Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
buckman

Now what the frig is the point to this!!!!!

I am disgusted with this bunch.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/...on_report.html
Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Easy...
This isn't a liberal media conspiracy to show dead soldiers for propaganda...

It was on NPR yesterday; apparently, some family members of the fallen wanted a photo of the casket with the flag, but the way the law was written, NO photos can be taken.

still requires family's consent.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
buckman

According to the story it's the AP that pushed for the change... This policy, put in by President Bush has annoyed the media since the start of the war. They felt if they showed bodies coming home it would piss off the masses like it did in the 70's. I am sure this ruling won't be exploited by the left. It's a way of justifing the pullout in Iraq. Mark my words.... Our men and women deserve better then to die for this country and then have there deaths exploited by the media. YES, I AM PISSED
Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Well, the story I heard was two mothers who had started a group pushing for this.
Maybe it is coincident that NPR played the story yesterday, or maybe the AP ran with the idea.

"And what the...president supports is a policy consistent with that that we have at Arlington cemetery, which allows at the families position for that to be open, which allows them to make that decision and protect their privacy if that's what they wish to do."

If the family is OK w/ it, I don't have a problem with it.

Oh, and IT SHOULD PISS OFF THE MASSES! I am not for exploiting those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, but maybe it will help light a fire under complacent people. I know currently, Iraq is barely mentioned on the news...

"Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, which bills itself as the country's first and largest nonpartisan organization for veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, applauded the policy shift as a way to show Americans the true cost of the wars.
“Less than 1% of the American population has served in Iraq or Afghanistan. There has never been a greater disconnect between those who serve in harms warm and those back home. All too often, the sacrifices of our military are hidden from view. The sight of flag-draped coffins is, and should be, a sobering reminder to all Americans of the ultimate sacrifice our troops have made and the high price of our freedom,” said IAVA Executive Director Paul Rieckhoff."

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
buckman

I hope your right about the Arlington Cemetary example. I just know that won't be were it stops. The media has no morals. Just watch CNN and Fox and how they exploit missing kids(I should say pretty,white missing girls) for ratings. Don't tell me they are only interested in finding the kids. Look at the circus after they are found.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

those examples are right from the story

Bryan

Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
buckman

I watched Gates on Cspan. The way it is worded is that the family would have to make a request for no media coverage.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
spence

I think it's a good move. The argument that a dead serviceman returning to US soil is a "family matter" is BS. They're draped in the US flag and their sacrifice is a burden on the entire country.

That's not to say I'd like to see it abused, although certianly some will.

-spence
Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I think that it should be kept private unless requested by the family.

There is a time and practice for honoring the remains of the returning. Those, and the especially the families wishes, should be honored above any "news" request.

Mostly off topic, anyone watch Taking Chance on HBO last week?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
According to the story it's the AP that pushed for the change... This policy, put in by President Bush has annoyed the media since the start of the war.
To be clear, it was Bush Sr. that put this into place. During a press conference about the Panama invasion, a White House spokesman cracked a joke that made many people smirk. Just so happened that in the background, caskets were being transported. As you can imagine, the combination of the two was blown out of proportion.

Then, in the beginning of Operation Desert Storm, this policy was put into place.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

You did not want to see the planes coming back from the Nam, if you had there would have been much more protest than what we saw in 67-69
The starting end of that trip were nothing that any American wanted to see, but I wish that the home unload would have been much more dignified.
Still haunts me
Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I . They're draped in the US flag and their sacrifice is a burden on the entire country.

-spence
I'm sure the men and women fighting over there don't feel their sacrifice is a burden on the entire country.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm sure the men and women fighting over there don't feel their sacrifice is a burden on the entire country.
That's not the point.

-spence
Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Bman, while I agree this can be expolited. I think every single american should see the cost of war.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Bman, while I agree this can be expolited. I think every single american should see the cost of war.

My point exactly!

Bryan

Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
buckman

Glad to know Buckman doesn't want us dead, he just thinks we're idiots!

Who's we?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Liberals.. in response to that douche bags post that liberals should go off and die...

Bryan

Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #18
buckman

Oh, Some of my closest friends are Liberals. and they think they are the smartest people in the world.

Look. we all know how the media works. I do not want to see body bags the news.I don't need to see body bags on the news. And the children of those that are serving don't need to see body bags on the news.

I thought maybe some of you had more compassion then contempt.

Last edited by buckman; 02-27-2009 at 02:21 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I think that it should be kept private unless requested by the family.

There is a time and practice for honoring the remains of the returning. Those, and the especially the families wishes, should be honored above any "news" request.
I agree with this. The problem with the media is that it's not their child/sibling/spouse coming home, so they don't have to deal with the same emotions as the loved ones of the returning soldier. The friends and family are in an emotional state due to a sudden and unexpected death of a loved one and should be given whatever time and space they need. I'd hate to see anyone pressured to allow the media access when they're trying to deal with a tragedy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio