Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-12-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
fishing bum wannabe

MrPogies fault

Recently I have been making some casting (bottle) swimmers without a duplicator. These need to be very accurate in order to have the correct and consistant action. To say the least, my reject rate for blanks has been high (30-50%). What are plugmakers without duplicators doing to make consistantly shaped plugs?

My lathe is an old Craftsman that cannot be easily fitted with a duplicator. It has a single round tube for the bed (and I'm too cheap to buy one).

This is all MrPogies fault. I was happy to turn a few popping plugs until I saw his work.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Ahhh, yes , the "it's all mrpogies' fault " inspiration syndrome
Some of these guys really do give us inspiration now don't they

Assinnipi, I think you really could add the dup. to your lathe without too much trouble if it is mounted firmly to a bench. You can mount the dup. to the bench also and fashion some kind of bolting device so it can be removed easily.
It is very hard to take the time you would need to take to get duplicates by eye and by constantly measuring. Those bottle swimmers and darters are 2 of the plugs that seem to be critical to have them close to exact duplicates.
good luck
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #3
fishing bum wannabe

Got no money

Slip,

At the moment I got no money. I got lots of blanks from Capesams, lots of grommets from JHabs and R Adam, and some nice looking hand pours from GotStripers. Next I need mountings for the blanks, after that hooks and wire for more plugs, then an Abu 6500C3 for the Batson 1088, maybe some goodies to trick out the ABU, Then maybe an Allstar 1209..... I would like a duplicator, but it is low on the list (at least at this moment).

fishing bum wannabe
Old 01-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
mrpogie

Thanks Fred, glad I could help. You should talk, I have enough things to do and now I have to make some of those neat little 1 oz. bottles you showed me. You did a great job on those. Thanks for the pics on the round nosed router bits for popper faces. I'm going to get some of those. ...mrpogie
mrpogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
Jigman

A cheap alternative to a duplicator is a set of calipers. Take real good measurements of a plug that works the way you want. After you round out the square stock, mark the reference lines on the blank and refer back to you measurement paper to how deep you need to cut. Check often with the calipers to get you to that depth. Will not be as acurate or quick as a duplicator, but you can get them real close.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

You can lay out the blank by marking the locations of the different diameters and then cutting them to size using your caliper anf parting tool. Now with a finished plug where you can see it blend in the diameters from one end of the plug to the other.
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #7
NEXT2NUN
Shorts and Sandals

Send a message via AIM to NEXT2NUN
Has anyone ever tried shooting boards as a duplicator? Mount a block of wood on your lathe base. Put two sides on it with the top half profile of your plug just above the horizontal center line of the lathe spindles. After you rough out the plug, install this back on the bed and just follow the profile with a sanding block or file. It sounds complicated but it works pissa. If you make the jig the same lenth as your blank it will be a lot easier to line up.
NEXT2NUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
fishing bum wannabe

It's still MrPogies fault

I got my duplicator built and running. But it's still MrPogies fault. If I wasn't so jealous of his bottle swimmers why would I do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	murat.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2633  

fishing bum wannabe
Old 01-23-2003, 12:07 AM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by NEXT2NUN
Has anyone ever tried shooting boards as a duplicator? Mount a block of wood on your lathe base. Put two sides on it with the top half profile of your plug just above the horizontal center line of the lathe spindles. After you rough out the plug, install this back on the bed and just follow the profile with a sanding block or file. It sounds complicated but it works pissa. If you make the jig the same lenth as your blank it will be a lot easier to line up.
Next2nun, I can't quite picture what you are describing. Can you elaborate further? Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #10
BassAssasin
-------------

I like that idea if what I am picturing is an accurate reflection of your description. How are you mounting the board to the bed of the lathe. clamps? Nice bottle plug

Last edited by BassAssasin; 01-23-2003 at 01:45 PM..
BassAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:07 PM   #11
NEXT2NUN
Shorts and Sandals

I have an old rockwell with a flat bed, so it's easy to clamp or bolt a base to. Make a base a little wider than the blank your turning so everything will clear .keep the base and sides the same lenth as the blank, so it is easy to line up. To the base mount two pieces of 1/4 ply or masonite, whatever is easiest to shape.Keep the height well above (1 or 2 inches) your centers.Mark the height of your center on the front board, draw a horizontal line across the board. Now to keep the profile part easy. Say we are making a 1" diameter by 7" long popper. Draw a line 1/2" above your centerline draw a curve down for the tail either by eye or make a paper template from a favorite. keep this centered so you won't be working close to the end of your blank. The nose of the plug has to be cut by hand at an angle after so it can just run long. Now that your profile is drawn. Take the boards off the base tape them together , cut along the centerline and around the plug profile, touch it with some sand paper so its straight and smooth. Mount this back on the base, and take it off the lathe.Turn the plug close to finish.You can hold the jig on the blank to mark the turn down for the tail. Now take the tool rest off or slide out of way and remount the jig.Hold a file or sanding block across from front to back and finish the plug , you can't take away to much material because the jig only lets you sand so much. Now mounting on a single pipe bottom lathe. Let the jig sides run down long to the bottom of the pipe. clamp to squeeze around pipe. just remember with your set up top of pipe=bottom of base to centerline. Sand with the lathe on slow speed. I think I could have made it faster than explaining it. If you need it maybe I can borrow a digital camera and post some pics. Good luck.Pete
Old 01-23-2003, 05:44 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Very good Thanks, I get it now. Very simple indeed.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:54 PM   #13
NEXT2NUN
Shorts and Sandals

Atta Boy. I thought maybe I should be applying for movie rights with the long reply.