Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Habs

12 years of his passing coming up on the 24th.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Yep

To this day I cannot look at a patterned Orange Hunting hat without looking to see if the Deer are making baby deer

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
pbadad

Geez time flies. I remember hearing of his passing coming off the Cuttyboat on that Sunday.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Geez time flies. I remember hearing of his passing coming off the Cuttyboat on that Sunday.

I had laid down around 5:30 after fishing all night when my phone keeps ringing and ringing. Pt Jude Joe kept calling me until I picked up and he gave me the news. Double whammy.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Mugz

I don't post much but I was compelled to write this in response to "Habs."
I frequent this local watering hole in my neck of the woods...been going there since I was old enough to drink (27 yrs ago!!). I go for a beer or two, rub elbows with the local townies each week when I have a chance. I speak to a guy who sometimes meets his brother in this fine establishment for a few pops, a couple games of Keno and the latest goings on. I have spoken to him many times (and his brother)...we always say "Hello" and small talk. This past weekend he happened to be at the bar with his brother...I had brought in a Plug I made for someone and it immediately caught his and his brothers eye. They approached me and asked if I made plugs...I said on occasion for friends or family and personal use. He asked me if I knew "Habs." I said I knew of him (not personally) and met him at fishing shows in the past. The brothers then said "We are his brothers!" One brother went out to his car and brought in a write up of Habs in the In-Fisherman...obviously something dear him. We spoke for awhile about it and apparently they had another brother that had passed way too early as well. Both of them seemed happy to have me speak highly of Habs work. I told them he will never be forgotten in the Plug making world as he has his legacy set in stone and his plugs are still admired and sought after today.
Small world...I am happy to have met them and will continue to see them occasionally I'm sure.

RIP Habs

Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

Great story,thanks for sharing that. John was one of a kind.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Habs, Clammer, John and a few of the early SBers at Hooters back in the day was always a fun night, good food, good scenery and lots of laughs.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Clammer

YEP bOB , some of the best … Zac ,pissing them off playing triver [sp] we had some crews at times …….. Tony.O. , Milo. Bluecrab , Toonic, F-18 , Tony , Casey & Kacie , & more that I can,t remember ><><>
one of the last times with a descent group ……… was with Habs ……….. and we had a good night , but we started to get upset with the female compertation checking out the waitdresses [sp] & it was getting to be to much so we left earlier than usual , everyone had left except John & I .we were B/S at the back of the truck & 3 or 4 car loads of a womans softball team came flying into the parking lot …………. we both said this is getting to F/m ...little did we know it was probably our last night going to Hooters

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
RickBomba

My last interaction with Habs was for a charity raffle for some kind of unicorn plug that I just had to have. I sent Habs the money, he called me on my landline (I literally was protesting having a cell phone at the time), and told me he was going to ship the plug on Monday.

He never made it to Monday...to this day I still believe that the stupid plug went to someone more deserving than me, which is probably what John would want.

Miss you man.

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
RickBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Glad I got to know John a little bit back in the day! I remember being in "The Line" at Race Point waiting for beach stickers with Habs and Bassmaster! I went down to Goose Hummock once as John was going to be there! I bought a half dozen needlefish from him and he gave me a Habs cap which I still own! We talked about getting together to fish but alas......it never happened. Gone too soon. He was a great guy.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #11
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugz View Post
I don't post much but I was compelled to write this in response to "Habs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Habs, Clammer, John and a few of the early SBers at Hooters back in the day was always a fun night, good food, good scenery and lots of laughs.
When we went in with the Striper Cup and the Hooter's Waitress comes over to brag that she won the Stripper Cup before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
YEP bOB , some of the best … Zac ,pissing them off playing triver [sp] we had some crews at times …….. Tony.O. , Milo. Bluecrab , Toonic, F-18 , Tony , Casey & Kacie , & more that I can,t remember ><><>
one of the last times with a descent group ……… was with Habs ……….. and we had a good night , but we started to get upset with the female compertation checking out the waitdresses [sp] & it was getting to be to much so we left earlier than usual , everyone had left except John & I .we were B/S at the back of the truck & 3 or 4 car loads of a womans softball team came flying into the parking lot …………. we both said this is getting to F/m ...little did we know it was probably our last night going to Hooters
Victor on the Tricycle

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Great story Mugz, thanks for sharing it.

Hab was a helluva guy, he is thought of and remembered often.

he could clear a room sometimes pretty easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old John bassmaster Habs.jpg (154.2 KB, 33 views)

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
In The Surf
Where'd he go?

Absolutely a great story, thanks for posting that mugz.

Not fishing nearly as much but always a Hab's or two in the bag when I do.

Who could forget the "turd" plug
In The Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
MrHunters
What was that!?!

I started here in 2005. I dont post much/at all anymore.. Life.. technology... all that.. I still come back to read from time to time. So many names here I hold close to what motivated me to fish harder.. Habs was one of them. I never knew him. I just knew the posts.. He contributed to why I still fish.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Mr Hunters! How the hell are you? Haven't seen you since the MV Derby about ten years ago..... Hope things are well.

John and I would talk dog training, as I had not begun to build plugs. He knew the breeder in Dartmouth I had gotten one of my yellow labs from. He did love his dogs and working with them.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote