Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

WTF OVER

double wtf over

Cabinetmaker/Finisher Supervisor
Listing #435756 Listed on: 01/10
Listing Type: Offering Employment
Phone:
Name: Supreme Court of the United States
Company: Supreme Court of the United States
Web link: Link
Description:
POSITION: Cabinetmaker/Finisher Supervisor

OFFICE: Marshal’s Office

DESCRIPTION: Responsible for supervising up to 6 employees and the overall operations of the Cabinetmaking and Finishing Shops. Incumbent is a working Supervisor. Responsibilities include repair and modification of existing original furniture and woodwork, supervising all aspects of shop operations, and infrastructure, tools/equipment, supplies/materials, and safety. Establishes priorities, develops schedules, assigns work and oversees quality and performance. Recommends personnel actions such as hiring, promotion, discipline, and training. Performs other duties as required.

QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma required; higher education desirable. Five years experience as a Cabinetmaker or Woodworker required. Extensive knowledge of the characteristics of a variety of hardwoods, softwoods, plywoods, veneer, wood substitutes, gluing and bonding agents and related woodworking materials. Basic refinishing skills required. Supervisory experience required. Experience in dealing with high level government officials and other dignitaries. General experience in machine maintenance, safety, general administration and supply administration desirable. Employment is subject to successful completion of a security background check.

SALARY: From SCP-11/1 ($62,467) to SCP-12 ($74,872 to $97,333) (SCP-12 is Full Performance Level)

CLOSING DATE: January 27, 2011 (close of business)

Do not respond via email, but rather go to the usajobs website to find out information and to fax your application, or you can follow the instructions below:

TO APPLY, please FAX to the Supreme Court of the United States at 202-479-3076 the following required forms:

• OF-306 – Declaration for Federal Employment*
• OF-612 – Optional Application for Federal Employment*, along with
• Resume and Cover Letter

Phone number: 202-479-3404

*Optional Forms 306 and 612 can be obtained from USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

NO EMAILS PLEASE. ONLY FAXES WITH THE ABOVE MENTIONED DOCUMENTATION WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

??? whats the problem?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Fly Rod

I see nothing wrong with that salary.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
spence

How much do you think an experienced cabinet maker, with management experience, living in DC should earn?

Seems like the range is in line.

-spence
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

100k a year to make cabinets for the supreme court? your kidding me.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I thought the President assigned the cabinet members

oh, wrong cabinet, sorry.

seems like a very long list of qualifications
the funniest is having experience dealing with high level government officials, another words do you need a butt smoocher suckup I don't think i have that covered but I do with all the other stuff, well questionable on the security check.

Not interested in that job for only 75 K , good luck to them, sounds like a challenging job for someone.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

it says possible(full level performence) 100k to SUPERVISE and do a lot of other things.

qualified people don't grow on trees

government jobs pay well
to get the best, you have to pay the best
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltys View Post
100k a year to make cabinets for the supreme court? your kidding me.
The building us huge. I just bid on a. Job to replicate some lighting components for the SC building.
Fingers are crossed!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
well questionable on the security check.
Oger's need not apply Wavin to Bruce
Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Piscator

Do you guys think it would it be cheaper if they contracted it out? Privatized it?

Seems like it would be cheaper to do that.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I dont think its butt kissing, but you need someone polished (get it, cabinets??) enough to deal with justices who are highly educated and I would assume demanding.
I dont get too riled up with this type of stuff, the supreme court is an extremely prestigious role and I can see the need for some good craftsmen to support.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Chesapeake Bill

There is more to it than merely being a good cabinetmaker. I know many folks from the Office of the Architect (this position's counter on Capitol Hill). The biggest problem is making sure that any work that is done to repair or upgrade the buildings do nothing to ruin the historic nature. Preservation being the key, it takes someone who is an expert in all aspects of the job. As an example, I've seen them have to make wood patterns to recast plaster molding as they installed a sprinkler system so the molding was original. Not a cabinetmaker's job..but a requirement on them none the less. I often tell people that if they think the job is easy, they should apply and demonstrate their skills.

Scott, you can stay at my place until you get settled. Go ahead and submit an application. They should select someone just about the time that spring striper season starts!

Piscator, My childhood friend is a contractor who does the same work in DC and he definitely costs more becuase of the time demands to do such exacting work.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
There is more to it than merely being a good cabinetmaker. I know many folks from the Office of the Architect (this position's counter on Capitol Hill). The biggest problem is making sure that any work that is done to repair or upgrade the buildings do nothing to ruin the historic nature. Preservation being the key, it takes someone who is an expert in all aspects of the job. As an example, I've seen them have to make wood patterns to recast plaster molding as they installed a sprinkler system so the molding was original. Not a cabinetmaker's job..but a requirement on them none the less. I often tell people that if they think the job is easy, they should apply and demonstrate their skills.
good point

Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post

Scott, you can stay at my place until you get settled. Go ahead and submit an application. They should select someone just about the time that spring striper season starts!

Piscator, My childhood friend is a contractor who does the same work in DC and he definitely costs more becuase of the time demands to do such exacting work.
makes sence, historical point is agreat point

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Ok I put my application in and listed you as contact for emergencies Bill
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Ok I put my application in and listed you as contact for emergencies Bill
The listing was for a master craftsman, not someone who knows how to program an NC lathe

-spence
Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Probably got better qualifications than half the schmoes that work in this administration right now.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
eastendlu

Quote:
Probably got better qualifications than half the schmoes that work in this administration right now.
I agree you are overqualified to be a Republican't .

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
My grandfather was a master carpenter and cabinetmaker in Boston.
He made enough to buy a 3 story walk up.
He did work at the Arch Diocese, Boston College, State House, etc.

He made more than the equivalent of that job back in the day.

We still have his tools.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Backbeach Jake

Any Master Tradesman should be paid in that range. I guarantee that he took longer to master his skills than your doctor did.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #21
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
....the funniest is having experience dealing with high level government officials, another words do you need a butt smoocher suckup I don't think i have that covered but I do with all the other stuff, well questionable on the security check.......
Probably more along the lines of dealing with overpaid clowns that live by the mantra "Do you know who I am?"
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
FishermanTim

That's probably what will make a $200.00 cabinet end up costing the taxpayers $20,000.00 in the end!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #23
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

Pretty much sums up the reason I posted this. Move over I need some wall too

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
That's probably what will make a $200.00 cabinet end up costing the taxpayers $20,000.00 in the end!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
My grandfather was a master carpenter and cabinetmaker in Boston.
He made enough to buy a 3 story walk up.
He did work at the Arch Diocese, Boston College, State House, etc.

He made more than the equivalent of that job back in the day.

We still have his tools.
I'm willing to bet your grandfather worked his ass off too. I'm also willing to bet this job is a little "slower paced".

And the job description indicates to me they are looking for another layer of managment. 6 people...give me a brake.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #25
Chesapeake Bill

The job isn't slow paced at all. The old justice buildings are falling down from disrepair. The real problem of working with high level government officials is that they do not understand the work it takes to do something right (maybe because they don't practice that mantra).

Scott, you can put me down as a reference. I've seen your work and I know it is more than programming. Heck, the programming was easy compared to building the devices. ...and you deal with this group who know much more than the politicians...
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #26
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

roflmao
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

To quote this forum's favorite would be president herself...

Chesapeake Bill endorsing Scott to go work in the Supreme Court Building is officially a 'WTF Moment'

I can see it now.

"You want me to through wire that gavel for you?"

"What do you wear under that robe? want a Bugger Beanie?"

"Oh, sorry justice scallia, that's my 4/0 VMC Treble you sat on.... let me push the barb through and we'll get it out...."

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #28
Raven

Sarah Palin is

a WTF Moment about to Happen

Barrack Obama is a WTF Moment that already happened