Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
vineyardblues

How to log on to another computer?

With out a 3rd party software, what is the best way to gain control of
another desktop computer that is remote so you can find/fix a problem? both have xp installed.
Thanks
need an answer a.s.a.p ...lol
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

netmeeting will work. start - run - and enter "conf" then hit enter. the other pc will need to be setup also on this

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
vineyardblues

Anyone ever try this???

e the Help and Support tool to gain remote access
  1. An broadband or cable internet connection.
  2. Windows Xp on both computers
  3. An email address or be signed into Windows Live messenger.
The easiest way to connect
It is very easy to connect two computers over the internet. One computer can take control and fix problems on the other computer. Following these steps to use the Help and support software that is built in to Windows.
  1. Sign in to Windows Live Messenger and have your friend do the same thing.
  2. Go to the start menu and choose Help and Support (shown below) Just the computer user that wants to invite does this.
  3. The Help and Support Center will appear. Click on Invite a Friend to connect to your computer with Remote Assistance. Located under the Ask For Assistance menu.
  4. Then press Invite someone to help you. The window below will appear.
  5. Choose your friends name from the Windows Messenger contact list.
  6. Click on Invite this person.
  7. This will allow your friend to see your desktop. If they want to control your they must press the Take control button and the other person must agree by pressing ok..
Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Adam_777

I use a program called Radmin.Free 30 day trial to test it out.Give you full control, file downloading uploading and you can connect and see what your kids are doing without them knowing your watching.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
vineyardblues

No 3rd party S/W ....just Micosoft , desktop to desktop
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
I've done remote assitance before. If you have XP, it only works on the Professional version. (you can find out if you have it, during start up under the Windows Startup Black screen when booting up)

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
fishsmith
DDG-51

the two I use are

remote desktop
remotely anywhere
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
MrHunters
What was that!?!

are you talking local or over the the internet.

local,
you can use Remote Desktop (in accessories / system tools folder) if its over the internet.you need a third party program http://logmein.com offers a pc anywhere solution for free. OR a vpn secure tunnel. Send a pm if you want help.

i dont like the live messenger options. not everyone has a .net passport.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
NJTackle
#1 Plug Building Supply

You can use RDC over the internet also. Just needs to be setup properly.

NJTackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardblues View Post
With out a 3rd party software, what is the best way to gain control of
another desktop computer that is remote so you can find/fix a problem? both have xp installed.
Thanks
need an answer a.s.a.p ...lol

Here is a little secret for everyone. Both comps go on the web to ShowMyPc.com, download the app to your desktop, one person runs show my pc which will generate the password and calls the password to the other person that enters the password. Five seconds later a secure tunnel opens up and a VNC connection is established. It's pretty sweet

I won't bore you with the geek details but it runs pretty slick, is pretty secure (yes, some can debate it), but it is great for remotely and easily setup remote control on PCs

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #11
Adam_777

Without 3rd party software your stuck with what Microsoft gives you.Sooo good luck with that I've never even tried to use it.The 3rd party stuff is far better than what MS is giving you.Radmin is the same as what JohnR is saying.1 pc gets radmin server installed which prompts for login and PW at the install.Then Hides in the taskbar and can be set to run at startup.The other PC that is connecting fires up radmin viewer puts in the ip address of the other with name and pw and bam your screen is the other pc's screen.It doesn't pop anything up to let the user know your connected and you can view only if you want.I've run a few dedicated servers in other states using this application it works great.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_777 View Post
Without 3rd party software your stuck with what Microsoft gives you.Sooo good luck with that I've never even tried to use it.The 3rd party stuff is far better than what MS is giving you.Radmin is the same as what JohnR is saying.1 pc gets radmin server installed which prompts for login and PW at the install.Then Hides in the taskbar and can be set to run at startup.The other PC that is connecting fires up radmin viewer puts in the ip address of the other with name and pw and bam your screen is the other pc's screen.It doesn't pop anything up to let the user know your connected and you can view only if you want.I've run a few dedicated servers in other states using this application it works great.
The nice thing about ShowMyPc is that it does not require the "host" to know about setting firewalls and ports and such. Because both endpoints go to a SSH middle server to negotiate the secure connections for VNC sessions.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
NJTackle
#1 Plug Building Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
The nice thing about ShowMyPc is that it does not require the "host" to know about setting firewalls and ports and such. Because both endpoints go to a SSH middle server to negotiate the secure connections for VNC sessions.
Is a free service??? And what is the overhead / speed?

NJTackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Here is a little secret for everyone. Both comps go on the web to ShowMyPc.com, download the app to your desktop, one person runs show my pc which will generate the password and calls the password to the other person that enters the password. Five seconds later a secure tunnel opens up and a VNC connection is established. It's pretty sweet

I won't bore you with the geek details but it runs pretty slick, is pretty secure (yes, some can debate it), but it is great for remotely and easily setup remote control on PCs
sounds like the same concept as logmein.com i wonder if they are affilated.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote