Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
SaltBernard

Question How do you get a popper out 80+ yards from shore?

Okay, so i'm new so beach/surf casting and I was wondering how to get a topwater popper out to where the fish are. Any rigs/suggestions/help would be appreciated
SaltBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltBernard View Post
Okay, so i'm new so beach/surf casting and I was wondering how to get a topwater popper out to where the fish are. Any rigs/suggestions/help would be appreciated
Technique
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

I am the man in the Bassless Chaps
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I mean it has a lot to do with how you cast. Then add gear into the equation. But technique has to be there first. Tossing a one oz popper on a rod rated for 3 - 8 more than likely wont load the rod properly unless your technique is correct.
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

You need to make sure your rod, reel, and lure are matched up to get you the distance you are looking for. The rod should be 9 foot or longer and be rated to throw the weight of your popper easily. You need to match them in order to load up the rod, which gives you the distance. Conversely, if you have a shorter, stiff boat rod, it will not give you the distance. And if the lure weight is less than the rod is rated for, it wont load the rod, and wont go very far. So, what is your current set up?
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
stripermaineiac

How far you let your plug hang down from the tip mixed with line diameter and how your rod loads makes all the differnce. It is different for all rods and anglers.Only adjust one fearure at a time so you know when you have that feature tuned in.As you work each to it's best then you will start to feel the diff in your rod as it loads better.Go to the same place so you know how far the plug lands as you get things tuned in better.Dressed tail hook or undresed makes a difference. Treble or siwash,reel spool diameter and line all play a part.Rod length verses capability ie 10 to 25 lb, med to heavy all will play a part. as you practice with it you will feelthe difference and things will feel easier then all of a sudden you'll be doing it with little or no effort.80 yrds is very doable,100 is within reason and 120in time. Just remeber you will start to feel it in your cast as things come into balance.Practice with a plug you don't care if you loose or not. Beaters are good for this.Tech makes all the diff.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Redsoxticket

The Popper of my choice for that distance would be a SS. Li'l neck 2 3/8oz or the new heavy SS Li'l neck 2 3/4oz
Redsoxticket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
WESTPORTMAFIA

10-11 ft rod 30 lb braid any decent reel and a super strike popper. If you want a pencil go with left hook, guppy or an m&ds weighted. No real science. Use braid on a 10-11 ft rod with a plug that's built to cast far. Don't pay attention to rod loads, capacities, hooks, tapers dressed or undressed. Keep it simple and use braid. The above mentioned plugs could be had almost anywhere (online or by calling if your not from around) and will make a huge difference on how far you will cast.
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
onecastmike2003

80 yards ? ... No problem.
You have to load the rod and timing is everything with the right gear.
onecastmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

...and even if your rod is rated for a certain weight lure....most of them have a "Sweet" spot within that range.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
Raven

you attach it to a quad copter and fly it out there
push the red button to drop it
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
You don't always have to be a champion distance caster.....the fish are almost always closer than you would think!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
remote boat, drive it out there and yank it off!!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
tysdad115

80 yards? I only load the rod half way, more of a lob type cast...I'm kidding, distance is nice when it's needed, but how accurate are you to your target line? Work on shorter mid range casts aiming at a specific target. Then you will get a feel for it and gradually power up.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Welcome, Saltbernard.

Obviously you're new or you would not ask such an innocent question.
Fortunately, I have learned a great deal from this site over the years and can help you.

The best way to cast 100 yds is to lie about it. That works well for most of us. The main problem arises when the guy you are talking to can tell bigger lies. Now often you can get around that by using the "they were driving bait right onto the rocks" lie, which will render your friend sick with envy and self loathing for sleeping in and thereby missing an opportunity to catch you in your lie, but if that is not possible (usually because you also slept in) then the next best solution is to blame your equipment. This works because having the better equipment than everyone else is the main goal of surfcasting and your friend will gladly jump at the chance to confirm his superiority over you.

Despair not, however, since all is not lost. Having confirmed you need new equipment you are now fully justified in buying the most expensive available. Doing so will immediately add 10-20 yds to your lie and most certainly will shrink your buddy's gonads by three sizes which is clearly worth the expense.

Obviously your buddy will need to respond in kind, trying to trump you with something newer or even more expensive, resulting in a sort of equipment arms race that usually result in a stalemate when you both own the best available........in which case you can regain the upper hand by buying expensive surf bags.

Now being new to all this you might still be at the early stage where you harbor some delusions that successful surfcasters need to catch fish and that casting far is a prerequisite for doing so. Fear not, for with time you will outgrow such silliness, but in the meantime there is an invention that will work for you no matter how poor a caster and fisherman you are.........it is called an eel.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck out there.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

practice and appropriate gear.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Welcome, Saltbernard.

it is called an eel.

Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
JamesJet

Gotta say Numbskulls post made me laugh... But seriously improving timing, location and lure choice, how accurate your casts are, how you work the plug and the actual process of landing a big fish in different conditions are all way more important than casting distance. Timing and location may dictate the need for an 80yrd cast, such as Canal plugging tides, but usually its not the case. All the info on balanced equipment and technique above are accurate if you still lust for that long cast.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

rod specs along with matching to those specs is important. I can think of only a few times I've needed to crush a lure way out there, for the most part most of the fish I've caught have been in water no more than 10ft deep and usually within 20-30 ft from shore. Most times even closer. Look for rocks and rips and aim for those!

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
bart
Red Eye Jedi

You need a highly sought after, rarely found TO fat polaris!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0734.jpg (136.6 KB, 78 views)
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Welcome, Saltbernard.

Fortunately, I have learned a great deal from this site over the years and can help you.

The best way to cast 100 yds is to lie about it. That works well for most of us. The main problem arises when the guy you are talking to can tell bigger lies. Now often you can get around that by using the "they were driving bait right onto the rocks" lie, which will render your friend sick with envy and self loathing for sleeping in and thereby missing an opportunity to catch you in your lie, but if that is not possible (usually because you also slept in) then the next best solution is to blame your equipment. This works because having the better equipment than everyone else is the main goal of surfcasting and your friend will gladly jump at the chance to confirm his superiority over you.

Despair not, however, since all is not lost. Having confirmed you need new equipment you are now fully justified in buying the most expensive available. Doing so will immediately add 10-20 yds to your lie and most certainly will shrink your buddy's gonads by three sizes which is clearly worth the expense.

Obviously your buddy will need to respond in kind, trying to trump you with something newer or even more expensive, resulting in a sort of equipment arms race that usually result in a stalemate when you both own the best available........in which case you can regain the upper hand by buying expensive surf bags.

Now being new to all this you might still be at the early stage where you harbor some delusions that successful surfcasters need to catch fish and that casting far is a prerequisite for doing so. Fear not, for with time you will outgrow such silliness, but in the meantime there is an invention that will work for you no matter how poor a caster and fisherman you are.........it is called an eel.

Or, you could just measure it cubits.

Even better, use decimeters around people who are clueless about the metric system.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Load your rod as much as you can and lay right into your cast...............as she's sailing about half-way out there......quickly close the bail. 80+ yards, no problemo.

Open plug bag, tie on another.

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

Use the out going tide.
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Classic post from Numbscull!

The best thing to do if you want people to think you cast far is to have your friends go to the other side of the canal and then have them duck as if your lure is going to hit them right after you cast
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Load your rod as much as you can and lay right into your cast...............as she's sailing about half-way out there......quickly close the bail. 80+ yards, no problemo.

Open plug bag, tie on another.

Now that's funny!!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
You don't always have to be a champion distance caster.....the fish are almost always closer than you would think!
Think about it....how often do you get strikes right when the lure hits the water? The strikes usually come while you are working the lure back in.

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #26
Saltheart

Go 2.5 OZ or more. Polaris styles usually cast further than straight sided Atom styles but Atom styles can cast that far. Use braid as mentioned. I think you need the longest rod you can handle. Now if you cannot handle a very long rod you will lose distance but as long as you can handle it , the longer the rod the longer the cast. I think 11 feet is optimum but I use 12 footers for that sort of distance need except when casting heavier jigs , then I use 10 or 11 footers.

Get the timing down. Timing will get you more distance improvement than casting harder. Learn to use a rather long casting tail , at least 4 feet and 6 or more if you learn how.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Saltheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Think about it....how often do you get strikes right when the lure hits the water? The strikes usually come while you are working the lure back in.
This time of year and into Nov you see a lot of top water action along the beaches that is way out there. When they are hitting stuff 80 yards out you will often see strikes as soon as the popper hits the water. I have a rod specifically made for long casting fall lures like poppers and metal like needle eels and Kastmasters etc. to get out to that 120 to 150 yard range. In the fall you will often see Bonitos and Albies out that far and the striper and blue action can move from 30 yards to 130 yards in a matter of minutes. Anyway , I am a proponent of being able to cast far. You can always cast less than your furthest but you can never cast more than your furthest.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #28
onecastmike2003

Tape your finger before you get all macho and load the rod and let it go. Trust us we know
onecastmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Quote:
Welcome, Saltbernard.

Fantastic!!!
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
SaltBernard

Thanks everyone for posting I have gained a lot of knowledge and the question has been answered
SaltBernard is offline   Reply With Quote