Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #31
whiplash
Sand pounder

You don't hear anything from the Cape guys because we're all in RI looking for SPOTS.
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #32
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman
Great response , Lurch! I have often asked" how's the fishing?" Just trying to be friendly.Very often get the cold shoulder
Don't take this personally, but I can think of better ways of being friendly than walking up to a guy fishing in the dead of night (who can't hear you coming over the sound of the waves), coming up behind him and asking "How's the fishing?".

When it happens to me, once my heart returns to its proper place from my throat and I pull my sticky drawers away from my crack, you get a "Geez, man, don't do that again!!" Some other guys probably won't be as nice
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #33
Sea Dangles

Good advice is right. How ironic that this person who bragged about the fall run and then about all the people at a spot I like to fish would start his belly aching again.Why not ring a bell. SPOTS, for crying out loud when he WROTE B.P. in his little rant before, the moderators never even removed it.Now THAT is a burn if I ever saw it. Why not just let it blow over? We're not talking about a kid here either, just someone who acts like one.I for one agree with Lurch, talk like that to the wrong guy and you might get what you deserve.A fisherman out at 3a.m. may or may not be new but sure sounds committed so respect that man and explain with a cool head the courtesies he has not yet learned. It just might go a long way.Time to teach this old dog a new trick!

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #34
lurch
You rang?

Sorry about that I NEVER sneak up behind anyone but when I see folks in the parking lot or walking by with rods while I am driving ill stop and ask how things are going...I know better than that...you could get shot by a psycho mainiac!

Well you cant miss me walking up behind you...I create a HUGE shadow

BOO!!
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #35
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #36
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

that story is a perfect display of googandry and I do not blame you for reacting the way you did. I used to fish the PI riverfront in the spring, but couldn't take the googans not knowing how to cast into the current and ending up casting right over my line. Had to move on. Wasn't like we were killing them there anyway.

The summer I have been putting in a lot of times on the rocks, if somebody got that close to me in the rocks I would be a little pissed too.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM   #37
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
Piemma.. shush... just shush. stop it.

negative, positive, just stop it.

have you noticed none of the cape guys are mentioning anything about catching?????

they learned this last year... silence is key. In your rant you stil mentioned you were into fish... not good. Shush.

Fish, ignore the crowds, walk a little bit more, and most importantly, keep to yourself.

ive struggled with keeping somethings to myself lately and you know what, its easy once you get used to it.... ohhhh if only i could tell

now shush up buttercup...... these are trying times.

Ohh if only I could tell also

Paul, you can come with me anytime you want to my spots, no one will bug you !!
eelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #38
basswipe

I have one spot where I've never seen anyone else.Thank god for that.It produces large numbers especially in spring but not much in the way of large fish but that doesn't matter its a place I can be alone and not bothered by the outside world.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:56 PM   #39
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Deal with it

off to the grumpy forum for this one

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #40
Nebe

Excuse me but why was my post deleted??????

* oh wait.... sorry my dialup line is verrrrrrry slow. it wasnt deleted
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #41
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
Excuse me but why was my post deleted??????

* oh wait.... sorry my dialup line is verrrrrrry slow. it wasnt deleted
Now you sound like your avitar looks.
Wish I did.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #42
JoeP

Give me a break -- Paul is 1000% right. Standing in someone's boots when there is plenty of room around is just plain wrong. That is why I hate fishing in a crowd. There is always some idiot who pays no regard to etiquette, space, courtesy, etc., etc.... I've had many of those occasions when I'm into fish and some idiot comes within 5-10 feet of me, OBLIVIOUS to what is happening, and basically casts over my line. And not all of these guys were newbies...

Sorry, being shadowed by another fisherman is my biggest petpeeve. It drives me nuts.

All of you criticizing Paul for being pissed are hypocrites. You know as well as I do that if that happened to you in the dead of the night when you were into fish you would be upset too.

And Seadangles, who the heck are you and just what is your problem. All you do is make idiotic and juvenile comments on these boards. If you don't like a thread stay away. You contribute 0%.

JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #43
spence

spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #44
topwatertom

Send a message via AIM to topwatertom Send a message via Skype™ to topwatertom
I'm glad my dad has a boat and loves to teach me how to fish because you guys think your the only one's entitled to. I'm glad I dont live in Rhode Island!
topwatertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 PM   #45
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwatertom
I'm glad my dad has a boat and loves to teach me how to fish because you guys think your the only one's entitled to. I'm glad I dont live in Rhode Island!
Tom - welcome to S-B... If it were as simple as that, yeh, i would be upset too. Surfacsting is many things, to be enjoyed with your peers and freinds but also to be enjoyed in solitude, espscially if you make a long walk at Oh-Dark-Thirty. This isn't a case of standing shoulder to shoulder at the Herring Run in May, or the pictures I see of a Jersey Jetty or under Montauk light - where you get to know who is standing next to you whether you like it or not. This is a case of being hunted out in the mid of night. This is a lack of courtesy.

Your dad takes you out to teach you how to fish, and that's great. I bet if you ran into almost anyone on this site and most other avenues be it the local shop, or most guys you run into on a beach, you would get anything from a pointer or a tip to maybe having someone give you some valuable information, especially if you show courtesy, a little respect for the elders (in Piema's case, the UberElders ), and some respect for your surroundings. If someone shows up in the dead of night with sneakers and a 12 pack and camps three feet from me, I would say something too. I wouldn't want someone to break their tailbone or worse, or for that matter, make me break mine because I had to go in after them. Trust me, you don't want me to be the fine line between life and death out on some rock in a heave , odds are not good for either of us.

As far as being entitled? Nahhh. There is room for everyone. That's the thing. Sure, not every place is available for everyone. Some access is locked up solid and the only way is to tresspass. Other places tolerate some but would falter under any real pressure. Some places can handle a crowd and some can handle the beer swilling, the trash littering, and the like. But spread it out.

The surf game is significantly diffrent than the boat game and it does an injustice to both to compare them.

Lurch - I agree with you a fair bit. But just because you show ettiquette doesn't mean everyone will. Unfortunately surfasting doesn't have Bowling Rules where etiquette lets the guy on the right go first. Just always in flux. Good or bad. Yes, we need to do our part to make it better. But if someone at 3 in the morning chose to stand on the rock I was on instead of the other 40 casting rocks across a couple hundred yards of beach, I would say something too. Wouldn't screem at him like the senior diplomat, but I would try to get my point across anyway.

Dangles - do you really need to take shots at people at every turn? First its this guy, then someone else, then the moderators aren't moderating, then we're moderating too much, or just moderating the wrong stuff. Will anything make you happy? Or not crtitical at every juncture?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:02 PM   #46
Pete_G

After watching a lot of these threads over the past few months I'm glad most of "my" spots take way too long to walk to, aren't public access, are too far a swim, or are just too scary for those who haven't fished them. That and they love to give up a skunk to people who haven't figured them out yet.

And anyone who sneaks up behind me at night would be politely but firmly informed about his "sneaking".

I also completely agree on the boat end of things. No respect there either. What's most amazing in those situations is that they don't even have a clue that they are way too close. My biggest blowout on someone this year occured when someone came off plane right on top of me moments after I hooked a SBFT in a school that popped up around my boat. The fish immediately screamed off under his boat. I let that guy have it with both barrels...
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #47
whiplash
Sand pounder

spots

Ya know guys its time to take a chill pill. I can safely say that in the past 10,000 years that you are standing in somebodies footprints/bootprints and that somebody will stand in yours in the near future-GET OVER IT!!!
And they call us M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$s!!! Screw RI I'm heading to Montauk.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #48
whiplash
Sand pounder

previous post

I'm sorry I didn't realize M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ was a swear outside of Mass.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #49
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash
I'm sorry I didn't realize M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ was a swear outside of Mass.
Hehehehe - no, the board is editing out a$$hole . I am a ma$$hole to though now I live in RI...

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 PM   #50
whiplash
Sand pounder

M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$s

I like your saying about plugs and eels , I've been catching a $hit load of fish on e(%$ at S)&*%$# C%&&^ . Dont worry it's in Mass.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #51
whiplash
Sand pounder

ascared of eels

John,
Only folks from Cape Ann get ascared ! You from Glosta? You a gombadi?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #52
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Talking

piemma yer gettin soft. next time just friggin deck em

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #53
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash
John,
Only folks from Cape Ann get ascared ! You from Glosta? You a gombadi?
Nahhhh, from Dedham, more or less. And that would be phonetically "askayahd" from Cape Anne if I remember right

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 10-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #54
jbuck

It's a funny thing about ettiguette. I know it's a pain in tha a$$ out there.
This guy that you encountered had no clue, Most likly hes was not lucky enough to have somebody show him the ropes.I not saying it is anybodys responsiblty to educate all the yahoo's. A simple give me a little room here
and we will be fine may have been gone a long way.

With more and more people fishing it's not going to get less crowded on any spot.

Just think of it this way if you fall in the guy you just yelled at may have to pull you out out of the wash.
jbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #55
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

mass guys going to ri = dont know how to fish Ma

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #56
"uffah!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma
An interesting sidebar to this spot burning issue. As most of you know my partner RIRockhound and I fish 6 and sometimes 7 nights a week.
We are now seeing new people (AKA Nitwits) at spots in RI that were NOT burned.
Have we been invaded? Have these jerks been skunked at the "burned" spots and are now spreading out? Kind of like a disease? Will they infect all of SoCo?

I had the pleasure of an encounter with one of these Mensa grads 2 nights ago. This clown waded through a trought of water, climbed some rocks and stood 3 friggin' feet from me. He then ask me "How's it going?" I extended a hearty RI surfcaster welcome and told him to get off my $%#@ ROCK!!!!
He departed for greener pastures.

Let us hope that this is not an omen of the future.
''It's all Nebe's Fault"
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #57
fishaholic18
Finally

I'm in

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #58
JohnnyD

I hate you
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #59
Swede

Reminds Me of fishing Great point for a week several years ago. A bait fisherman at the time We set up camp and chummed and fished every day. Caught some real nice sandbars, bass and blues. EVERYTIME we would hook up these nitwits from hell would suddenly show up and start casting all around us, complaining our lines were in they;re way. Aggravating as hell, but being on nantucket I took the high road and said maybe you should find your own fish and not bother us. I have hated VS'S ever since
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #60
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

2005, I remember this thread like it was yesterday

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote