Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-04-2001, 08:29 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

Question Anyone ever surf fish Cuttyhunk?

I have been there a couple times to the bass meca, Cuttyhunk, sans fishing rod, but the tiny island is so small that it is walkable. In fact, a buggy is not recommended as there is not much of a road system. The last time I went there was on an Audubon tour of the Elizabeth Islands that did a day trip around the islands and a hike around Cuttyhunk. (well worth the time! Did you know that Forbes owns all the elizabeths except for cuttyhunk, the only homes their are his familys, the public is not welcome....cuttyhunk is 1/2 owned by the Spaldings (sports equipment family) who have one little house on the end of the island and 1/2 owned buy the public. The Islands bass history is mind boggling, and once you are there you can see why.

I am planning a 3 or 4 night trip this fall to give it a shot. Will post the results upon return.

Has anyone here ever shore-fished from the cuttyhunk? If so, any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 08:50 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I was on Cuttyhunk yesterday
Too bad it was only for a couple hours and I had to go back home

Bring a canal bike or a Golf cart

I can only imagine what it would be like to fish from shore there at night. Probably similar to Block Island maybe.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:01 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

CT Surfcasters has a shore tourney over there in the beginning of the June run... I am extremely envious...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:16 AM   #4
Mr. Sandman

Doing a web search once (looking for surf trips to cuttyhunk) I came across these guys and their site:
http://www.connecticutsurfcasters.com/cuttyhunk.html

They have some interesting photos and info on the place. Looks like they had a good time!

I feel my way around the island for a few days with my surf gear later this month.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 09:32 AM   #5
Marc Z
Who says there's no fish in CT

You guys beat me to it.
Yes our club has a trip to Cuttyhunk every year in June, this year it is in September. You guys have the link here already, check it out. Although I have not been able to get out there yet, some of the guys have been surfcasting there for years, maybe they'll give you some info. From what they tell me the fishing can be very good. You cannot bring a vehicle to the island, you have to walk wherever you go.
MZ
Marc Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 10:36 AM   #6
Roccus

surf fishing Cuttyhunk

Chuck Basse had an article in the August (I think) issue of On the Water mag that covered the good fishing spots around the island pretty well. Although it's focus was intended for boat anglers it should be useful for finding good shore locations as well...I've only fished it by boat but there's no reason a surf fisherman couldn't do real well down there. The trick is to get the boat in as tight as possible to the rocks...from the surf, you're already there...
The captains-of-industry that fished there around the turn of the century had platforms that extended out over the water & they used lobster tails for bait. I think 9" sluggos or live eels pitched into the surf might turn up some really interesting results...

Jerry Vovcsko\res ipsa loquitor
Roccus is offline   Reply With Quote