Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #1
wdmso

Climate change: Alps glaciers melting faster as heatwaves hit

Melting glaciers in the Alps are on track for their highest mass losses in at least 60 years, according to data

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-62466095

Climate Deniers in the 117th Congress
There are 139 elected officials in the 117th Congress who still deny the scientific consensus of human-caused climate change.

take a guess Who
Old 08-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

Of all of our political divides, the fact that one party votes unanimously to address the climate crisis and one votes unanimously to do nothing might be the most jaw dropping for future generations (as it is to many who are here right now).
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
scottw

just cancelled my skiing plans...
Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Well it’s signed and I loved how Biden trashed the party who denies climate change is even real, the party that passes legislation for the upper crust, time for Fox and friends (Jim and Scott) to spin away.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Well it’s signed and I loved how Biden trashed the party who denies climate change is even real, the party that passes legislation for the upper crust, time for Fox and friends (Jim and Scott) to spin away.
I thought of you when I heard this climate activist story

French activists fill golf holes with cement to protest watering exemptions during drought
By Reuters
August 14, 2022
Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I thought of you when I heard this climate activist story

French activists fill golf holes with cement to protest watering exemptions during drought
By Reuters
August 14, 2022
Well I don’t own a golf course, but if you want to become an activist instead a snarky one liner, go start a movement. Let me spin this attempt in another direction. My course and every other likely pays for water and the public playing are getting exercise and are healthier for it. Now let’s look at some other sports and obscene salaries, fueled by what, oh yeah corporate greed. Put half of that money to fuel technology to move water around this country. Every year the same parts have historic flooding, while other parts of the country suffer historic droughts and fires.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Well I don’t own a golf course, but if you want to become an activist instead a snarky one liner, go start a movement. Let me spin this attempt in another direction. My course and every other likely pays for water and the public playing are getting exercise and are healthier for it. Now let’s look at some other sports and obscene salaries, fueled by what, oh yeah corporate greed. Put half of that money to fuel technology to move water around this country. Every year the same parts have historic flooding, while other parts of the country suffer historic droughts and fires.
that's the response I expected....nice goin" D+
Old 08-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
that's the response I expected....nice goin" D+
If Scott grades you D+, we all know it’s probably the opposite, or he just can’t consider in a country with so little water in so many places and so much yearly in others it could be time to put our engineering degrees to good work. Americans might prefer that instead of exploring space or spending obscene money to pay overpaid spoiled professional athletes.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #9
scottw

Quote:

If Scott grades you D+, we all know it’s probably the opposite,
probably
Old 08-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #10
wdmso

Germany's five alpine glaciers could disappear within 50 years, according to glaciologist Christoph Mayer.

The high temperatures and low rainfall this year have made it hard for the glaciers to stay frozen.

I wont be around so maybe I should just just
Old 08-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Germany's five alpine glaciers could disappear within 50 years, according to glaciologist Christoph Mayer.

The high temperatures and low rainfall this year have made it hard for the glaciers to stay frozen.

I wont be around so maybe I should just just
hope you put your order in for your electric vehicle, solar panels and windmill
Old 08-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
hope you put your order in for your electric vehicle, solar panels and windmill
Surely this will help.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/22/steven...in-two-months/
Old 08-22-2022, 04:33 PM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Spoken like a true sheep

Bill Gates pledged to transfer an additional $20 billion of his personal wealth to his philanthropic foundation, in an effort to support causes such as reducing child deaths, managing climate change and preventing future pandemics.
The funds mean the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, named after the billionaire and his ex-wife, will disburse $9 billion annually by 2026, up from about $6 billion today.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:

Spoken like a true sheep

can sheep be in cults?
Old 08-22-2022, 08:26 PM   #15
wdmso

Quote:
can sheep be in cults?
Walker, criticizing climate law, asks: ‘Don’t we have enough trees around here?’

Georgia Republican Senate nominee Herschel Walker is criticizing the sweeping climate, health-care and deficit-reduction bill signed into law by President Biden, arguing that it includes wasteful spending to combat global warming and asking, “Don’t we have enough trees around here?”

Are you and Jim his climate advisers ?
Old 08-23-2022, 05:01 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:

Georgia Republican Senate nominee Herschel Walker is criticizing the sweeping climate, health-care and deficit-reduction bill signed into law by President Biden, arguing that it includes wasteful spending to combat global warming and asking, “Don’t we have enough trees around here?”

probably doesn't matter because AOC said they'll all be dead in a few years anyway.....

ThE HILL Ocasio-Cortez: ‘World will end in 12 years’ if climate change not addressed
BY JOHN BOWDEN - 01/22/19
Old 08-23-2022, 05:50 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Spoken like a true sheep

Bill Gates pledged to transfer an additional $20 billion of his personal wealth to his philanthropic foundation, in an effort to support causes such as reducing child deaths, managing climate change and preventing future pandemics.
The funds mean the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, named after the billionaire and his ex-wife, will disburse $9 billion annually by 2026, up from about $6 billion today.
so what?

look at our climate czar. WhTs his carbon footprint? If he believes what he claims to believe, wouldn’t he be living the way he tells us to live? He obviously doesn’t believe what he says he believes.

Sheep? I’m a sheep? i’ve got both sides of my roof covered in solar panels and i have a Nissan Leaf that i use whenever i’m driving short distances by myself. What do you got?

Old 08-23-2022, 06:24 AM   #18
scottw

Quote:

i’ve got both sides of my roof covered in solar panels and i have a Nissan Leaf that i use whenever i’m driving short distances by myself. What do you got?

they've got fossil fuel powered cars, trucks, boats and power tools and homes but they are deeply concerned that others are destroying our environment
Old 08-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #19
wdmso

Quote:
so what?

look at our climate czar. WhTs his carbon footprint? If he believes what he claims to believe, wouldn’t he be living the way he tells us to live? He obviously doesn’t believe what he says he believes.

Sheep? I’m a sheep? i’ve got both sides of my roof covered in solar panels and i have a Nissan Leaf that i use whenever i’m driving short distances by myself. What do you got?

So what . classic response

Just pointing the usual cherry picking from conservatives. Who ignore the billions spent on making the world a better place . But omg he spent x on fuel and he’s a liberal who hates climate change

That’s the sheep you run with

sheep? i’ve got both sides of my roof covered in solar panels and i have a Nissan Leaf that i use whenever i’m driving short distances by myself.

Or the only reason you even respond is so you can think your owing the libs…

Because outside you and Scott’s virtue signaling . Actually talking about the issue is replaced with the usual wash rinse and repeat .one liners

Ps I own no solar panels nor own an electric car . But I do own an electric toaster. My electric bill is I would guess is less then your monthly lease payment or monthly bill if you own them outright . And my gas KiA and Truck get little usage seeing I am retired.. so in a nutshell I am spending less on gas and electric to make either choice financial beneficial. But still have a well insulated home windows and energy star appliances lights and heating and get my electric from renewable sources via my power company

But hey if you think the only way to show you’re serious about the environment is solar panels and electric cars .. your missing the big picture
Old 08-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
So what . classic response

Just pointing the usual cherry picking from conservatives. Who ignore the billions spent on making the world a better place . But omg he spent x on fuel and he’s a liberal who hates climate change

That’s the sheep you run with

sheep? i’ve got both sides of my roof covered in solar panels and i have a Nissan Leaf that i use whenever i’m driving short distances by myself.

Or the only reason you even respond is so you can think your owing the libs…

Because outside you and Scott’s virtue signaling . Actually talking about the issue is replaced with the usual wash rinse and repeat .one liners

Ps I own no solar panels nor own an electric car . But I do own an electric toaster. My electric bill is I would guess is less then your monthly lease payment or monthly bill if you own them outright . And my gas KiA and Truck get little usage seeing I am retired.. so in a nutshell I am spending less on gas and electric to make either choice financial beneficial. But still have a well insulated home windows and energy star appliances lights and heating and get my electric from renewable sources via my power company

But hey if you think the only way to show you’re serious about the environment is solar panels and electric cars .. your missing the big picture
it’s “cherry picking” to point out that the founder of this movement ( Al Gore) and the current climate change czar ( John Kerry) as well as many prominent spokespeople
like Spielberg and Dicaprio, clearly don’t believe what they claim to believe? there’s no validity in pointing that out?

Sorry wdmso, if the president of PETA is eating burgers at 5 Guys every night wearing a mink coat, , then there’s no reason to listen to what they have to say on the subject.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #21
wdmso

Quote:
it’s “cherry picking” to point out that the founder of this movement ( Al Gore) and the current climate change czar ( John Kerry) as well as many prominent spokespeople
like Spielberg and Dicaprio, clearly don’t believe what they claim to believe? there’s no validity in pointing that out?

Sorry wdmso, if the president of PETA is eating burgers at 5 Guys every night wearing a mink coat, , then there’s no reason to listen to what they have to say on the subject.
Yep it’s cherry picking Jim a well honed skill of those who can’t see the forest Tru the Trees ..

Spielberg and Dicaprio, clearly don’t believe what they claim to believe? there’s no validity in pointing that out?

To bad you can’t apply the same logic to those you follow . Then maybe you could have some validity to point that out

Fyi. DiCaprio has worked to bring attention and funding to the protection of biodiversity, ocean and forest conservation, and climate change. The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation supports over 35 innovative conservation projects around the world that protect fragile ecosystems and key species.

You have a leaf and solar panels..

But but Leonardo is the hypocrite
Old 08-23-2022, 08:37 AM   #22
scottw

Quote:

Ps I own no solar panels nor own an electric car . But I do own an electric toaster.

good start...great job!!!
Old 08-23-2022, 08:43 AM   #23
wdmso

Jim there’s a name for what you do

hypocrisy discourse.

Conservatives who reject climate change action tend to use two “modes” of hypocrisy discourse. The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists to undermine the urgency and moral need for climate change action. The second, an “institutional cynicism” mode, encourages a cynical fatalism about any proposed governmental action regarding climate change by suggesting that governments are necessarily climate hypocrites because of the economic and political impossibility of serious emissions reductions. In contrast,
Old 08-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:

hypocrisy discourse.

Conservatives who reject climate change action tend to use two “modes” of hypocrisy discourse. The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists to undermine the urgency and moral need for climate change action. The second, an “institutional cynicism” mode, encourages a cynical fatalism about any proposed governmental action regarding climate change by suggesting that governments are necessarily climate hypocrites because of the economic and political impossibility of serious emissions reductions. In contrast,
it's always fun when it "Wayne's new word day"
Old 08-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:

hypocrisy discourse.

i don’t reject climate change action. i spend more time on the water and deep in the woods than most, i want healthy and clean ecosystems and have a deep love of wild animals.

What i don’t want, is a lecture from anyone who voluntarily chooses to live in such wealth and extravagance that he has the carbon footprint of a small country.

Lead by example, or shut the hell up. The only thing Al Gore has unplugged in the last 25 years is his treadmill. I’m not interested in what he has to say. But you suck it up like a Hoover deluxe because he has a (D) after his name..

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-23-2022 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #26
wdmso

Quote:
i don’t reject climate change action. i spend more time on the water and deep in the woods than most, i want healthy and clean ecosystems and have a deep love of wild animals.

What i don’t want, is a lecture from anyone who voluntarily chooses to live in such wealth and extravagance that he has the carbon footprint of a small country.

Lead by example, or shut the hell up. The only thing Al Gore has unplugged in the last 25 years is his treadmill. I’m not interested in what he has to say. But you suck it up like a Hoover deluxe because he has a (D) after his name..
Did you even read it. Because you applied it perfectly

The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists

Can you name. Conservatives climate activist?

Last edited by wdmso; 08-23-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Old 08-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #27
wdmso

This must be Jim’s source of his outrage

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...l-tell-no-show

Fortunately, you can ignore the performative virtue-signaling of these preening narcissists — both the politicians and the celebrities. The solutions to carbon emissions are already with us. If the planet is really in peril, then it's worth keeping all those dams and nuclear reactors in operation, and building new ones besides. Even a carbon-spewing electric Hummer becomes green if it's powered by good old nuclear. And fusion reactors are on the horizon, too.

Nuclear wow how original
Old 08-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:

The first is an “individual lifestyle outrage” mode that cultivates outrage about the hypocritical behavior and lifestyle choices of climate activists

conservatives want a healthy environment. we aren’t going to be told to take the bus, by people
who fly private jets. sorry if that’s going too fast for you.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:

conservatives want a healthy environment. we aren’t going to be told to take the bus, by people

wayne, if we all get electric cars, where does all that additional
needed electricity come from? do you think wind and solar can generate it?
Old 08-24-2022, 02:46 AM   #30
wdmso

Quote:

wayne, if we all get electric cars, where does all that additional
needed electricity come from? do you think wind and solar can generate it?
You think like some people in Texas after getting 10 inch’s of rain in 24hrs they think their drought is over

You apply the same logic to Climate

You’re waiting for that one big Idea to happen and fix everything

You do understand if only electric cars and trucks were on the roads

Electric generation won’t be just wind and solar . Not sure why you keep thinking that’s how it will work

We have an old infrastructure and change is slow . And it’s even slower when one party wants to protect oil and gas . Then they care to protect future Americans.

There’s a reason why you can take a train any where in Europe quickly
Or use reliable public transportation

as for extra generation ask the private power companies who shuttered 2 in my town they refused to convert them to Gas or there wasn’t enough gas infrastructure

They removed more power from the grid in a day then I’d wager all the electric cars in the Us