Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Stock market

I get this latest virus is potentially bad for those close to the source, but I don’t get why the market reacts the way it does to certain events, but that’s why I let someone else manage my funds. Big hit today wiped out a good month of gains.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The predominant thought is there is safety in cash, so sell off some stuff going into a weekend when there is no liquidity. But 99.999% of the money stayed invested.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
PaulS

One stock that I have is off like 30 bucks this week as they have production facilities in that region
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
detbuch

A lot of global trade can be blocked by a significant pandemic. And a massive rise of cases worldwide would put a huge strain on all the medical and financial resources. It is believed that the number of those infected in China is vastly greater than they have claimed. There is a projection that the number is over 100,000. And that China's closed system of aid and prevention being controlled and coordinated solely by its central government can't efficiently handle the problem. So that the spread of the disease could be quicker and much larger than anticipated.

That may not happen, but the fear of it can have an impact on investors.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
fishgolf

More likely is that analysts believe that the indexes are less likely to go much higher given Geo-political events and earnings in general, regardless of how Amazon, Tesla, Alphabet and Microsoft (others?) have performed.
That makes it time to take some profit...
Old 01-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

It wasn't driven by the public sector IMO. It was a steady sell off throughout the day. If the public comes in with massive sell orders, you would see greater movement in the last half hour. That kind of move will be muted by negative news over the weekend as the fund managers will be ahead of out of balance orders early Monday though. Significant volume increases should be monitored.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I get this latest virus is potentially bad for those close to the source, but I don’t get why the market reacts the way it does to certain events, but that’s why I let someone else manage my funds. Big hit today wiped out a good month of gains.
because much depends on cheap chinese labor and chinese consumer spending.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
More likely is that analysts believe that the indexes are less likely to go much higher given Geo-political events and earnings in general, regardless of how Amazon, Tesla, Alphabet and Microsoft (others?) have performed.
That makes it time to take some profit...
i think it’s smart to sell some
to lock in some gains. but it’s not like the market is crazy overpriced, a bubble waiting to pop. but a recession/correction is due.