Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Nuclear, not about Congress Dummy

This article explains what I have been ranting about for years, unsuccessfully.

It has been one hell of a summer. Heat, drought, fire. Historic floods. Ninety–degree heat waves above the Arctic Circle. Sea levels rising at an ever-faster pace. Most of the world’s ocean reefs dead or dying. And while the ideological war still rages for some, the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that global warming and climate change are real, and that atmospheric carbon is the primary culprit. Most frighteningly, all this is a sneak preview of the catastrophic consequences yet to come.

Why are we letting this happen?

We had the technology to stop these trends years ago. And we could have.

A half century ago, the United States was on a path that could have given us 100 percent carbon-free energy by the end of the last century. We were going to do it by rapidly expanding the fleet of nuclear power plants, eventually replacing fossil-fuel plants. Then we stopped. What happened?

Fear. Many of us, this author included, were terrified of nuclear anything: weapons, plutonium, isotopes, proliferation, waste. So it seemed to us that if a bunch of crazies succeeded in building more nuclear power plants, it would be global catastrophe just waiting to happen. We had to stop those plants. To do that we used fear. While it is true that cost and supply issues were factors, fear was the single most effective weapon against nuclear energy. We demonstrated, held rock concerts, wrote books, sponsored symposiums, predicted tens of thousands of cancers and sued.

We even made a movie—The China Syndrome. The campaign had already started to work when God sent Three Mile Island to answer our prayers. At Three Mile Island, He showed us that our greatest fear—a melt-down—could really happen. Fear had a new ally. We let all the World know we’d just barely escaped Armageddon. We predicted tens of thousands of cancers. Fear spread, and the scare worked. “Not In My Backyard” became the mantra of politicians (and citizens) everywhere. Most of the planned nuclear plants got cancelled. Even better, we massively up-regulated to make licensing and building future nuclear plants impossibly time consuming and expensive. And, of course, the country kept building more coal plants to feed its growing economy.

But did we make the right choice? What is it about nuclear that we were so afraid of that made us prefer, in effect, polluted air, acid rain, poisoned seafood, and even global warming? Our fears of nuclear were real, but were they justified?

Now, with more than 60 years of real-world experience behind us, 60 years of using nuclear power for ships, submarines, and some 440 nuclear power plants around the world, we do not have to guess. The most fearsome accidents imaginable have actually happened. We no longer need to rely on speculation. We have real data, we can see what actually happens in the worst nuclear accidents. Those data suggest we need to take a new look at the basis for our fears.

https://democracyjournal.org/argumen...energy-future/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

"But did we make the right choice? What is it about nuclear that we were so afraid of that made us prefer, in effect, polluted air, acid rain, poisoned seafood, and even global warming? Our fears of nuclear were real, but were they justified?"

What is the half life of too much carbon dioxide?
What is the half life of the Pacific ocean devoid of life because of the Japanese meltdown that continues to pollute all the way across the ocean and nobody is even capping that thing off with concrete to halt any of it?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I pity what is coming for future generations, the changes in weather patterns are a precursor to what’s coming.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
"But did we make the right choice? What is it about nuclear that we were so afraid of that made us prefer, in effect, polluted air, acid rain, poisoned seafood, and even global warming? Our fears of nuclear were real, but were they justified?"

What is the half life of too much carbon dioxide?
What is the half life of the Pacific ocean devoid of life because of the Japanese meltdown that continues to pollute all the way across the ocean and nobody is even capping that thing off with concrete to halt any of it?
Have you been watching youtube scary shows?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fukushima-emergency/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Do you have or want a nuke waste site in your backyard?
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Whale deaths have shot up from 10 per year average to 30 this year and we aren’t done. Warming water is affecting everything, clams, whales, I guess the good news will be targeting Mahi instead of stripers.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
Do you have or want a nuke waste site in your backyard?
How much high level nuclear waste has been generated, not the stuff from your dentist.
Did you click on the link and read the article

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

The planet has survived changes before. Oceans can only dilute so much waste. Solar energy is cleaner. Years and centuries of burning fossil fuels is the worlds fault not just the evil republicans fault or the hypocrite democrats fault.
Oceans change CO2 into oxygen as well as rain forests, cease burning down rainforests and killing the oceans or we will not have enough oxygen to survive. There are way bigger problems than coal plants.

The real people in control are not the rulers we elect, they’d like you to think so though.