Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
Flaptail

Question Here's a question sure to spark some hate mail.....

Other than nice paint jobs and a cult following for collectors, what the hell is so great about Lefty's plugs? I have seen them, held them etc., very light, lousy hooks. I mean a bass in a bad mood on the Elizabeth's would kill those things. Does anybody actually fish them? $45.00 for a plug new?

Fire away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rocket em:

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
NIB

I agree with most of ur statements the small ones are light the bigger ones are round 2 oz.More of a cult thing he was the first totally custom builder to sell epoxy finish lures.An the first to seal up all the holes.Not sure i like them that way I think I prefer a swivel as a fish can trow the lure on a fixed hook.They have great action being very light for there size.They don't cost 45 he sells em at some club functions an at the asbury show for 30 only recently up from 25 each.His son Wade makes a similar plug but is more meticulas with his finish an is a better painter.Wade was only sellin his stuff in the past few yrs to a local tackle shop that has since closed.They where gettin 40 $ per there.I have more wades then lefty's.I got them yrs ago for considerably less.I think the fact he only makes like 300 for the show creats his own short supply like the gas coMPANY'S
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I wouldn't worry Flap....sounds to me like your just dumping gasoline on a forest fire......$45.00 a plug????

He can keep em'!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Adam R

I never understood what the big attraction to them was either.
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Surfsters

Gota Luv This Thread

Flap... being born and bred here at the Jersey Shore; I find your question amusing and well deserving an honest answer. I usually try to refrain from posting on all the internet message boards because most people do not like what I have to say. But I have a feeling you might in this case.......

First off I would like to say here in Jersey we do not have the deep water or the amount of big fish you have up north, hence most Jersey Makers built plugs to catch little fish.

When Lefty first started building plugs he just epoxied the hook hangers in the baits; that was fine for most of the fish caught, but many big fish were lost, the whole hook hanger ripped from the bait. The design has since changed from what I am told, but not before pissing off a lot of people.

Did you ever see what happens to a totally sealed plug after the lip hits the rocks a few times or a couple of decent fish bend the lip around a little? THEY LEAK! The wood swells, paint peels, etc.

Don't get me wrong I have a couple of boxes full of Lefty's and Wade's, I have been saving for collector value or when I become a very old man and want to catch little fish.

I find it very dishearting to walk into the Asbury Park Show every year and see so many Lefty clones. We have so many talented lure makers here at the Jersey Shore, I just wish they would be themselves and make and perfect one model of their own.

Bob Hahn Plugs, Flap you might also want to hear what I think about them. They suck to fish, but have great collector value now. Did you know that most of the sharpies down here wouldn't fish them, but you New England boys loved them, go figure.

If you are going to the Asbury Show and want a good fishable plug, buy a McFadden, his plugs have caught more big fish than all of them combined.
Surfsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Karl F

BM, come back, read Surfsters post .. I thought of you, and what you have said, when I read it..
I'm sure you know what I mean Flap
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

[QUOTE=Surfsters].

Did you ever see what happens to a totally sealed plug after the lip hits the rocks a few times or a couple of decent fish bend the lip around a little? THEY LEAK! The wood swells, paint peels, etc.

??????? if the blank is properly sealed prior to paint and epoxy they should'nt.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Jigman

[QUOTE=afterhours]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsters

??????? if the blank is properly sealed prior to paint and epoxy they should'nt.
I agree, if the blank is properly sealed before the paint, you are ok. Some of the first plugs I did, I fully encased them in epoxy. Unfortunately, I did not seal them. Once I got a crack, they were junk The other problem that could happen is that once they crack, you allow water in, but maybe not out as easily. Changes the weight of the plug, and the action. That said, I still prefer handcarves or crankbaits that are fully enclosed. Bomber types, for example, seem to work better that way.

Have never seen a Lefty up close, so I cannot comment on them.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Surfsters...great reply and much appreciated. Nice to hear from someone with knowledge of these plugs. Got any pics of any McFadden plugs?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
Flaptail

Thumbs up

Quote:
Flap... being born and bred here at the Jersey Shore; I find your question amusing and well deserving an honest answer. I usually try to refrain from posting on all the internet message boards because most people do not like what I have to say. But I have a feeling you might in this case.......

First off I would like to say here in Jersey we do not have the deep water or the amount of big fish you have up north, hence most Jersey Makers built plugs to catch little fish.

When Lefty first started building plugs he just epoxied the hook hangers in the baits; that was fine for most of the fish caught, but many big fish were lost, the whole hook hanger ripped from the bait. The design has since changed from what I am told, but not before pissing off a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong I have a couple of boxes full of Lefty's and Wade's, I have been saving for collector value or when I become a very old man and want to catch little fish.

I find it very dishearting to walk into the Asbury Park Show every year and see so many Lefty clones. We have so many talented lure makers here at the Jersey Shore, I just wish they would be themselves and make and perfect one model of their own.

Bob Hahn Plugs, Flap you might also want to hear what I think about them. They suck to fish, but have great collector value now. Did you know that most of the sharpies down here wouldn't fish them, but you New England boys loved them, go figure.

If you are going to the Asbury Show and want a good fishable plug, buy a McFadden, his plugs have caught more big fish than all of them combined.
Surfster, thanks for your concise and completely honest answer. Your points are valid and well taken. Please do comment more here!
As far as a Mcfadden got any pics? Thanks Again, Steve Shiraka, aka Flaptail.

Why even try.........
Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #11
Flaptail

Talking

Oh yeah, one error. We don't have the big fish up here. (We got Bigfish though!)

Why even try.........
Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
black label

lefty

here is one of my so called lefty clones. it is 7" weights 3.5oz. it swims much better then lefty and with 3 coats of epoxy i dont think there is any worry about swelling and splitting. at least the over 300 that i have sold no one has every come back with a problem only great things like this . my plug have caught 42 fish over 30# and 27 fish over 40#. oh ya lets not forget about the 5 14# blues i caught last year without a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0149.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	14204   Click image for larger version

Name:	captain americm.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	14205  
black label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #13
vineyardblues

I like this comment ...lol
vb

ps.hi tom
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Skitterpop

Flap was

right on it

Surfcaster`s reply was informative and concise

Carling Black Label...remember that beer? Brewery in Natick or Framingham off route 9

Black Label`s plugs are the balls!

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indanite
Carling Black Label...remember that beer? Brewery in Natick or Framingham off route 9
Natick, "on the shores of Lake Cochituate" as their ad went

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Half of the Asbury Park club makes lefty copies. I'll snap some pics at the Asbury show this year and post them.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #17
SeaWolf

Quote:
some nice points. i have to say surfster, cant the same be said for many of the custom lure builders that have come up today? how many have copied an idea of someone's lure and really done little different, but change the name? yes, some have come up w/ new ideas, and i applaud them for their creativity. but, too many are jumping on someone else's inginuity. i am very curious to see what this "custom wood" lure market looks like in 5-10 years. who's left, what changed, demands, etc.

Quote:
i remember many years back when i walked into a tackle shop, you had one choice for wood (custom or mass prod.) - gibbs. hahn's came into a few NE shops and they were a nice alternative to gibbs. hahn produced a few "unique" lures that had their place, which was something that was not available, except thru older lures they copied. but, you had to go thru the whole row of that lure and pick thru the ones that were crude - bent lips, unstraight drilling, unstraight cuts, etc. the percentages were surpisely low for a "true" lure. i still have many hahn's and they sit on the wall or drawer. there are better lures out now that cloned the same lures hahn cloned.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #18
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

[QUOTE=SeaWolf]some nice points. i have to say surfster, cant the same be said for many of the custom lure builders that have come up today? how many have copied an idea of someone's lure and really done little different, but change the name? yes, some have come up w/ new ideas, and i applaud them for their creativity. but, too many are jumping on someone else's inginuity. i am very curious to see what this "custom wood" lure market looks like in 5-10 years. who's left, what changed, demands, etc.

only point I can add to this is the fact that there's not much left in the way of shape's that havn't already been done and have proven themselves in battle...so it's going to be copy city from this day forth...being shorter,larger,fatter,longer,smaller..he same shape is still there.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #19
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

Quote:

:
your on crack, send me ya hans, the %$%$%$%$ing things work in falmouth big time
Thanks

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #20
Flaptail

It's warm out he has come out of his cave! A little grumpy though.

Why even try.........
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #21
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Bob Hahn Plugs catch in N.J as well BM. Ok so their finish was not the best but they caught fish.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #22
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperknight
Bob Hahn Plugs catch in N.J as well BM. Ok so their finish was not the best but they caught fish.
The only problem I ever had wioth Hahns was the lips started to loose the finish. I think it was just chromed and they flaked off. They caught though, that's for sure.

Why even try.........
Old 02-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #23
Charlie M

Quote:
I have no idea if they have caught more big fish or how many, but McFadden makes a plug exactly as it should be made.
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #24
jomlt9@AOL.COM

I always like Billy's plug yes they catch and they are alittle cheaper than some of the custom stuff at the shows , stick on eyes, swivels ,great action and 15 and 20 dollars
jomlt9@AOL.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #25
Krispy

Im way ahead of my time, good to see some fianlly catching up

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #26
Skitterpop

Any McFadden Photos?

Anyone hmmmmmm?

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #27
jomlt9@AOL.COM

photo's

here are a few billy McFaddens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0424.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	14234   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0425.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	14235  
Old 02-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #28
jomlt9@AOL.COM

lefty's

some lefty's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0426.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	14236  
Old 02-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #29
jomlt9@AOL.COM

one for larry bigfish

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0416.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	14237  
Old 02-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I like that last one Jomlt9.....I have not forgotten you...finishing up a batch in a couple weeks! Stay tuned!