Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Calfarmli

Plug Painting

I would like to start to building a couple of the wooden plug kits.I would like to make it a winter project,Ireally don't want to get to exotic with the paint schemes just basic color on top fading to white on the bottom.I really don't want to spend to much money it is a cost saving measure and some enjoyment.Now the question is should I use spray cans to paint or get a reasonable air brush system.I see they have one that works off a can rather than a compresssor.What would be sufficent??????Thanks
Calfarmli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Your choice and preference, I have seen amazing paint jobs with spray paint. Why not try the rattle cans first and get a feel for them, and then move up to an air brush.
That way if you don't enjoy it, your only out a few bucks and not the whole air brush compressor system.
As for the airbrush that runs off the compressed air, similar to what is used for model cars, I would think that as the can got lower in volume that it would be harder to get the same consistent air pressure a compressor could provide, I may be wrong though, seeing as I have never used one. Maybe some others could provide input.
Any way good luck and provide some pics of the completed stuff!

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Seriously...start with rattle cans....you need to learn to spread the addiction out over time

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Seriously...start with rattle cans....you need to learn to spread the addiction out over time
What he said,,, get some kits from Salty and some krylon from Wally world,,,, and your in business,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
stripermaineiac

a couple tips on rattle cans. Ist be carfull mixing brands as some of them use a different mix and they don't mix well. Runs and bleeding can be a problem. 2nd you have a 1 hr window to second coat . after that you need to wait 24 hrs for next coat or you risk alligatoring in the finish. The drying agent will be coming out of the ist coat affecting the second coat.try some painting on a peice of cardboard to see how the coors mix. Temp and humidity are also a problem so be carefull of that.
I use mainly rattle can and the finish I get is sweet.Wait a day or so if your gonna epoxy coat for the best results.A little trick to fix ooopses is to spray some paint in a ziplock then use a qtip to paint it on the ooops to fix it. hope this helps. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

Oh by the way you get a different affect with the colors from a dark base coat to a light base coat. It's amazing the diffence you see putting blue over black or green compared to over white or yellow so have fun but cardboard works great to experiment on. Forgot to add that to last post Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
go4broke44

all I use is spray cans, once you get used to them, you can do some really cool stuff.
go4broke44 is offline   Reply With Quote