Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Offshore trip - W. Atlantis to E. Atlantis

Quiet trip over all. We don't have a range to reach Welker for the bite there, so settled on the Atlantis' rather than fight the crowd at the tails.

worked some warm but stale looking water from West Atlantis to Atlantis. trolled over 80 miles over Fri afternoon and Sat AM.

started well. hit 12 small mahi around a high-flyer (pot) south of the dump. got on the troll in W. Atlantis and had a knock down w/in 30min that turned out to be a 35lb Longfin (Albacore) tuna. Nothing else.
trolled off the edge from there to East Atlantis where found some whales. another boat said Sperm whales in the area, we only saw the back which can look much like a finback, so who knows.

Worked some 75 deg water for a while and had a good knockdown on a bird/chewy hoo (plastic ballyhoo) on a jet head. Let it dump 400yds while looking for a second tuna. no love. single hook-up. seeing a long color profile deep, we were thinking nice tuna, but when in came closer I saw a small tail. Wahoo, and a big one. after an epic battle boatside (w/o a wire leader) we got her up and I sunk the long gaff as she dove again (a foot back into the meat, oh well). A second gaff into the head and she was aboard. Total length 74", fork length probably closer to 70" and 27" around. well larger than 65lb 'Hoo we had two years ago. Chased some splashes that look like a marlin chasing a skippy for a while on the troll, but no hook-ups. With the skippies around we were hoping for a big-eye in the area. Nothing the rest of the night except a couple of light (skippy?) knock downs. chunked/drifted squid all night for nada. Trolled the AM off the edge for Bigeye and found no love. worked on the flats for nothing. trolled the edge in 550ft to the tip of Atlantis and up to 60 fathoms. pulled the plug and steamed home.

not a banner trip, but added another trophy tail to the dock piling.

for the Wahoo David Oakley (single-man pic, no relation) was the angler, I was on the wire/gaff George (Tautog) ran the boat and sunk the second gaff. great team work. hook fell out when she hit the deck.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOak_DOak_HGarcia_Wahoo.jpg (349.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DOak_Wahoo.jpg (331.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg GOak_BOak_Wahoo.jpg (336.8 KB, 32 views)

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Nice report and really nice HOO! Congrats

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
teezer

Nice wahoo, they are a tasty fish

teezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Nice job you picked a good weekend
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
luds
Night Stalker

Looks like fun!

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Mr. Sandman

Wahoo are awesome..they can really bolt can't they??? The line rips across the water!

I hear the Welker BE bite is pretty damn good. Have not been myself but heard of some second hand reports of some good fish.

Nice trip. Always fun even if you don't smoke 'em.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
MakoMike

Nice Ono!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Sea Dangles

Took my annual trip to Va.Beach last week and went offshore to cigar canyon. Usually get white marlin,wahoo or yellowfin on the spread,not this year. We had one yf miss and that was it.We always troll close to the high fliers to poke around for mahi as they will tear up the ballyhoo.As usual we found plenty of customers in the 5-15 lb. range.Ended up with around 30 pounds of filets and many fish tacos on the beach.Yum.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote