Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
joe the plumber

Bigbo,
Drink some brandy.I know it dosn't cure anything,but so much better than over counter cures.Going on antibiotics spells the end of brandy therapy.
I tried Zicam for the first time this year.I too allways get colds at the time of changing seasons.Maybe its just in my head but I swear the Zicam knocked prevented colds on 2 occasions since the first of the year.
joe the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
rivsie11

Had it for three weeks around Christmas. Nearly passed out from coughing numerous times. Every time I thought I was getting better it came back.

rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the plumber View Post
Bigbo,

I tried Zicam for the first time this year.Maybe its just in my head but I swear the Zicam knocked prevented colds on 2 occasions since the first of the year.
Joe, it's not in your head, that stuff works like magic.
I've used zinc lozenges for years with good success , but they get my stomach, so i switched to Zicam last year.
Trick is to use it as soon as you feel it coming on. Prevents it like you say.

Larry, try Mucinex or Mucinex D for your congestion. They are over the counter too.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Raven

use Spices

Mentholatum on your chest helps you breath

Spicey food doubles your ability to fight off the cold

EATING bio flavonoids in the white strings in between
sections from oranges helps C work much better.

but Garlic is natures antibiotic

the difference between garlic and doctor prescribed
antibiotics is that garlic doesn't kill off the good bacteria
in your colon like the "cillans" do... they wipe out everything.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
joe the plumber

Raven
Please tell me more about how you use garlic.Do you take a pill? Or eat it in your food or both?
Do you use it as an antibiotic?I have read and heard alot about the benefits of garlic but never this before.Thanks
joe the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Angie made some homemade chicken soup and we are about to sit down to it! It is a cure all and after I eat it this my nose will run like a faucet!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Raven

Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the plumber View Post
Raven
Please tell me more about how you use garlic.Do you take a pill? Or eat it in your food or both?
Do you use it as an antibiotic?I have read and heard alot about the benefits of garlic but never this before.Thanks
Garlic has the ability to grow without any water...
it has allot of stored energy in that bulb

how you peel garlic is everyone's own way and preference...

some people take an individual clove and moosh it underneath
a flat knife to peel it real fast....and get the paper/peel off...fast
that is the lazy way.... imho

i prefer to twist the clove since as they are kind of like rubber...
one direction and then the other until the paper or peel finally snaps

you can make garlic bread with heated french bread in a toaster oven...after you coarsely chop the garlic and lightly cook it in a frying pan with butter until it just starts to get crispy brown on the edges. you can top that off with cheese and re-melt it in the oven.

the rule is: the finer you chop it the stronger the garlic flavor.

another thing i do, is to add garlic as whole peeled UNCHOPPED cloves to any kind of soup, chili, or stew and they cook soft like a potatoe ... and the flavor is rather mild....(not overpowering)
then, ............from it not being chopped

the deoderized kyorlic garlic pearls can be taken if your not wanting to cook with it...

sometimes i cook it outside on the gas grill just to keep the house
from getting to garlic-ed out...
Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
BigBo

I went the brandy route during round #1 and yes, it helped. Or at least made it more bearable, or I was really drunk at the time.....
I was actually feeling better for a while. It hit my wife worse than me. Then here sister came to stay with us for a week. Well, she had it really bad and didn't say anything until she showed up.
Round #2 has knocked me on my ass. Literally! It's bad stuff.
Sorry Raven, but I'll say that spicey food theory is BS. My wife is from Southeast Asia and everything we eat is spicey. Didn't help us one bit.
The jury is still out on Garlic. She cooks a lot with that as well. I think there are many benefits to garlic. I'm just not sure fighting colds and flu are one of them.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Sorry Raven, but I'll say that spicey food theory is BS. My wife is from Southeast Asia and everything we eat is spicey. Didn't help us one bit.
The jury is still out on Garlic. She cooks a lot with that as well. I think there are many benefits to garlic. I'm just not sure fighting colds and flu are one of them.
no it is not !!!

Garlic, for example, contains more than 50 antioxidants, more than a dozen immunostimulant phytochemicals and dozens of antiseptic (including antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral) compounds to reduce the likelihood of a germ getting the upper hand.

the government is also quick to say that those who have a depressed immune system are more at risk for these "germs." So why doesn't our pharmacophilic government tell us to boost out immune system, especially with garlic, instead of pushing a silver bullet antibiotic to which resistance may have already developed? The garlic industry doesn't send in many campaign contributions, nor does it support a big lobby. Yet immune-boosting garlic has been shown not only to be antibiotic in itself, but to be synergistic with the many of the more expensive pharmaceutical silver bullet antibiotics.

This makes garlic, in my view, the single most important medicinal spice

I've proved it works personally more times than i can count.

everyone's body chemistry varies however so there's a certain combination that will work for most people that occasionally
doesn't work for some individuals.