Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The fact that it's even a close race is a win for Dems.
If it turns out to be close, that does mean something. Right now the polls say it's close, but the polls also said Trump was going to get creamed. I am dubious of polls, as we all should be.

A close loss isn't "a win". It's problematic for the GOP in this district, it's not a win. A loss isn't a win, no matter how hard you try to spin it that way.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
A close loss isn't "a win". It's problematic for the GOP in this district, it's not a win. A loss isn't a win, no matter how hard you try to spin it that way.
Sure it is, it's why the GOP is sweating...

No desperation here, I'd just like to see Congress do their job and provide some oversight over a corrupt administration. I'd think all Americans would want this.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sure it is, it's why the GOP is sweating...

No desperation here, I'd just like to see Congress do their job and provide some oversight over a corrupt administration. I'd think all Americans would want this.
Of course they're sweating, the president's party almost always loses seats in the first midterm (I heard only 2 exceptions in the last 70 years, no idea if that's true), combined with the most offensive POTUS ever, combined with a media campaign against him, the likes of which we have never seen before. They'd be crazy if they weren't sweating.

"I'd just like to see Congress do their job and provide some oversight over a corrupt administration"

If the oversight was fair and accurate, I'd agree. Neither side is capable of that anymore. I have no idea what to believe, or what's true, or who is lying.

It's going to be fascinating to see how the midterms play out. Many competing trends at odds with each other (president's party usually takes a beating, but it's often about the economy, which is doing well).

I think the GOP gains senate seats, I can't see how the Dems don't gain house seats. Really curious to see what happens here in the People's Republic Of Connecticut, which has slowly turning to the right as people are finally getting tired of massive tax hikes and massive deficits every single year...