Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Man down....

Went down yesterday while installing a storm door. Stepped out and down from entry and left foot slid forward as the 2x2 foam mat slid on either water or ice or both. Right leg, the one with arthritis and no ACL, folded underneath me and I landed on my back with my butt on my heel.... That knee has not bent that far in 45 years. Iced last night, but going to Dr this morning, and then presumably for MRI. This sux. Might force my hand into knee replacement.... Ankle hurts too.

I had to compose myself and install one closer and handle hardware while son packed up the tools and I headed for the ice pack.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
Raven

Arrow sorry Ross

i hope ya heal up without the knee replacement
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

YIKES
that sucks Ross
hope it gets better and take it slow

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
Guppy
User

Geeees,,,, sooner or later that knee will need u no what...
go slow, try and get fish season in then do it!
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
PaulS

That sucks Ross. Hoping for a quick recovery!
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Sea Dangles

Ross!
Time to shift gears out of work mode
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Ross I know you only know one speed - but downshifting is sometimes necessary when we get older. Good luck at Dr and recovery.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks all... MRI at 5:20pm today up in Newburyport. Will drop off a reel to Martha at Surfland beforehand, so something positive!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
PaulS

Ross, how did you make out what the MRI?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Haven't got results, but we know that I tore the PCL. Lost ACL 40 years ago. Only really one diagnosis and option. Now just have to get into a surgeon's office and on the schedule. And I would be thrilled to done with the pain from arthritis and bone on bone after doing PT for the replacement joint

Old 03-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Ouch - sucks having no ACL

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Health system is so phukked up.... You have to advocate for yourself at every turn, almost forcing you to be rude and pushy.
I have to call to check in for any cancellations morning and afternoon daily, or just wait ten days to get into the surgeon's office. It's not like this is elective surgery......

Old 03-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #13
Guppy
User

Ross
Took 3 months for me to get a 10 minute procedure to stop the pain from a pinched nerve in my neck,,, unbearable at times....
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So it appears that the only way to be seen right away is to call 911, get an ambulance, go to ER, and then be seen by surgeon..... Up at 0400 with the pain. Why is this so difficult in America today?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
So it appears that the only way to be seen right away is to call 911, get an ambulance, go to ER, and then be seen by surgeon..... Up at 0400 with the pain. Why is this so difficult in America today?

Hahaha - wait until we become a socialized country ; )

Doctor: "Your appointment will be in ten years from today"

Patient: "Morning or afternoon?"

Doctor: "What difference does it make?"

Patient: "Because the plumber is coming in the afternoon?"

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Guppy
User

Quote:
Next time it flares up I’m headed straight to the ER.....
Old 03-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The system is guiding me to be on oxy for two months while I wait for surgery?!?! This is nukking futz!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
Guppy
User

Quote:
The system is guiding me to be on oxy for two months while I wait for surgery?!?! This is nukking futz!
You might as well go in now, you ain’t going to get any work done...
Old 03-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I would gladly get up from this chair and drive to surgery this very minute. No problem. But I am being told first opening is March 28th..... And that is just in the office! Who knows how long before scheduling surgery... I am dead in the water.

Going to call more surgeons tmw.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #20
Sea Dangles

I am getting pretty good with the filet knife Ross.Let me know.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #21
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I would gladly get up from this chair and drive to surgery this very minute. No problem. But I am being told first opening is March 28th..... And that is just in the office! Who knows how long before scheduling surgery... I am dead in the water.

Going to call more surgeons tmw.
If you have a doc you usually see I’d talk to him and ask him for help.
Sort of like the homeowner looking for a plumber goes to his GC
Worked for me, but my brother is a doc. That helps too.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #22
JohnR

Quote:

Skip the Oxy. Not worth the risk.

When I blew out my knee I did it without hard drugs. Get what you can get which is not narcotic / opiate.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
PaulS

yes, I'd try to skip the oxy if you can.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #24
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Have yet to take an oxy since morning after... One week this afternoon since it happened... Getting my head wrapped around my new reality...

Insurance... there is a $1000.00 penalty (ie. lowered coverage) if I have surgery before a 30 day period from the "injury". Oh, that makes total sense to me.....

Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #25
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Ouch - sucks having no ACL
I have no ACL in my right knee. Gone 40 years ago. I also an bone on bone with osteoarthritis in the knee along with 6 bone spurs.
I get a shot of Synvisc every 6 months. Works for me plus Motrin 800 MG and Tylenol, taken at the same time per my orthopedic surgeon.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #26
Rmarsh

Hope all goes well for you Ross, and that the financial burden of not working combined with the insurance coverage shortfall doesn't add to your physical pain.
My wife had her "bad" knee replaced a few years ago and is very happy she did. I have a post surgery picture of her knee but it's kind of graphic.
Hang in there, and if you'd like to get out and do some boat fishing while you rehab and heal up just let me know.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #27
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Well I wish I had scheduled to have the replacement sooner... No question about the replacement being the right thing, as "the hay is already in the barn" according to the surgeon I saw. BUT... they never do the surgery to an acute knee, and mine is acute. Means I did so much tissue damage in the fall that I need to do 4-6 weeks of PT to prepare the knee for surgery.... If he does it now, when it doesn't have much mobility, it will not have the desired mobility after rehabbing the replacement joint... So I am in a timeout so to speak, before I can move forward. Doc has a two week vacation coming up, which pushed follow up appt out to May, which does not please me. So will get second opinion this week, and a second schedule so I can decide which one to go with. Start PT Monday afternoon. And cooking up a plan for work, be it driving/pick up/ delivery to other contractors, taking friends' family members to appointments, whatever. Just figuring it out. I really don't want to think about not launching the boat this season, but it is a very real possibility....

Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #28
Guppy
User

Ross, don’t rush this, surgery is a big deal, all that crap takes time and the more you behave the better the outcome...
Doc. Ray
Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #29
Guppy
User

Report?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #30
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I got home yesterday afternoon. Was still leaking quite a bit, even after drain line was removed, so that delayed release a couple hours. Just changed pressure dressing and still a little leak, but that is so much better than trying to get that blood out through PT only. Get pushing on that today after we get drainage controlled/answered. BM this morning... early excitement. No way I could be home alone. Wife has been awesome, as usual. MIL will occasionally ask why I am on crutches again... Will keep it brief with updates as I can report improvements that are truly milestones vs just little baby steps that I see. Get me some fishing/family/Memorial Day pics and reports, please