Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
That's pretty interesting Joe. What do you attribute that to? Are water temps in line with previous years? Bait seems to be in many places but not fish. Do you think it's just a lack of fish? Or are conditions different keeping them out?

everything is in line to be "average" Water temps have been good.. certainly no lack of bait... there have been a few exceptional fish around.. those that have been caught have been caught by those that fish every day or camp on the beach for an entire week fishing around the clock..I applaud their dedication... but there are no big pods of them...I have not fished as hard as I have in the past... partly due to the lack of fish...partly due to local weather conditions versus the tides timing .. maybe mostly because I'm just plain getting old and need more sleep than I used to and my bones hurt.. 5 years ago I'd hammer 4 nights in a row regardless of the outcome...and still be to work on time in the morning. Sometimes straight out of the boat. That being said...each season for the last few years there's been less and less quality fish in spots that have historically held them...that area I fished in my last report ALWAYS had at least one jumbo hiding somewhere if you stick it out when the tidal conditions are "right"... I've taken 6 of my 18 fish over 50 from that location. This season it just hasn't been the case.. I can't find them in them in the marshes ...on the flats or out on the beach of even in the rocks. There just are not a lot of them around my area. There are large schools of pogies out on the beach...unmolested.. nothing that I can see has changed except for the lack of fish.... striped bass are cyclical in the numbers migrating to certain areas...so it may just be part of that cycle.. one that has lasted for me anyway... for 40 years...last night that place I fished last week was devoid of life, the school of fish I ran into a few nights ago is gone...if the wind and fog doesn't get me tonight( it made my life miserable last night) ..I'll be back hoping that a tide change will bring in some fish...if my years on the water have taught me nothing else.. every thing can turn on one tide..

so I guess the short answer is.. a combination of lack of quality fish ( there are all the micro to 26" bass you want catch) and lack of effort on my part = a down season.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote