Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #31
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Your challenge is predicated by the idea that I moved to Beijing on a whim. A responsible person would start learning a language as soon as they decide (or are told, in the case of business) that they are moving to a new country.
And you're assuming they have the means and educational opportunity to learn a new language. If your company is sending you, or you are moving, you are buying Rosetta software or taking classes to learn... should they have be trying to learn? Yes. Does everyone? No, but I figure it is human nature that different people will put forth different effort.
Should they have to take a written test on grammar and writing? most Americans would fail...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #32
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What I find even more astounding is how the Conservative movement in this country was (and to a degree still is) completely hoodwinked by neoconservatism.

Imagine Washington and Jefferson in an online critique the Bush Doctrine

I can just see GW throwing his wooden teeth at the webcamera shouting "9/11 changed everything my ass"!
That last line had me laughing, funny but true.

Hell, I'm sure the Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves at what both sides of the aisle have done.

For instance, the Right to Bear Arms, was intended to mean that people could wear short sleeved shirts.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #33
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
There are a lot of people who would agree that wiretapping mosques is a prudent action because most terrorists are Muslims.

Unfortunately it's also racist, immoral, illegal and goes against the very fabric that our nation was founded on.

Militant Islamists use the argument that the West is out to destroy Islam as a primary tool to gain sympathy from moderates and push those on the fringe toward the dark side.

Asserting that all Muslims are suspects because of their religion and culture, by those who also claim that adhering to the rule of law gives unique legitimacy, it completely hypocritical and plays into the hand of those wishing to incite terrorism.

By starting this thread you may have very likely helped to bring on another attack.

Good job.

-spence
I'll assume your last part is a joke. At least I hope it is. Cowering in a corner and not confronting terorrism will not work.

Did it work with the bullies back in school? You had to smack them in the mouth. Right? Same applies here.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'll assume your last part is a joke. At least I hope it is. Cowering in a corner and not confronting terorrism will not work.

Did it work with the bullies back in school? You had to smack them in the mouth. Right? Same applies here.
The example set by the fake email asserts that since the south side of town is where the bullies tend to come from, you should smack everyone from the south side of town. It's a preemptive action, hell, it's a preventative action!

This might have worked during the British Empire when it was considered fine and jolly right to wipe out a people if they were a perceived threat to the crown. But we live in a country where all people have rights by design, it's sort of the thing that made the good old USA a bit unique 200 years ago.

This isn't a black or white decision. Anyone who believes we need to compromise our beliefs to ensure our safety, doesn't seem to have much faith in the American system or American people.

And where does all this "cowering in a corner" crap come from? Seems to be a worn out device used by some when they either run out of ideas, or just don't get it.

-spence
Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
buckman

The fact that a certain group of people are by far resposible for the vast majority af terrorist attacks across the globe can not be denied.... And no Nebe I'm not talking about America.......If you think leaving them alone or bending over and taking the bombings passively will stop them, I'm sorry but your an idiot. I guess my question would be.... Whats do you suggest we do when they kill your children?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #36
detbuch

Are you saying that Radical Muslims are gangsters with guns and that we should give them our goods rather than standing up to them? Actually, it's probably best to have laws that discourage gangsters with guns rather than waiting to be confronted by them. And when they do show up, not to treat them so nicely as to encourage them to continue about there ways.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #37
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
when you read that Indian villages were wiped out by disease, most of that was due to sexually transmitted diseases due to rape of the woman by the settlers. We all know the nice pilgrim story, but this country was settled by some pretty slimy characthers looking to make a fast buck. Its still the home I love though.
My wife and I have thought of moving to Australia, she has family there.
Gee, I didn't know small pox, measles where sexually transmitted.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #38
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Telling a gangster "I'm not afraid of you and your gun" is a good way to get shot.

Not a good way to go through life.
Are you saying that Radicall Muslims are gangsters with guns and that we should give them our goods? Actually it's probably better to have laws that discourage gangsters with guns rather than waiting to be confronted by them. And when they do show up, not to treat them so nicely as to encourage them to continue about their ways.