Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Paul, for the heck of it I googled jamoke… I think this is funny..

“derive from a dialectal Italian (Neapolitan or Sicilian) word giamope.

and we’re having sausage peppers and onions on hard crust bread tonight….. soooo good…
This. Is. Awesome.

Paulie is related to the entire Sicilian island.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:29 PM   #32
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This. Is. Awesome.

Yup ! Mine came from the boot…..
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #33
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Paul, for the heck of it I googled jamoke… I think this is funny..

“derive from a dialectal Italian (Neapolitan or Sicilian) word giamope.

and we’re having sausage peppers and onions on hard crust bread tonight….. soooo good…
My uncle claimed that it was the name of a glue factory candidate thoroughbred that ran low value claiming races at Narragansett Park and Suffolk Downs. But both are probably true. Online sources cite both giamope and that it's a combination of java and mocha referring to a particular type of coffee, so that might be the reason for the race horse's name.

I always preferred jabroni myself as a term for some mopey dude..

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #34
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Just read a report that there were six, six pogie netters in Salem this morning with nets out before 0500...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #35
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Why do you even pay any attention to the jamokes????
ya know Pauli, if this was a Audubon web sight I might get it.. this is a fishing web site, more specifically a striped bass web site. There is finger pointing all around us every day in everyday life Ross is trying hard to get everyone talking a little.... I just want one place we can go, talk about fishing with out a bunch of crap.. I've had New Hampshire marine biologist and students from UNH doing tagging and DNA and scale samples , I've hosted mass Fish and wild life biologists for the same, 5 years ago I had 2 gents from Maryland DNR doing tagging... I care about these fish.. enough about that..

I took a few pictures of my fish finder that can illustrate location and why, how I set up on the edge of a hole also the split screen you can actually see a fish rise up to grab the jig.. also have a shot of the hooks and the ARC de hooker I use to release the fish boat side..

I tossed in a picture a a huge egg bearing lobster... she had a notch in every segment of her tail.. I guess she's had many a fee meal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220711_194642.jpg (112.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20220709_084721.jpg (105.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpeg Resized_20220709_113059.jpeg (148.9 KB, 37 views)

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:42 AM   #36
Rockfish9

Last night, not as much fun, combination, of wind, commercial night and the Googan factor had the only place fishable looking like the harbor scene from caddy shack..there were plenty of fish, and it probably would have been a good night if their noggins weren't getting buzzed by propellers, I had lines run over twice, ran kn radar to avoid the knuckle heads with no.lights.. I stuck out the tide but got my first goose agg of the season, hind sight, I should have went up river, it's all salt now until the bottom if the tide, big tide pushes those fish way up..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-12-2022, 08:32 AM   #37
Clammer

RF9

We did have a site ACTUALLY a place .it was really a tots full of fun ><> I,ve brought up a few times but like everything else
its gotten older
But finf ZAC an its probably ago until he pisses them off an maybe thrown out ><><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #38
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
RF9

We did have a site ACTUALLY a place .it was really a tots full of fun ><> I,ve brought up a few times but like everything else
its gotten older
But finf ZAC an its probably ago until he pisses them off an maybe thrown out ><><>
I remember Mike.. it sucks to get old.. but I just want to go fishing and forget about all my adult problems..

Up date On my buddies ruined life.. he didn't buy a boat YET.. but texted me to tell me he just paid for a slip at my marina for next season... that poor #$@%*^%##^^^"^&: ..

Old 07-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #39
beamie

Up date On my buddies ruined life.. he didn't buy a boat YET.. but texted me to tell me he just paid for a slip at my marina for next season... that poor #$@%*^%##^^^"^&: ..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE]

Yes his life is ruined
But when this happens to regular fishing buddies. Well now your fishing alone again most of the time

I’m sure you mostly fish alone many times as do I and enjoy it but sometimes nice to share a laugh.

I have a good friend who still hasn’t given up smokin. I say I’m not worried about you..... it’s me I’ll have to find another fishin partner. Hasn’t helped to stopping progress thou.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #40
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Yes his life is ruined
But when this happens to regular fishing buddies. Well now your fishing alone again most of the time

I’m sure you mostly fish alone many times as do I and enjoy it but sometimes nice to share a laugh.

I have a good friend who still hasn’t given up smokin. I say I’m not worried about you..... it’s me I’ll have to find another fishin partner. Hasn’t helped to stopping progress thou.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE]

you are correct, %95 of the time I fish alone, I like the freedom of doing what I want , the way I want, and going home when I want with out the feeling that I need to find someone fish..

My buddy put his Nitro on Craigs list Sunday.. it's already sold..his Senko pitching crappie jigging days are on hold I guess..

Old 07-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #41
Clammer

the older ya get / the harder to find a {good] fishing partner

since Denny passed away two years ago .........its been impossible

at the age you lose friends not make them ..

I fished more when I was 5 then I can /do not
>>>..................................not a happy old Timer

&&&&&&&&& this fu ck in heat SUCKS ....I really can,t go out

I dehydrate in the night never mind sun

something with my meds an sun .doctors don,t seem to know or

call ........ I havn,t sweat in over 5 years ...............#^&#^&#^&#^& in I,m pissed / really really pissed

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 07-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #42
Linesider82

Quote:
Why do you even pay any attention to the jamokes????
If I'm the jamoke, thanks. Paul have you fished in the last decade? Golf doesn't count. Just asking.

Here's my report, surf fished and the bass hit like the tide. It was slow, 7 fish from just over slot to 38lbs. I used weighted circle hooks size 10/0 with eels, dead eels that I vac sealed alive after a hard skunk from a previous outing. When I fish live eels I fish a 5/0-6/0 circle because that's how I learned it.

"If you golf more than you fish, you might be a Jamoke" - Jeff Foxworthy

-Matt (the Jamoke who doesn't golf)
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #43
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I guess I'm a proud Jamoke, because I now golf more than I fish, it's just a matter of priorities changing with age. I personally hate the gym, so walking 18 holes three times a week is my gym, but I do miss those days out on my boat with friends or family. The last couple years have really put a damper on travel, first it was covid and now for me it's the price of gas. It's not that I can't afford it, but I've caught a zillion fish over my years and I just don't have that I've got get out there regardless attitude any longer. Did slip into my waders this morning, no love, but nice sunrise. I do have fleeting moments where I feel guilty for not getting out there in my yak and then I think why, I've got other interests to keep me busy.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #44
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
the older ya get / the harder to find a {good] fishing partner

since Denny passed away two years ago .........its been impossible

at the age you lose friends not make them ..

I fished more when I was 5 then I can /do not
>>>..................................not a happy old Timer

&&&&&&&&& this fu ck in heat SUCKS ....I really can,t go out

I dehydrate in the night never mind sun

something with my meds an sun .doctors don,t seem to know or

call ........ I havn,t sweat in over 5 years ...............#^&#^&#^&#^& in I,m pissed / really really pissed
I know how you feel buddy. You remember my fishing buddy Drew Gordon who fished with me most weekends, it was a sad day when I learned he was getting married and moving to Arkansas. We fished together any time schedules and work permitted, in three different boats over the years and a lot of great days on the water. Fishing just wasn't quite the same after, sure I still enjoyed being on the water, but sometimes it's that friendship which is just part of the experience you relished the most.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:46 AM   #45
Clammer

Amen Bob

My 1st partner was a life long friend .he got married an [she] wanted me to join the family [physically] end of that relationship.

My wife was my 2nd .until the 2nd kid

the 3td was Earl who they call the [bear] he was like my father

I never really figured him out << {mY FATHER} he taught me

most of what I know about shellfishing ........... he was a watermans waterman .i loved that guy .................................................. ..... funny . he smoked I didn,t

I drank he rode in circles when I was hung over ........ we fished before an afterwork an weekends seven days a week ,
we trusted eact other it was crazy
His wife had kidney problems an lupus .... eventually she ended up on dialys [sp] she had three kidneys transplants ....................... he went digging on a sunday morning /came home

cut the grass .went inside had a
tea & pie ..went an put this dishes in the sink.hit the floor dead ................. my drinking really went out of control

years later .sheila got cancer ...... then I got cancer .........found S/B

she died .My cancer came back .remission ........... spent alot of time with people from this site .....finally met denny .great guy
did all kinds of fishing ........... some guys didn,t want to take

him fishing cuz he had so many medical issues .I told them

he wants to fish .......... I asked his wife for her cell number in
case he drops in the boats ............tough, at times grumpy guy

we fished on the 17 of NOV . bang he died on the 24th of December .

His wife said she would help find me a partner ...I told her it was more difficult than finding a wife ...........you have to have more in common than a marriage // Trust an dependabilty

last couple of years have kinda sucked ........there is one person I really have to say THANK YOU an thats Joe Fig from this site .......... he has made it possible for me to fish some that last two years . he has has work an a family , but has time to help me get out
{LIKE I don,t know hes picking my brain ]] LOL an also just plain help me he is a FRIEND in another world we may have been partners .but 30+years difference we are way apart in the other parts of life .
thanks to someone or thing that I still have memories ......... I,ve had a great ride ..... still wanna fish an dig . see the family .but

i,m ready /if I go today /its been a great ride . to do over .................... I may have put marriage on hold ......... an had sex til the end of time if I had to take a break then it would have been fishing ><> sorry but the rant ,but I don,t an cant go out in the heat so this is the 3rd date with a forecast lasting 5 or 6 ore days ................

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 07-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #46
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
This. Is. Awesome.

Thanks Jeff.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #47
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
If I'm the jamoke, thanks. Paul have you fished in the last decade? Golf doesn't count. Just asking.

Here's my report, surf fished and the bass hit like the tide. It was slow, 7 fish from just over slot to 38lbs. I used weighted circle hooks size 10/0 with eels, dead eels that I vac sealed alive after a hard skunk from a previous outing. When I fish live eels I fish a 5/0-6/0 circle because that's how I learned it.

"If you golf more than you fish, you might be a Jamoke" - Jeff Foxworthy

-Matt (the Jamoke who doesn't golf)
Yes, I fish. I fish for trout on a flyrod. I do not fish for Stripers except in the Fall and every year i make a one week trip to The Block to surf fish for Bass.
I did not specifically call you a Jamoke. I was referring to people who are criticizing RF9 for catch in Bass and releasing them.

Now if you want to ask why I am not a 100 night a year Striper fisherman anymore I will tell you. It's quite simple: I have killed, injured, hooked and lost enough Bass to last a lifetime. I just choose to let them be except once a year on The Block and that's more about being there in November with a couple of close friends and enjoying the solitude.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #48
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Now if you want to ask why I am not a 100 night a year Striper fisherman anymore I will tell you. It's quite simple: I have killed, injured, hooked and lost enough Bass to last a lifetime. I just choose to let them be except once a year on The Block and that's more about being there in November with a couple of close friends and enjoying the solitude.
That's pretty much why I walked away from fishing bass 11 years ago. Nothing left to prove, and tricking, and then scaring the living crap out of dumb things with brain the size of a walnut just wasn't fun anymore. It's a noble fish, and they deserved my respect after all of the joy they provided over 50+ years.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #49
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
That's pretty much why I walked away from fishing bass 11 years ago. Nothing left to prove, and tricking, and then scaring the living crap out of dumb things with brain the size of a walnut just wasn't fun anymore. It's a noble fish, and they deserved my respect after all of the joy they provided over 50+ years.
Well said Mike.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #50
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I guess I'm a proud Jamoke, because I now golf more than I fish, it's just a matter of priorities changing with age. I personally hate the gym, so walking 18 holes three times a week is my gym, but I do miss those days out on my boat with friends or family. The last couple years have really put a damper on travel, first it was covid and now for me it's the price of gas. It's not that I can't afford it, but I've caught a zillion fish over my years and I just don't have that I've got get out there regardless attitude any longer. Did slip into my waders this morning, no love, but nice sunrise. I do have fleeting moments where I feel guilty for not getting out there in my yak and then I think why, I've got other interests to keep me busy.
As we age our priorities change. I had a birdie yesterday on a hole on one of the most challenging private courses in New England. It was as good as catching a 50.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #51
Guppy
User

Quote:
Amen Bob

My 1st partner was a life long friend .he got married an [she] wanted me to join the family [physically] end of that relationship.

My wife was my 2nd .until the 2nd kid

the 3td was Earl who they call the [bear] he was like my father

I never really figured him out << {mY FATHER} he taught me

most of what I know about shellfishing ........... he was a watermans waterman .i loved that guy .................................................. ..... funny . he smoked I didn,t

I drank he rode in circles when I was hung over ........ we fished before an afterwork an weekends seven days a week ,
we trusted eact other it was crazy
His wife had kidney problems an lupus .... eventually she ended up on dialys [sp] she had three kidneys transplants ....................... he went digging on a sunday morning /came home

cut the grass .went inside had a
tea & pie ..went an put this dishes in the sink.hit the floor dead ................. my drinking really went out of control

years later .sheila got cancer ...... then I got cancer .........found S/B

she died .My cancer came back .remission ........... spent alot of time with people from this site .....finally met denny .great guy
did all kinds of fishing ........... some guys didn,t want to take

him fishing cuz he had so many medical issues .I told them

he wants to fish .......... I asked his wife for her cell number in
case he drops in the boats ............tough, at times grumpy guy

we fished on the 17 of NOV . bang he died on the 24th of December .

His wife said she would help find me a partner ...I told her it was more difficult than finding a wife ...........you have to have more in common than a marriage // Trust an dependabilty

last couple of years have kinda sucked ........there is one person I really have to say THANK YOU an thats Joe Fig from this site .......... he has made it possible for me to fish some that last two years . he has has work an a family , but has time to help me get out
{LIKE I don,t know hes picking my brain ]] LOL an also just plain help me he is a FRIEND in another world we may have been partners .but 30+years difference we are way apart in the other parts of life .
thanks to someone or thing that I still have memories ......... I,ve had a great ride ..... still wanna fish an dig . see the family .but

i,m ready /if I go today /its been a great ride . to do over .................... I may have put marriage on hold ......... an had sex til the end of time if I had to take a break then it would have been fishing ><> sorry but the rant ,but I don,t an cant go out in the heat so this is the 3rd date with a forecast lasting 5 or 6 ore days ................

You love it…. I wish it was me…. It’ll be fall soon Mike , stay cool
Old 07-14-2022, 12:48 PM   #52
saltyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I had two instances of tuna busting and a whale, all in the same morning no more than five miles out last weekend. Forget which day. Figures, I sold my 50Ws last year...
Tuna fishing has been silly good. We've been chasing the 50" class fish around. 10 plus hook ups the weekend before last on spinners, two this past weekend. I put a couple of pics up on IG. The bass fishing has been great around the pogie schools, I havent had much luck around the rocks. A few nice fish on plugs from the boat and I have seen a few blues around......thats about all I got

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #53
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyric View Post
Tuna fishing has been silly good. We've been chasing the 50" class fish around. 10 plus hook ups the weekend before last on spinners, two this past weekend. I put a couple of pics up on IG. The bass fishing has been great around the pogie schools, I havent had much luck around the rocks. A few nice fish on plugs from the boat and I have seen a few blues around......thats about all I got
I heard you got spooled on a bass rod and reel...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #54
saltyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I heard you got spooled on a bass rod and reel...

Yeah, that was a few weeks back

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:44 AM   #55
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

My son sent pic of his new personal best and he doesn’t understand why I don’t want to come fish in the Boston madness. I’ve never enjoyed the zoo that is the Boston fishing scene and if what OTW just posted is true, there are a lot still practicing the snag and drop style of fishing with all the bunker and large around. I told him when he shifts his focus south I’m happy to join him. I teased him by saying he has twenty to thirty lbs to go before he gets to three of my biggest, which is one reason I just have no burning desire to go get one more, rather get a big sea bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 26D9F549-95DD-470B-950A-C2B35D8B088F.jpeg (926.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-15-2022, 05:40 AM   #56
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
My son sent pic of his new personal best and he doesn’t understand why I don’t want to come fish in the Boston madness. I’ve never enjoyed the zoo that is the Boston fishing scene and if what OTW just posted is true, there are a lot still practicing the snag and drop style of fishing with all the bunker and large around. I told him when he shifts his focus south I’m happy to join him. I teased him by saying he has twenty to thirty lbs to go before he gets to three of my biggest, which is one reason I just have no burning desire to go get one more, rather get a big sea bass.
He looks like you, no, the fish …. ;-)

Nice fish

I’ll probably not trailer up there this season,,,, fuel is a bitch !
Old 07-15-2022, 06:24 AM   #57
Rockfish9

No storms for us last night , turned out to be a beautiful night on the water, stayed local and never left the river, just me and a hand full of Kayaks... a lot of fussy fish stuffed full of pogies I had one with a tail hanging out of its mouth, most had fat bellies ) just lazing along the flats, not overly interested in feeding… landed seven slots from 29 to 33" and one big gal around 30 lbs, all on eels, was back at the dock by 10:30.. had my first gut hooked fish last night, I suspect it was because I was already fighting a fish and the boat was drifting and there was no pressure on the line.. the hook was in the soft tissue in the roof of the mouth, pretty easy to remove no blood.. she was young and strong, I have faith.. water warmed a tad, was 65 at half tide in...

bugs and bass in the morning tomorrow..

Old 07-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #58
Steve K

Spent most of June on BI. Fished the full moon week and the biggest was just over 18# on plugs. My usual spots didn’t produce at all. Had to fish areas of the island I haven’t fished in years. Many of the fish hit with a 3’ of the beach. I thought of Steve Shiraka (sp?) during one of his presentations I attended said to not give up on your retrieve. The first fish scared the crap out me. Also had a bird buzzing me and shrieking at me in the middle of the night beneath the cliffs. Talk about disconcerting.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:37 PM   #59
t_man7

Quote:
Jeff, there’s a plug I turned in the mail for you. Tight lines
t_man7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:22 AM   #60
Rockfish9

bite slowed down a bit in the river this week, I only fished 2 nights, the size was good, several in the 30 lb range.. a lot of "Rats" keyed in on sand eels.. water temp still frigid , 56 in spots at high tide.. fish in cold stuff wont feed, find the 65-68 degree water and it's game on.