Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Bronko

NY Times doesn't see the "Change"

Interesting piece. One of many who are looking at the bright smile and smooth style they voted for thinking.... when is the change coming?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us...ef=todayspaper

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
spence

There must be an evil motive behind this.

We all know the Mainstream Media is in love with Obama, rigged the election and will do everything in their power to promote Obama policy (i.e the way things should be), abortion and the disembowlment of Santa Claus.

That being said I'd take these words from the troop hating NWT with a serious grain of salt.

-spence
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Bronko

There is just so much going wrong right now everybody's head is spinning.

So let me get this straight, they can tax the living crap out of us, but behind closed doors these hypocrites say f*ck you to the IRS?

Another one bites the dust.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
spence

To be quite serious, I don't think you see the forest through the trees.

Obama has set higher standards for appointments than any recent President, if perhaps any in modern history.

The vast majority have been of top quality and had no issues. Yes, there have been a few high profile candidates with issues, who have been turned away or deemed worthy enough to be confirmed by the Senate in bi-partisan votes.

Does this make Daschle a hypocrite? Yes, it certian't has the potential to...but that doesn't make Obama one. In fact it's the standards by which Daschle is being measured that reflect more on Obama in a positive light.

I think when you actually look at the makeup of his Cabinet it's quite impressive regardless of where you stand.

This assumes you've actually taken a look, and not just read some liberal media hit piece.

-spence
Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Obama has set higher standards for appointments than any recent President, if perhaps any in modern history.

The vast majority have been of top quality and had no issues. Yes, there have been a few high profile candidates with issues, who have been turned away or deemed worthy enough to be confirmed by the Senate in bi-partisan votes.

Does this make Daschle a hypocrite? Yes, it certian't has the potential to...but that doesn't make Obama one. In fact it's the standards by which Daschle is being measured that reflect more on Obama in a positive light.

I think when you actually look at the makeup of his Cabinet it's quite impressive regardless of where you stand.

This assumes you've actually taken a look, and not just read some liberal media hit piece.

-spence
Liberal media hit piece???? Now I have heard it all.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
fishbones

Quote:

-spence
Spence, with all due respect, Obama is going to be scrutinized far more than any President in history. Shame on him for not having better information (which surely is available to him) and acting on it to prevent something like this. When I hire people to be managers, I tell them that I'm going to do a thorough background check including criminal history and credit check. Then, I ask them if there's anything they would like to tell me about before going forward. I doubt that Daschle was unaware of his little tax snafu. And as far as "the vast majority" of his Cabinet having no issues, please don't try to spin it like it's o.k. that some selections have serious issues. In this day and age, EVERY SINGLE ONE must be clean as a whistle. Obama is judged on the company he keeps, so he better do a better job of screening his potential Cabinet members.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
spence

And Obama came right out and admitted they f'ed this one up!

The Bush Administration would have blamed the entire thing on the Mainstream Media, claimed "their" actions are going to kill more Americans and just place the person in a lower position and move them up secretly when the dust had settled.

-spence
Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

nice try spence.
You have truly crossed over to the liberal whacko camp.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
And Obama came right out and admitted they f'ed this one up!

The Bush Administration would have blamed the entire thing on the Mainstream Media, claimed "their" actions are going to kill more Americans and just place the person in a lower position and move them up secretly when the dust had settled.

-spence
Shame on you, Spence. Trying to diminish any criticism of your savior by bringing Bush into the argument. I thought you were above that. Please effort to keep things on point. This is not about Bush, it's all about the new President and his poor decisions about who he surrounds himself with.

Maybe this is the lack of experience coming to the surface with Obama. If so, he may learn from it and be more careful in the future. If he knew about Daschle and Geitner before selecting them, this country could be in for a long 4 years.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
EarnedStripes44

In his defense, he did admit he screwed up. How much should one shame someone who has expressed regret and wants to facilitate redress.

All this talk of infallibility and whistles, none of us are perfect. It is indeed troubling what people can hide but to what end does this corrode those dynamics that lie entirely outside the scope of the issue. Quite frankly, I was more concerned with the ethics behind Daschle's coziness with several health insurance companies and why he is getting the free limo service in the first place. What favors does that entail. Its the culture that frightens me, and washington's poisoned culture of influence peddling knows no partisan boundaries. There are things Obama and Daschle did not see eye to eye on, and he wanted to show the health insurance lobby that he is willing to compromise. Well Daschle did not work out, he expressed regret, so I think the natural progressive nature of things is to move on. To say this is just a sign of the next 4 years comes off as a bit abortive. Obama has done some things in the past 3 weeks that should have been done years ago. This is another classic case of the news providing us with a story with far more bark than bite.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post

Well Daschle did not work out, he expressed regret, so I think the natural progressive nature of things is to move on. To say this is just a sign of the next 4 years comes off as a bit abortive. Obama has done some things in the past 3 weeks that should have been done years ago. This is another classic case of the news providing us with a story with far more bark than bite.
Move on? It's a good idea to move on when it's the Democrats screwing up, but when it's a Republican, they can still be bashed years later? Isn't this some sort of a double standard. "Let's just act like this little indescetion never happened".

As I stated earlier, Obama is going to be more closely scrutinized than any President in history based on where the country is right now. So far, he's had a less than stellar first couple of weeks. He should be called out when he screws up just as anyone else would be. There's no need for people to make excuses for him or rationalize why he did what he did. President of the United States of America is the highest elected office in the world and should be treated as such.

And if you re-read my earlier statement, I didn't say this is a sign of things to come. I said that it could
be a long four years if he isn't more careful with the people he surrounds himself with. I'm more than willing to give him time to show what he can do and I'm hoping his Presidency is an unqualified success.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Move on? It's a good idea to move on when it's the Democrats screwing up, but when it's a Republican, they can still be bashed years later? Isn't this some sort of a double standard. "Let's just act like this little indescetion never happened"
What more is there really to say about the issue. The guy withdrew his name out of the hat because He cheated on his taxes. It came to light and the chief executive took personal responsibility. He admitted he "screwed up". That admission in itself is like a cool breeze in a stuffy attic. However, were not exactly talking about subversion of the constitution or anything. Before we play victim, lets wait for the felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
He should be called out when he screws up just as anyone else would be.
He has and he will. After all, he is going to be the most scrutinized president in history. Sad this scrutiny found itself 8 years too late.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post

He has and he will. After all, he is going to be the most scrutinized president in history. Sad this scrutiny found itself 8 years too late.
yes, Bush was hardly scrutinized.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
yes, Bush was hardly scrutinized.
....by his mother, Barbara....
Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
fishsmith
DDG-51

Obama knew he didn't pay taxes and still tried to push him thru, it was not until everyone knew that he apologized.

That being said, he did stand up and take the blame ....
But why would he be approved knowing his taxes were not paid? Whats next?