Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
fish4life

sealing

ok guys, so i just picked up a iwata eclips onsale at ACmoore. i got two musso plug kits coming in the mail from NJtackle. i did a search on sealing but im still confused. what do i seal with and how do i do it?
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Best is to do a search on this. There are many ways that work and many that don't but the search will bring you to a complete discussion of this.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

In the old days they used harpoons or spears, then recently they clubbed them or shot them. Now ya can't touch them.

oh you mean seal a plug my mistake

Everyone uses different stuff it seems so I can see how it's confusing.
I guess ya have to try something and if it works for you and you are comfortable with it, go with that.

I guess ya can't go wrong soaking bodies in some sort of boiled linseed oil mix thinned with something so it penetrates. Harder woods soak longer. Allow plenty of drying time or the paint can lift. Dispose of any oily rags carefully as they can sponaneously combust.

If you want to paint sooner, try the propianate stuff that you dislove in acetone, wear gloves and a respirator, dip it 3 times or so, it dries fast. prime the next day easily.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote