Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #61
Raven

Angry $4.99 per gallon

in Atlanta georgia right NOW!

because of those two disfunctional oil pipelines.

but the sickest and ugliest thing i heard today was this.

a nurse who stepped outside for a breath of fresh air

because the hospital she's working in (trying to save patients)
had zero ventilation...without power....

was robbed outside at gunpoint by some fokin scumbags.

that is absolutely OUTRAGIOUS. no mercy shoot to kill

all armed looters .PERIOD , BAM
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #62
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman
Heard on the radio that a station in Bklyn NY just broke the $4 / gal mark today.
On another board I saw a post that the UK is experiencing prices in the $7-8 range per gal, if you convert lbs sterling to us dollars.This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Im thinking of buying a horse and a years supply of Hay.
Almost 75% of that U.K. price is the huge taxes they put on it.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #63
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannakeeper
I don't care if we wiped out the entire population of Iraq if it meant that one US soldier did not end up with a hang-nail. I say nuke-it, pave-it and take the oil.
and we wonder why hardly any other countries want to help us after this disaster
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #64
basswipe

Bush created hurricane Katrina to pump up his profits.Katrina wasn't formed from a tropical wave that came off of Africa and encountered 87 degree Gulf waters to become a major hurricane...it was Bush trying to make money.

That's what some of you come across as sounding like.

Heck there's a guy in the Old Pharts board asking "Where's Oswald when you need him".

You gotta be freakin kidding me!

My future sister in-law and husband and two kids are from Slidell LA.Where's that you might ask?Who knows.....its all gone.

Quit yer whining and stop thinking about yourselves.Its about them and the those in the same situation as them.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #65
vineyardblues

WOW ,,,on cnn they just said in Atlanta Gas it up to 5.88 per Gal.
We are in trouble
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #66
Jenn

just be glad there is gas to buy.

I dont like it anymore than anyone else but the fact of the matter is it COULD be worse......

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:34 PM   #67
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe
Bush created hurricane Katrina to pump up his profits.Katrina wasn't formed from a tropical wave that came off of Africa and encountered 87 degree Gulf waters to become a major hurricane...it was Bush trying to make money.

That's what some of you come across as sounding like.

Heck there's a guy in the Old Pharts board asking "Where's Oswald when you need him".

You gotta be freakin kidding me!

My future sister in-law and husband and two kids are from Slidell LA.Where's that you might ask?Who knows.....its all gone.

Quit yer whining and stop thinking about yourselves.Its about them and the those in the same situation as them.
sucks to be them. it just sucks to see the oil companies profiting from a natural disaster where real people are suffering.... and yes, all the blokes in teh whitehouse are making $$ off this rise in oil prices like it or not. did they cause this??? no.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #68
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Not saying "woe is us" Basswipe...just talking about the rising cost of gas. Go to the other thread about the hurricane if that is what you want to talk about!

$2.61 yesterday morning.....$2.89 this morning!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 PM   #69
pal156

2.51 tuesday,3.50 today

pal156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #70
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

can't help but feeling used and abused.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #71
Mr. Sandman

I haven't looked at the street pump in about 2 weeks. Then it was 3.25 and my brother gagged at that price then.

There is no crude supply problem that I see, it is just that we need more refinerys and 10% of them were just shut down in the wake of that storm. OK that happend yesterday. Why the price hike today? I think they are jumping the gun a little.

Also, I think folks in the fuel business will use anything as an excuse for a price hike. Do you see lines at the pump? Do you see any stations that don't have fuel? This is a fabricated hike. Yes Europe has high fuel costs but most of that is taxes...in our case it is more like greed. I can tell you the gas that was in the station yesterday is the SAME as the gas that is in there today...but it suddenly cost more.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM   #72
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish
Not saying "woe is us" Basswipe...just talking about the rising cost of gas. Go to the other thread about the hurricane if that is what you want to talk about!

$2.61 yesterday morning.....$2.89 this morning!
This thread was started after Katrina struck.And of course a certain somebody brought politics into it.The rising cost of gas directly or indirectly is a result of the storm.

And it is a "woe is us" thread.Spend in a minute in THEIR shoes and all of a sudden the rising price of gas is meaningless.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #73
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Feel bad for the folks down south...I do...but if this has to be a "woe is me" thread then so be it! Just went out to "top off" the tanks in my 3 vehicles.....as I arrive at the pump the price is changing to $3.10 from $2.89.....that is a .49 cent jump in 24 hours.....cost me $150.00 to fill em' up! Guy at the station says it is going up another 20 cents in the morning for sure!

Basswipe....I do hope your family is ok down there....it is a terrible, horrible thing to be sure and my heart does go out to all down there and their families.....don't for a second think I am not sympathetic and uncaring. I can't begin to fathom what those folks are dealing with at this moment.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #74
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Sandman...one station I went to had nothing left but 93 octane.....guy at station said 3 folks filled their vehicles and left without paying. Its insanity out there right now!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:53 PM   #75
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Time to get locking gas caps...
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:57 PM   #76
basswipe

Bigfish,

I try not to come off as sounding like I don't understand that rising gas prices suck but when 8 and 10 year old boys are asking their dad when can they can go home to feed their pet lizard and gerbils the price of gas seems so trivial.Their pets are dead.They may not even have a home.I just don't care about gas.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #77
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I think we are on the same page BW.....I was just chiming in about the rising cost of fuel is all. I am human you know.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #78
basswipe

I guess I'm not thinking about gas as much as others as my truck has been completely dead for awhile.I've been looking at new trucks but maybe its time to get one of those cars that says "I'm Electric" on the back!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #79
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart
starting to wish i never got that new chevy back in feb.
Yup me too! IM glad I got a new pig I love it but IM getting absolutly no love at the pump
IM going to pick my nights a lil more selectivly.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #80
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

All those new Dodge trucks/cars with Hemi's... Yeah , it's got a Hemi
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 PM   #81
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRattBoy
All those new Dodge trucks/cars with Hemi's... Yeah , it's got a Hemi
All our company trucks are Dodges and a few Fords.Guzzlers one and all especially the Hemis.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 PM   #82
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

It doesn't update fast enough but: http://www.rhodeislandgasprices.com/

Filled 2 days ago @ 2.57, Topped off last night @ 265 but same place was 2.99 today, found 2.75, topped off after seeing 3.17 at Cumbys in W Warwick. pumps were vacant - as in nobody paying...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #83
outfished

Well I did it, I just pulled out my old homemade go-cart made out of plywood I built as a kid in the 70's. It has a kind of crude rack and pinion type steering system but I think with a little oil it will work just fine to roll downhill 3 miles to my job in the morning and I'll' either pull the damn thing home, UPHILL, or just tie a rope to the hitch of a UPS truck and hijack a ride home. 0 gas miledge and I don't need to register or insure the contraption. And it runs cleeeeean

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
outfished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #84
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #85
Pete_G

Looking back, and speaking of gas taxes, one really should have been implemented after 9/11. The public would have been receptive to the idea if it had been pitched in the name of combatting terrorism. Dump the money directly into a "Manhattan Project" with the focus on any and all technology that would advance efficiency and develop alternative fuels as fast as we possibly can. 25 cent per gallon gas tax to promote fuel efficiency and battle terrorism? People wouldn't have flinched. Maybe the reality of $3 a gallon will wake people up, but good luck trying to pass a gas tax now.

Sorry, but I gotta say it. This country needs real leadership. There's more to winning a war then bombs, and strangling the funding of people who want to kill us is a great way to do it.

Speaking of leadership, I suspect many people who were watching and had done their homework knew that the horrible stuff that is taking place in the Gulf right now was going to happen. Hindsight is 20/20, and obviously no one wanted to cry wolf, but I'm surprised the feds didn't get involved sooner, as in WAY before landfall. Your city is below sea level and there's a Cat 5 coming? Just look East at Florida and what happens when Cat 4 and 5's hit there. Hiroshima style destruction... Very sad and scary.

Being in the surf some nights (tonight?) we get reminded of how close death can be and the power of nature. Right now, the whole nation is getting a VERY grim reminder as well.

Happy to be in the NorthEast and hoping for the best in the Gulf,

Pete
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:26 AM   #86
Skip N

Its the Ficking Towel head Saudis that are mostly to blame charging $70 a barrel for crude oil....Some expert in that field i heard on TV a few days ago said paying $70 for a barrel of oil is like paying $25 for a candy bar. Thats how bad the towel heads are F'ing us over. Its convient and easy to blame W but to me the above is whats screwing us over. Oh wait Bush must be a memeber of the Saudi family and is in on it right? Show me some FACTS about how W is in on the oil price fix crap and i will listen. not just the wacko conspirecy junk...Give me FACTS how he is to blame and we'll talk and i'll listne. Im F'ing fed up with $3 a gallon gas trust me. If W is to blame and is in on some big conspericy i will rip him up (yes i did say that!) But you leftys stop drinking the cool aid and look at the saudis....THEY are the ones %$%$%$%$ing us over. And it drives me nuts!!!
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:31 AM   #87
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRattBoy
Time to get locking gas caps...
gonna be like that Mel Gibson movie..Road Warrior, I believe??

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:32 AM   #88
Skip N

"Speaking of leadership, I suspect many people who were watching and had done their homework knew that the horrible stuff that is taking place in the Gulf right now was going to happen. Hindsight is 20/20, and obviously no one wanted to cry wolf, but I'm surprised the feds didn't get involved sooner, as in WAY before landfall. Your city is below sea level and there's a Cat 5 coming? Just look East at Florida and what happens when Cat 4 and 5's hit there. Hiroshima style destruction... Very sad and scary."

The folks were told to evacuate. And the experts did say NO would be under water if they got a direct hit. Some just couldnt get out or for whatever reason stayed. Did anyone see the comments by one of The Kennedys yesterday essenially blaming the hurricane on republicans and W. What a wacko that guy is.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #89
Bob Thomas
No Shorts On

Send a message via AIM to Bob Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18
gonna be like that Mel Gibson movie..Road Warrior, I believe??
My brother-in-law had his and about 10 other cars siphoned (sp) 2 days ago in Maine. It's getting that bad I guess!!

Bob Thomas
Bob Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #90
Pete_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N
"Speaking of leadership, I suspect many people who were watching and had done their homework knew that the horrible stuff that is taking place in the Gulf right now was going to happen. Hindsight is 20/20, and obviously no one wanted to cry wolf, but I'm surprised the feds didn't get involved sooner, as in WAY before landfall. Your city is below sea level and there's a Cat 5 coming? Just look East at Florida and what happens when Cat 4 and 5's hit there. Hiroshima style destruction... Very sad and scary."

The folks were told to evacuate. And the experts did say NO would be under water if they got a direct hit. Some just couldnt get out or for whatever reason stayed. Did anyone see the comments by one of The Kennedys yesterday essenially blaming the hurricane on republicans and W. What a wacko that guy is.
I just don't think the people telling them to evacuate did it soon enough or specifically stated the consequences, and that's got nothing to do with being a Democrat or Republican. People knew they were in danger (although maybe not to the degree they were), but I don't think the gov't at any level pushed hard enough prior to landfall.

I know, easy to say in hindsight, but watching the TV in the 24 hours prior to landfall that was my impression.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote