Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
buckman

Will Obama just let Fargo drown?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090326/...dwest_flooding

Were the hell is the Federal govenment?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

It's a red state... so yeah. thats the plan

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Were the hell is the Federal govenment?
What do you expect them to do?

Looks like the Red Cross and a few thousand National Guard troops are already on the scene. The entire state was declared a Federal Disaster Area last week.

Doesn't seem like there's a big risk of life, mostly property. Obama can get out his pen but you're not going to stop a river.

Crazy situation though, at least when Cedar Rapids flooded last year it wasn't 20 freaking degrees!

-spence
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What do you expect them to do?

Looks like the Red Cross and a few thousand National Guard troops are already on the scene. The entire state was declared a Federal Disaster Area last week.

Doesn't seem like there's a big risk of life, mostly property. Obama can get out his pen but you're not going to stop a river.

Crazy situation though, at least when Cedar Rapids flooded last year it wasn't 20 freaking degrees!

-spence
And yet Bush was to blame for New Orleans.........
He offered help, long before the governor excepted it. But it was all blamed on Bush who made none of the mistakes on the ground, like sending busses to the wrong place. or having the rescue helicopter fly to his residence to get personal items vice rescue people.

Seems like republicans get blamed for the bad, while democrats accept the blame for things gone right.

Example, first 2 months of Obama's presidency stock market loses 1/3 of its value (not his fault) and yet it has a small rebound and Obama is credited by the drive-bys for it.. Total rubish
Old 03-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
He offered help, long before the governor excepted it. But it was all blamed on Bush who made none of the mistakes on the ground, like sending busses to the wrong place. or having the rescue helicopter fly to his residence to get personal items vice rescue people.

Seems like republicans get blamed for the bad, while democrats accept the blame for things gone right.
Apples and oranges. You're just trying to make hate.

-spence
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Nebe

Bush started that flood from the snow fall of 'o8.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Cool Beans

Quote:
Apples and oranges. You're just trying to make hate.

-spence
Not really, It does seem to happen pretty often. If I am somehow looking at the world upside down and Republicans are all to blame, I'll apologize when proven wrong. Until then this is just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Bush started that flood from the snow fall of 'o8.
You are a funny bastard Nebe
I just thought it was a contrast to see the Fargo folks working together to protect what they can. New Orleans.... don't listen to the warnings and then blame someone else for the situation.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Bronko

Quote:
You are a funny bastard Nebe
I just thought it was a contrast to see the Fargo folks working together to protect what they can. New Orleans.... don't listen to the warnings and then blame someone else for the situation.
Lets mobilize Ray Nagin and his fleet of unmanned buses, I think they are still sitting there. Did anyone check any of the dams, levees and storm drains around Fargo for explosives planted by the Bush Administration? Have we looked into whether the Republicans are actually using snowmakers to increase snowfall and flooding to make Obama's lack of response look worse. Let's go people!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

See... now your lumping the real wing bats in with the people that think the administration, including Bush, but certainly extending into FEMA botched the handling of Katrina, where Nagin and the Govenor wanted help or not...
I don't think any rational people think GWB was down at the levee wiring explosives himself...

the CIA did it for him

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

This is what we pay taxes dollars for IMO, to help those in need.
But neither one , Katrina nor ND, with get anything.
go outside of NOL, its still Afghanistan out there.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
This is what we pay taxes dollars for IMO, to help those in need.
But neither one , Katrina nor ND, with get anything.
go outside of NOL, its still Afghanistan out there.
Don't know why you'd say that. The entire state of ND has been declared a disaster area which means they're legally entitled to Federal Funds and assistance.

As bad as Fargo is, and it's pretty bad, this is not even close to Katrina.

-spence
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

go to La. you tell me, I've been there. I've nailed 2x4s in houses that had been under 20' of water, I've walked on slabs of concrete that had everything that was on it in piles of sorted %$%$%$%$ in the neighborhood streets waiting for months for the EPA to get rid of it. Those piles existed only because of volunteer groups that paid for their own efforts to come and assist in the cleanup because our government didn't have the wherewithal to see outside of the metro area and help their fellow citizens

Fargo has topped the all time recorded flood level of 40.1
with 42' above flood stage and stay there thru Wednesday night. That's worse than katrina. The only thing that makes it anyway near better is that less people live there.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
bssb
river rat

Quote:

Example, first 2 months of Obama's presidency stock market loses 1/3 of its value (not his fault) and yet it has a small rebound and Obama is credited by the drive-bys for it.. Total rubish
hey, your as crazy as I am. your just on the wrong side

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
with 42' above flood stage and stay there thru Wednesday night. That's worse than katrina. The only thing that makes it anyway near better is that less people live there.
I don't know if I'd judge the two based on flood height alone...

Bryan

Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #16
buckman

Obama's going to use this as more proof we need to carbon credits (taxes)

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/235048/
Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I don't know if I'd judge the two based on flood height alone...
Yeah one has ice the other had wind, how tall is your house?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Fargo has topped the all time recorded flood level of 40.1 with 42' above flood stage and stay there thru Wednesday night. That's worse than katrina. The only thing that makes it anyway near better is that less people live there.
Worse under what measurement, that the water was higher? That makes no sense.

When you look at the entire situation, Katrina is much worse in terms of net destruction and suffering.

The population makes a big difference here, as does the slow rise of the river which gives the National Guard, who are on the job, a good amount of lead time to manage the situation.

Sure if your life is upturned it sucks personally, but the thread is about why Obama isn't fixing the situation, which is just a bull%$%$%$%$ argument to fake outrage. Buck and Beans are sounding more and more like Air America every day...

-spence
Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
buckman

Quote:
Worse under what measurement, that the water was higher? That makes no sense.

When you look at the entire situation, Katrina is much worse in terms of net destruction and suffering.

The population makes a big difference here, as does the slow rise of the river which gives the National Guard, who are on the job, a good amount of lead time to manage the situation.

Sure if your life is upturned it sucks personally, but the thread is about why Obama isn't fixing the situation, which is just a bull%$%$%$%$ argument to fake outrage. Buck and Beans are sounding more and more like Air America every day...

-spence
My thread was somewhat in jest. I was just using it to point out a little bit of media hypocracy. Katrina turned into a major Bush failure, I feel because of the media's effort to drive that point home..

The National Guard are on the job because the Governor is not an idiot as was not the case for Katrina.

Fargo had the same set of options that New Orleans had they just chose to use them.

Last edited by buckman; 03-28-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
spence

Quote:
Fargo had the same set of options that New Orleans had they just chose to use them.
That's simply not true at all. Fargo has a population of about 100,000 residents compared to the millions in the Gulf area, not to mention the economic issues that made it more difficult for tens of thousands to evacuate.

This isn't to say that local officials aren't to blame for the Katrina mess, they certainly are...but you're comparing apples and oranges.

-spence
Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
bssb
river rat

if I remember correctly there were dead bodies in the streets of NO. I'm not sure that the two are comparable. I think the right is just looking for something to blame something on Obama. 9/11, Katrina, Iraq, the economy, all results of republican policies. It would be nice if they had something to blame on the new guy.

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #22
spence

Quote:
My thread was somewhat in jest. I was just using it to point out a little bit of media hypocracy. Katrina turned into a major Bush failure, I feel because of the media's effort to drive that point home..
Yes, it's all the media's fault

Katrina was a Bush failure because the Federal government let a massive breakdown in the state and local governments go unchecked for too long, allowing a very bad situation to get much worse. It's not like Mayor Nagin got a lot of great PR over the situation, the media made him out to be an idiot.

-spence
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #23
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssb View Post
if I remember correctly there were dead bodies in the streets of NO. I'm not sure that the two are comparable. I think the right is just looking for something to blame something on Obama. 9/11, Katrina, Iraq, the economy, all results of republican policies. It would be nice if they had something to blame on the new guy.
So now 9/11 was the result of Republican policies????

I mean we all know the Republicans caused Katrina
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #24
Cool Beans

The big difference I see here is local leaders took charge, made right decisions, and most importanly, the people arent sitting on their butts waiting for Uncle Sam to save them, they are hip deep in freezing water, working together to save what they can. And when it is all over they will put those same values and ethics to work, and rebuild it a lil better than it was before. The mindset of someone in most of the midwest and mountain states is totally different that that of the east coast. If they have a problem, they will work "together", not riot and loot each others homes..... That alone caused alot of the additional property and human casualties from Katrina. That and many of the cops and firemen, leaving. A good friend of mine is a cop there and he was left with 1/2 his guys, doing 10 times more work,, alot of it trying to prevent or stop looters as they didnt have a boat to rescue people, they tried to protect people and property. from looters. I guarantee you will not find a single case of looting a neighbors home in North Dakota.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
buckman

Quote:
Yes, it's all the media's fault

Katrina was a Bush failure because the Federal government let a massive breakdown in the state and local governments go unchecked for too long, allowing a very bad situation to get much worse. It's not like Mayor Nagin got a lot of great PR over the situation, the media made him out to be an idiot.

-spence
So Bush should have overrode the lack of leadership at the state level and sent in the National Guard? Remember we all thought for a day or two that New Orleans had been spared.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #26
buckman

Quote:
The big difference I see here is local leaders took charge, made right decisions, and most importanly, the people arent sitting on their butts waiting for Uncle Sam to save them, they are hip deep in freezing water, working together to save what they can. And when it is all over they will put those same values and ethics to work, and rebuild it a lil better than it was before. The mindset of someone in most of the midwest and mountain states is totally different that that of the east coast. If they have a problem, they will work "together", not riot and loot each others homes..... That alone caused alot of the additional property and human casualties from Katrina. That and many of the cops and firemen, leaving. A good friend of mine is a cop there and he was left with 1/2 his guys, doing 10 times more work,, alot of it trying to prevent or stop looters as they didnt have a boat to rescue people, they tried to protect people and property. from looters. I guarantee you will not find a single case of looting a neighbors home in North Dakota.
Well put.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
Nebe

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #28
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
striperman36
Old Guy

heineken in bottles tastes like crap anyway
Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
spence

Quote:
I think it's pretty safe to assume that the normal crime rate in Fargo, ND is dramatically lower than New Orleans, which I believe had the highest murder rate in the USA not all that long ago.

To assert that the people of Mayberry would repond differently to a natural disaster than say Gotham is quite an astonishing observation don't you think?

Funny thing is I grew up in Cedar Rapids, IA which was suffered greatly in the epic floods of last summer. They said the exact same thing about no looting there as well, up until the point when there was some looting.

Most of those still suffering are from the lower income housing that was gutted, and yes, the Public Library is a goner...but there was never a chance of 1000+ dead. 500 year floods don't do that, it has to rain for weeks and you have plenty of warning.

But no, it's easier to claim parity because it highlights a social gap responsible only by socialist policy that's entitled the poor and destroyed their sense of civic duty...right?

-spence