Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Nebe

Lupo danny question

A freind of mine is swearing that a lupo is the maker of 'the original danny'... ive come to learn that danny pinchney was the original inventer of the danny but am wondering if Lupo had any affiliation with him.

does anyone know the history behind Lupo and was pinchney conected to Lupo??
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

My understanding (or maybe misconception) is that Danny (or perhaps his widow) sold the business/designs to Lupo who was either a partner, friend, or neighbor of the original Danny. When Lupo drifted out of business, Beachmaster (who apparently had worked for Lupo at some point) started making copies of a number of Danny designs without owning the patent. Gibbs eventually bought the patent, and for a brief while Beachmasters became scarce. Interestingly, I've Xrayed all three versions (I don't own an original Pinchney Danny) and the Gibbs plug carries alot less weight than the Lupo Danny or Beachmaster version. I can't find the Xray, or I'd post it. I've also noted that recent Beachmaster Dannies seem fatter than the Lupo plugs I own.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Nebe

interesting..that is pretty much what i thought. nice to know the beachmaster connection too.. Thankyou for takng the time to answer my question numskull
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

when I talked to Bobby, he told me he worked for Danny when he[bob] was going to high school and when Danny passed away he left the bis. to Bobby. Lupo's slopedhead[being younger] was copied from Danny's slopedhead lure....reason beachmaster's went scarse was do to the epa not letting him use the harsh sealer/paint/clearcoat that he onced used and shut them down till other other finishes could be found that the epa would accept and deemed non-lethel....all these guy's lived close together in the same town, so stories are going to differ when it come's to who did what first....I've talked to the horses mouth and ten other's that worked[helped] out Danny from time to time and you get ten different stories.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
Diamond Tackle

I am convinced Donny MUSSO invented /designed the Danny plug shape. Dan Pinchney first MARKETED it as his Danny Plug. Thats the way its been explained to me by several OLD timers who knew them both. Pinchney has passed away, so we really cant ask him. But Mr Musso will tell you the whole story including what sparked the idea in the first place. He was tuna fishing and admired the sleek shape of Tuna and how they tuck their pectoral Fins etc, the idea popped in his head for a plug that resembles the body of a tuna. From there he designed and perfected the shape. This is the story ive heard over and over.
There is no Danny patent as far as I am aware, the DANNY name was purchased by Gibbs and they own it to this day. Patents are only good for 17 years anyway, a copyrighted product name is yours until you sell it .

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
proflection

Tinman you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I am convinced Donny MUSSO invented /designed the Danny plug shape. Dan Pinchney first MARKETED it as his Danny Plug. Thats the way its been explained to me by several OLD timers who knew them both. Pinchney has passed away, so we really cant ask him. But Mr Musso will tell you the whole story including what sparked the idea in the first place. He was tuna fishing and admired the sleek shape of Tuna and how they tuck their pectoral Fins etc, the idea popped in his head for a plug that resembles the body of a tuna. From there he designed and perfected the shape. This is the story ive heard over and over.
There is no Danny patent as far as I am aware, the DANNY name was purchased by Gibbs and they own it to this day. Patents are only good for 17 years anyway, a copyrighted product name is yours until you sell it .
proflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I heard it from the horses mouth at RISSA this weekend that Gibbs owns the "Danny" name! There is also a name change in BigFish Bait Co.'s future as a result!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The only registered trademark that I could find for any common plug was "darter"--and that was orignally trademarked by Creek Chub in the 1950s and is now owned by some company in Alabama. It could be what PRADCO was called before it was called PRADCO.

Brad used to put "tm" on the label next to Hawg Hunter Lures, but I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that he never officially registered it

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
NIB

I have talked to Donny also.While I greatly admire him an his fine lure creations. He is also a good fisherman.It seems to me in my conversations with him he speaks with quite a bit of resentment.This leaves a shadow of a doubt on who designed the plug..In my mind..
Does it really matter..???
NS is right as with most beachmasters they are crafted heavy for the current laden waters of LI.Most of em are designed heavy to hold well or fish down..They are proven fish catchers.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Diamond Tackle

Its a legal/ethical quagmyre. Use the name as a "style" to pay homage and credit where due, and get accused of financially benefitting from it, dont give credit, get accused of outright copying someones product. (just go to ebay and do searches, u will be shocked who people are comparing their plugs to)
Who really knows who invented what, but I have a lot of respect for all the old timers, esp guys like Donny, who I treasure every minute speaking with. If i were him, i would be bitter too,but then he's done ok for himself, noone can corner the market on everything.Maybe he will start buiding out of wood again, who knows.
Unfortunately I never got to meet the late Stan Gibbs, or Bob Pond, who is like 90 now?, God bless him. I heard he was at the show visiting this weekend in fact. These guys were/are treasures,and a lot of people owe them . A lot of people.
Gibbs does own the "danny"name, they lease it from the widow. Nib as u may recall Tony Spina used "dani" which is the name of his granddaughter?, and there was nothing gibbs could legally do about it. I can make a plug called a "Dane" if I chose to, its my last name and noone can stop me. I try to be respectful and i certainly have much admiration for the old timers, more than they will ever know.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Web Database Contents

The fact that a mark is not present in the TARR database does not necessarily mean that the mark is not currently being used as a trademark. The TARR database contains only those trademarks that are Federally registered or that are pending (applications undergoing examination at the USPTO). The TARR database does not contain any information on state, foreign, or common law trademarks.

Here is what you get when you search "Danny":

Word Mark DANNY
Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: TOYS, GAMES AND PLAYTHINGS, NAMELY, DOLLS, DOLL CLOTHING AND DOLL ACCESSORIES, TOY FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFOR
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78645719
Filing Date June 7, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition March 20, 2007
Owner (APPLICANT) MATTEL, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE M1-1518 333 CONTINENTAL BLVD. EL SEGUNDO CALIFORNIA 902455012
Attorney of Record MICHAEL MOORE
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Try Gibbs danny and this is what you get:

Word Mark GIBBS
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: AMPHIBIOUS AUTOMOBILES
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 26.11.21 - Rectangles that are completely or partially shaded
Serial Number 79000119
Filing Date November 18, 2003
Current Filing Basis 66A
Original Filing Basis 66A
Published for Opposition May 10, 2005
Registration Number 2981195
International Registration Number 0814863
Registration Date August 2, 2005
Owner (REGISTRANT) Gibbs Technologies Limited Private limited Company UNITED KINGDOM Avenue Road Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV11 4LY UNITED KINGDOM
Attorney of Record WILLIAM A JOHNSTON
Priority Date May 20, 2003
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

In fact, I can't find a single Gibbs lure trademark registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office. The only trademark for any fishing lure I can find is this:

Word Mark DARTER
Goods and Services IC 028. US 022. G & S: ARTIFICIAL FISH BAITS. FIRST USE: 19260700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19260700
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Design Search Code
Serial Number 71636691
Filing Date October 16, 1952
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 0589602
Registration Date May 11, 1954
Owner (REGISTRANT) CREEK CHUB BAIT COMPANY, THE CORPORATION INDIANA GARRETT INDIANA
(LAST LISTED OWNER) EBSCO INDUSTIES, INC. CORPORATION BY ASSIGNMENT DELAWARE 5724 HIGHWAY 280 EAST BIRMININGHAM ALABAMA 35242

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record ROBERT J. VEAL
Prior Registrations 0291671
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECTION 8(10-YR) 20030904.
Renewal 3RD RENEWAL 20030904
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

I'm not sure exactly what it was that John Gibbs bought or leased from Mrs. Pichney, and what was transferred to the current owners in time, but it is not a Registered US Trademark, as far as I can tell from my search

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote