Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

Cell Signal Black Holes

Why is it that my house, some friends' houses, and Wal-Mart, for example, have no Verizon signal? There's nothing like relaxing at home, and when the phone rings, having to run outside in two different sandals, a t-shirt, and underwear so that you can answer a call. What am I going to do in the winter? Anyways, is there any remedy for this? Especially at my own house...argh.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Babe
having to run outside in two different sandals, a t-shirt, and underwear so that you can answer a call. What am I going to do in the winter?
Well, if you're going to be running outdoors in your underwear, I think the best solution would be to move in next door to me.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i've got cingular- new black holes popping up everywhere. wish sat. phones were'nt so much $$ to use.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Pete_G

Especially in already marginal areas, being inside a building, in particular one with a lot of metal construction can be the last straw causing you to get no signal.

There's no real remedy other then to maybe stand near a window or find a strong spot in your house. Although it won't cause any instant change, it might be worth calling Verizon so they know about the weak area.

As a rule, Verizon is still the best in the area. They have the most towers by far and they operate at a lower frequency then most of the other carriers. The lower frequency punches into buildings and anything else that blocks the signal better then a high frequency. See if anyone else can actually get a signal in your house. I'd bet most people will be lucky to hear their phone ring.

Good luck finding a solution, my house used to be a weak spot and I either had to run outside half naked or stand near a window as well. Eventually Verizon built a tower in the area.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
MakoMike

I have t-mobile and find very few black holes in RI.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Redsoxticket

The signal strength at the tower may be lower or the signal to strength ratio is higher at the Verizon tower. Therefore, you can have more towers and it doesn't mean beans. Ask someone with a different carrier to use there phone at your house.
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #7
NaCl H2O

Don't know if this will be much help, but with it you can see how close the nearest tower is to your location.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/index.html
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
BigBo

I haven't actually tried this, so I can't say for sure if it's true. I'm pretty sure that if you stop by one of Verizons service centers, they can punch in a code onto your cell phone and it will update for any new cell towers that have gone up in the area.
Maybe worth a call to Verizon to see.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
Skip N

Not many problems with Nextel in 3 years using them. Only in Montana but thats to be expected i guess.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Backbeach Jake

They sell antenna with amplifier setups for home cell service. Sorta like having a mini tower in your attic.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote