Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 07-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Thermostat replacement

Last month...on first startup of my outboard, I thought the pee stream was kind of weak, and the water seemed a bit warmer than usual.
Wasnt sure these were actual symptoms of a problem... but decided to replace the thermostat anyway...just in case.

Corrosion was evident......had to scrape a bunch off the engine where it attaches... while I held a vacuum to prevent all that crap from going down and into the block. Easy job to do that may have prevented something worse. I heard a saying that "you are the best outboard mechanic that you know" Not always true, but doing preventative maintenance yourself is well worth the effort imo.

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
Guppy
User

Amen to that !
Nice job Cap
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #3
Rockfish9

If you do a thermostat, water pump and popet valve every 3 years, you will never have a water pump failure( unless you are one of the idiots that insist on starting the motor without a water supply).. I've been preaching it for years.. I've made alot of money off of people that dont listen.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #4
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
If you do a thermostat, water pump and popet valve every 3 years, you will never have a water pump failure( unless you are one of the idiots that insist on starting the motor without a water supply).. I've been preaching it for years.. I've made alot of money off of people that dont listen.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Thanks... good to know....complete novice here trying to learn as much as I can .....I had to look up poppet valve.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Thanks... good to know....complete novice here trying to learn as much as I can .....I had to look up poppet valve.
Me too…. :-)
and the thing is I have those parts that came with a winterization kit once and didn’t know what it was ! Dah !

Thanks Joe

I just ordered a new lower unit today… ouch 😣
I’ll be land locked for a couple weeks anyway…. Except for Wayne’s tel calls :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote