Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

more to complain about

I just bought a new can of Hellsman's Spar Urethane and I get it home and open can and it stinks to high heaven, I then notice it is VOC compliant , not what I just finished using from last year. Doesn't seem like the same stuff. I'm bringing it back and i guess i will drive to RI to get some of the good stuff as i am told they don't have to be compliant to VOC law.

I also just bought some Krylon primer. I noticed it had a different cover, unlike last case i bought. I was worried as soon as I saw that and I had reason to be. Friggin stuff is not the same. It won't cover worth a crap and it stinks 10 times worse than stuff from last year. maybe they changed the product? Also they put this new fancy spray nozzle on the can and it sprays about a 2 foot wide pattern. I am doing 2" max dia. thing and don't need a 2' wide pattern so there is so much waste. Can't change to the old spray tip either as it has some new adapter thingy that will only allow the tip that came with it. What a friggin PIA. I am wondering if the spray paint has to be VOC compliant and that is why they changed product? Maybe i will have to search outside the state to find this product also. Just when you get comfortable using a sequence of products you got faith in they go and change both products i use and it is back to running all over hell trying to find the original products you prefer.

You RI guys notice any of these VOC compliant messages on your products. Anyone seen any of the older cans of Krylon out there, not the shapely, modern, top just the plain cylindrical shaped one that most cans use.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
fishbones

I work in RI and can pick you up some stuff to save you the trip if you want.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Raven

you better put on some ZAPPA when you make those plugs Paul

and change out the MOJO
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Grapenuts

sucks don't it...think it's time to get a spray booth set up with a reel spray gun and use reel paint....your right,this homeowner stuff is pure crap.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
BIG TIM

That sux! I too am a victim of the 'new' krylon primer. It SUCKS... your right it doesn't cover worth a tinkers damn and the nozzle sux too. Mine (2 cans) ended up spitting like a sob. Time to find a new primer.

IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING, YOU FALL FOR EVERYTHING
BIG TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
eskimo

The new krylon doesn't like the createx. The Createx seems to be too watery (even when not thinned) for it causing it to get soggy then you get the ol' bannana peel. I threw out every plug it happened too before I wasted hardware on it.

at first I was into the thin transparent coat it had because I thought it would dry without trapping anything under it. It didn't pan out that way.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

All rattle can companies changed their spray nozzerls to keep grafiti artists from buying the paint. They went to a different stem as well. Now all those fancy spray caps won't fit.
I used to spray all my plugs with rattle cans. I got good at it. I could spray the red cup on a popper free hand and not get any overspray on the plug. Now I can't do that anymore.
I guess it's time to use my airbrush.
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
All rattle can companies changed their spray nozzerls to keep grafiti artists from buying the paint. They went to a different stem as well. Now all those fancy spray caps won't fit.
I used to spray all my plugs with rattle cans. I got good at it. I could spray the red cup on a popper free hand and not get any overspray on the plug. Now I can't do that anymore.
I guess it's time to use my airbrush.
1) i am marking this day on my calander

2) Bill i can't wait to see what you paint with the airbrush

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
VTBasser
Veni, vidi, piscori!

Sounds like the same rational Walmart took Devcon off their shelves - because a couple of kids huff it. Now change spray cans because a couple of kids tag with it. Make crap mineral spirits and Helmsman because a couple of folks don't have the smarts to use with proper ventilation or respiration.

Let's just wrap everything in the whole world in foam and make everyone put on helmets, padded sumo suits, and giant foam mittens so we are all protected from our selves and each other.

Thanks for taking me fishing Grandpa!

SCP - Stephen's Custom Plugs .... (Not a company - just a mindset!)
VTBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Slipknot
Super Moderator

that blows
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
WoodyCT

Correct

There is no such thing as s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g. Materials under pressure are blown to areas of lesser pressure- never sucked from areas of pressure to low.

Sucked should here-to-for be replaced with "blowed".
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
splshnplug

Send a message via AIM to splshnplug
voc

i spoke with a manager from major paint store. he said we are going to have to do a lot of testing on all paint products sold in mass. because of the voc's they will be thinner and drying times will vary. he said a lot of people are complaining about the kiltz primers. just another thing the state of mass. is making things tough
splshnplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
jeffthechef
shut up and fish

i guess i'll go pick up some of the older stuff i see sitting around in various stores before this hits Ct.... i got pretty good with the spray cans, not in love with my airbrush....yet.
jeffthechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
splshnplug

Send a message via AIM to splshnplug
voc

most of what i've been told is the voc changes are seen mostly in the quart sizes and above
splshnplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

the helmsman spar, the sealer I use, is available in quart sizes that are not VOC compliant. It is the gallons that are. You can buy 4 quarts but it will cost several $ more but may be the only way to go. I guess i will start stocking up before they change them too.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 03-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
kevinthegood

professor m,
how can you tell if it's the new voc or the old version ?
something on the label ?
thanks
kevin
kevinthegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

on the Minwax Helmsman spar urethane yes it is clearly marked on the front label. 350 V.O.C. compliant .. Old stuff has nothing in that area of the label.
Spray paint it doesn't say so on the Krylon primer and I am not even sure that is the cause to the product being so crappy now, but think it may be the cause. I noticed the change in the shape of the cover and knew something was up. I used the product and was very dissapointed in the results. Pure crap IMO

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
kevinthegood

thank you professor m
kevinthegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #19
Raven

a giant outdoor padded cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBasser View Post
Sounds like the same rational .

Let's just wrap everything in the whole world in foam and make everyone put on helmets, padded sumo suits, and giant foam mittens so we are all protected from our selves and each other.

i can actually envision that......and thanks for the laugh
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote