Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

What have we done!

Seriously?

I am too young to have been around when we landed on the moon. I have no clue what it felt like to watch GI's go off to fight WW2 and to see them return having defeated a dictator who attempted to wipe out an entire race of people. I remember feeling pride when we went off to desert storm because it felt like we were helping people that otherwise would have been overtaken by another militant dictatorship.

My grandparents generation with far less technology broke boundaries. They invented space travel. They flew to the moon. They broke the sound barrier and laid the ground work for the technology we enjoy today. At 37 years old I can honestly say nothing equates to any of these achievements. We have made great advancements in medical treatment and understanding the physiology and bioogy of the human body.

I hear my parents say I remember where I was when they landed on the moon. Etc. I remember the Apollo missions etc. and less celebrated but equally defining when Kennedy was assassinated.

What are the defining moments of our generation? Honestly?

I hope something good happens soon in this world. I don't want the defining moments of
My generation to be where were you when you heard about 9-11, columbine, Oklahoma City, VA Tech and now New Town?

Sorry to be a downer but I just read a eulogy delivered by a mother of a 6 year old. It has me absolutely in a puddle. I really haven't given myself time to process what happened last Friday and it is hitting me like a ton of bricks right now.

I just can not imagine ever getting that call. I hope I never do. Just brutal

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

We've done a lot in space. It's just that a lot of it isn't as dramatic as landing men on the moon, because technology has advanced to the point that machines can gather and transmit data to earth better and faster than humans can. Think of that Mars rover that may have found evidence of carbon based material, the Hubble telescope which has allowed us to figure out how old the universe really is and has let us see deeper into it than ever before, and the recent discovery of ice on Mercury, in craters so deep and shielded from the sun that water droplets can actually freeze on a planet with a surface temp high enough to melt lead.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

We made Pluto into a non planet, and screwed up kids solar system projects for years to come.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
We made Pluto into a non planet, and screwed up kids solar system projects for years to come.
One less styrofoam ball to buy....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
mosholu
Mosholu

In the last twenty five years or so we had the fall of the USSR, the rise of computer technology and great advances in medical. Forty years from now they will be seen as important as earlier events it is just that now we do not have the necessary perspective. Landing on the moon was really cool and took incredible balls because even the astronauts rated their chance for return at 40. Pct.
mosholu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Why I am posing it as a question. I realize that there have been major advancements. Just want to have a couple more wow thats awesome moments.
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Jack, I agree. See my post in the political forum. last friday really shook me up and the country's reaction, which may be appropriate, will further limit our freedoms and sense of security in this counrty,
Im 43, the proud moments I have for our country are mostly in the past. I cannot recall too many from my lifetime. The berlin wall coming down and the collapse of the soviet union are one. My opinon is still out on technology - sure we have ipods, ipads, cell phone, internet, but is life better? People happier? Im not sure.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Grapenuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Seriously?

What are the defining moments of our generation? Honestly?

you missed " china buying the USA "
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Cloning of sheep.

Van staals and ZeeBaas reels

Most the things I remember are tragedies, im 31, OK city bombing happen when I was on school vacation, remember watching the fall of the wall but didn't really know what it meant at the time.
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
FinS 32

Quote:
that nonsense happened in the prime time of my learning about planets. elementary school. Still chose not to accept that fact

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
Why I am posing it as a question. I realize that there have been major advancements. Just want to have a couple more wow thats awesome moments.
You reproduced. That's pretty major
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Van staals and ZeeBaas reels
Nuff said... eff the moon landing!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #13