Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Muzik

Muzik Muzik Forums - by popular request...

Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Old Country - bear with me

I grew up thinking there was just one thing - music. I didnt know types. I lsat with my Dad and listened to Johnny Horton, Hank Williams, the Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles.
to me it was all the same. As I grew up I got into blues, metal and heavily into jazz. While studying jazz, my teacher was a record collector and we talked for hours about early country players, much of the music I grew up on. I dont like today's country or most country made in the last 30 years or so. The old stuff featured fantastic hook song writing, excellent musicianship. these guys were raised on blues, swing, rockabilly and folk music and it was refeclted in there music. The best part is, they didnt require studio effects and major producing, they sounded great live. The steel pedal kills me.So have an open mind, and check these out. Some of my all time favorites.
List to the musicianship, song writing and harmonies.
Buck Owens - Don Rich, inventing the "twang" of a tele
Johnny Horton - you know his tunes

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Then theres the "new" guys playing the old music
Big Sandy and the Flyrite boys - I've seen them 25+ times
these guys can play

The Derailers, playing Bakersfield style.

I love this stuff!

Come on RIRockhound.........as George Clinton said - free your mind and your ass will follow

Last edited by RIJIMMY; 12-03-2008 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim;
I can dig it, and do listen to a bit of 'modern' rockabilly on occasion (Stray Cats and Setzer...)
My mind is always open on music, just not politics

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Nebe

nice Jim..
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

nice clean sound

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
joe the plumber

I never would have known this stuff even existed,let alone make such an impression on you.I appreciate you sharing that with me.One other thing I took away from this post.
Music was impressed on me at a young age,thanks to my much older sisters.Your dad must have been or still is a hell of a guy.
joe the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the plumber View Post
I never would have known this stuff even existed,let alone make such an impression on you.I appreciate you sharing that with me.One other thing I took away from this post.
Music was impressed on me at a young age,thanks to my much older sisters.Your dad must have been or still is a hell of a guy.
Thanks, that means a lot. I once heard a quote, there are two kinds of music, good music and bad music.
My Dad was an awesome, guy and although he never played an instrument he was a HUGE musical influence on me. we sat and listened to music for hours. Harry Belafonte, Stonewall Jackson, Della Reese. when I was older, I would blast Zeppelin or Hendrix and he never put it down.
My Dad was an avid runner and believe it or not, his favorite band in his walkman was AC/DC. I had let him borrow a tape once and he loved it.
Most people dismiss country as hick music, but these guys listened to jazz and blues and were great players. If you believe the Ken Burns Jazz documentary, Charlie Parker ( to me the greatest jazz musician ever) used to put $ in the jukebox to listen to Hank Williams and other country songs because he loved the words.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

heres one more for ya...
current guy - Junior Brown, pays a custom guit-steel. Fantastic player, great tunes.