Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Wanted; Line Boring machine

Figured I would ask here, since most of you have assorted machines in your shops.

I have about a dozen bookcases to build in the next month or so, and the most tedious part of the build is drilling the holes for the adjustable shelves. If anyone has or knows of a line boring machine that is for sale, or available for a "loan", please let me know.

Thanks,

Ross

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
kevinthegood

you can make a jig out of 1/4'' plywood, drill the holes where you want them, it will work for both the front holes and the back ones, put a piece of tape on drill bit, if i find the one i have i will give it to you at plugfest.
kevinthegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Ross just get a strip of pegboard and make a jig using the holes as a template, or buy a template,, put a depth collar on your drill bit and your in business,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

I built a jig and then did over 400

Rockler and others have templates
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

sorry ,like I said,sold that machine a year ago,oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthegood View Post
you can make a jig out of 1/4'' plywood, drill the holes where you want them, it will work for both the front holes and the back ones, put a piece of tape on drill bit, if i find the one i have i will give it to you at plugfest.
Better to use a stick of solid wood about 3" wide x 3/4" thick, drill your holes on the drillpress,then use that as a template. Put your bit in drill with a short block of wood on it so you don't go thru the side of the case,adjust length of block to set depth of hole another words. I use a 5mm bit bradpoint, most nice pins are 5mm, I think the old 1/4" leave too large a hole in an open set of bookcases.

goodluck Ross
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
scone

woodcraft has a plastic jig with a special bit made especially for the pegged adjustable shelves for about $40. works like a dream.
scone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Great White

Like Gattafish said....pegboard is easy and works well. I 've used successfully several times before. You just have to make sure you
register each piece correctly before you start drilling.
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks, guys. I have found a 48" jig I have used before, after rummaging around the mess my shop has evolved into... even has 1/4" dowels on either end to hold in line. Of course the only depth collar that is not in my index is the 1/4 5mm that I need. So I cut off a short length of 3/4" dowel, bored through the center, and used it to stop the bit at the proper depth.

I appreciate all your help and suggestions, but as Slipknot knows, when you have a dozen floor to ceiling bookcases to build, this is a time killer... I was just hoping to find a 13 hole line borer that would allow all the holes to be drilled in less than five minutes per bookcase.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote