down tomorrow because it's supposed to Rain tomorrow afternoon.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
missing link

All I can say is MILKY SPORE for GRUB control
it's an organizmmm that lives is your soil , you need a couple of apps but then it lives and multiples
GOOGLE IT
LINK
stop throwing your $$$$$$$$ away
the grubs stop NOWWWWWWWWWW

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post
it's an organizmmm that lives is your soil , you need a couple of apps but then it lives and multiples
GOOGLE IT
LINK
Link I put ther "spore" on my lawn. When I started it said it was good for twenty years. Two years, three times each, and supposedly your good to go for twenty years. Its organic as well. Well it doesn't frieking work. I had grubs the first year after I did the two year app. in a row. In rhe middle of the two year program I noticed the guarantee change to ten years. Spore cost a bundle too.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post
GOOGLE IT
LINK
We used it 35 years ago on the town Little Leauge field before laying
the sod and have never had a problem since.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Piscator

I've been doing Scotts for a few years (all steps with very good results). I ended up hiring a company to do it this year. They spray it on via liquid and it's cheaper overall than guying the Scotts. Cheaper, I don't have to drive to the store to buy it, I don't have to spread it, and it's guaranteed so if I have bad spots, I call and they come back and do it again for no charge.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
missing link

it didn't work for you Swimmer that's weird , yea it's a bit pricy, I meant buying Grub Control every year will add up.
Personaly I don't use anything on my lawn except wood ash from the stove and yes it looks like it, weeds crabgrass and by July if it's hot and dry I don't even have to cut it I just weed wack the tufts of grass that survive
Link

" Happy as a clam at high tide "
missing link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
basswipe

I use Agway's 4 step.Same as Scotts just cheaper.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
5/0
Eels

I added up all of last years applications I would put down lime,step 1,grub X,2,3 then 4 well it was close to $500 not to mention making time to do it.
Well I broke down and I'm trying Tru Green for 6 applications there gonna charge me $50 per trip and the first trip was $29 so the total should be $329 if I pay in full they'll take off $16 bucks.....

I have always enjoyed taking care of my lawn and having it look good i seemed that that past few years the weeds and grubs are taking residency so for once I'm putting my faith in someones else hands & I hope they are able to provide a good service.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
I added up all of last years applications I would put down lime,step 1,grub X,2,3 then 4 well it was close to $500 not to mention making time to do it.
Well I broke down and I'm trying Tru Green for 6 applications there gonna charge me $50 per trip and the first trip was $29 so the total should be $329 if I pay in full they'll take off $16 bucks.....

I have always enjoyed taking care of my lawn and having it look good i seemed that that past few years the weeds and grubs are taking residency so for once I'm putting my faith in someones else hands & I hope they are able to provide a good service.
come do my yard... Send me a pm on who you had do it. I hate my yard.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
HugeDinghy

too close to the water to put anything on my lawn...damn thing doesnt look right until late june because of it...

HugeDinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Guy next door had Tru-Green several years ago when they first came out with the stuff. They burnt his lawn so bad it didn't recover until the year. I know thats an anomaly, but it happened. I am proud of my lawn. It looks as good hard as my neighbors paid $4,000.00 for it to be reseeded and $7,000.00 for a well to be put in along with an irrigation system. I appreciate the hard work and money spent making lawns look nice. For all the money my neighbor spent , I reseeded and take care of mine by myself and it looks as good as the guy next door. I only had one weed in the front yard this spring and it is long dead.

Last edited by Swimmer; 05-09-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
wrench

Trugreen ruined my lawn many years ago!!

They go from yard to yard with the same equipment and never clean it thus bringing all sorts of weeds into your yard from that equipment.

They did a treatment to my yard in the fall after we had freezing rain and it was windy when they were applying it and it all blew onto my wet driveway.
When I questioned them about it the guy doing the work shrugs his shoulders and says the ice is good for it as the ice will allow the treatment to soak into the soil better. I said, yea but it all blew into the driveway. He said stop being so fussy buddy!

I said I will. I called Trugreen and asked for my money back and they refused. I then cancelled my contract and never paid for that last treatment.
wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Saltheart

My lawn is a classic old New England lawn. I have little white flowers , little purple violets , nice yellow dandylions, grape hyacinths, etc all with a nice green background.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote to his relatives how beautiful the lawns were in the USa with all the wild flowers mixed in with the grass. he commented how boring the all green lawns in England were.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Minimal lawn care steps:
2 bags of Winterizer: put one down in Oct/Nov and one in Mar
1 bag Scotts + Halts: down by mid-May (stops crabgrass)
1 bag general fertilizer: put down late Aut/Sept (when the rains start)
1 bottle conc. Weed-be-Gon: contol undesirable broadleaf weeds)
1 bottle conc. Roundup: control growth of EVERYTHING you don't want in an area (don't get this on the lawn! Use hand pump sprayer directly on weeds).
GrubEx: at least once/yr, I do twice as bag is cheaper than fixing lawn.
Every other year: lime, about 40-60lbs/500sq ft.

Take the bag OFF the mower and recycle the clippings, feed the earthworms, good for aeration. No need to water, let it go brown in the summer and enjoy the break from mowing. Forget the lawn care by the numbers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	46735  

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
WESTPORTMAFIA

I only know 1 thing about true green. I hired a salesperson who worked for them. He told me that they were basically trained to tell everyone that they had grubs even though they may have had no problem. Also the salespeople are not the ones who come back and do the treatments. He told me how he used to bull#^&#^&#^&#^& all of the time. This was after I hired him and we became friends. Thats how they made their money and that's how they were trained. I would never use them or recommend them. I just put down dylox and dethatched my lawn. My local trusted landscaper/ horticulturist and friend is coming to slice seed and fertilize.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post

You'll be sorry

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote